S K Tools

41chevy

S K tools are back . The company and tooling and owned by Ideal. They are probbly the only 100% American made tools around. Still have the SK Wayne tools my pop bought me in 1967.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/07/06/sk-making-tools-again/?refer=news

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

For several years SK was owned by French manufacturer Facom. It was probably 2009 or 2010 that Facom was obtained by The Stanley Works (Stanley/Proto). I imagine Stanley had to sell the SK brand off as part of the deal.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I have a set of SK impact sockets i've had for years,been damn good! but i gotta go with Randyp,most of my current tools are Craftsman,have always liked them,gave me good use/service. BUT,i dont make my living with them,so they serve my pupose!..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

For several years SK was owned by French manufacturer Facom. It was probably 2009 or 2010 that Facom was obtained by The Stanley Works (Stanley/Proto). I imagine Stanley had to sell the SK brand off as part of the deal.

1985 SK became part of Facom Tools. Following a takeover by Stanley Tools in 2005. In 2007 they became independent through a management buyout . they declared bankruptsey in 2010 and reopened January this year. Ideal bought the name and tooling in August 2010 and reopened in Sycamore, Illinois. They now are sold through auto tool suppliers, parts stores and SEARS. Our local Sears Hardware has more SK now than Craftsman automotive tools. Seems here if you want a Craftsman tool you go to K mart.

I've got a mix that has served me well in the business for 40 plus years, SK, Craftsman and Sears, Plumb, Snap on and MAC. Except for a few of the sockets most are original purchases. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1985 SK became part of Facom Tools. Following a takeover by Stanley Tools in 2005. In 2007 they became independent through a management buyout . they declared bankruptsey in 2010 and reopened January this year. Ideal bought the name and tooling in August 2010 and reopened in Sycamore, Illinois. They now are sold through auto tool suppliers, parts stores and SEARS. Our local Sears Hardware has more SK now than Craftsman automotive tools. Seems here if you want a Craftsman tool you go to K mart.

I've got a mix that has served me well in the business for 40 plus years, SK, Craftsman and Sears, Plumb, Snap on and MAC. Except for a few of the sockets most are original purchases. Paul

I have several different items that are S-K branded purchased through the years. I always preferred their ratches over most others and have never broken one myself even with the use of a "cheater pipe" over the end. Their screwdrivers on the other hand have never been of very good quality or could have been better. The only ones I've found worse are Craftsman, even their "professional" line due to inadequate heat treatment, (they are brittle and break the tips easily). I've also never broken one of their wrenches although have bent several when using the box end inside the open end of another for leverage.

My deceased father in law sold hardware for Sears & Roebuck for over 33 years and knew everything they offered through the mid 1980's when he retired. We used to talk of who was vendoring all hand tools, (both electric and manual) in those days and had seen quality slip from a high when Proto, and Easco were producing hand tools, with Skil producing the bulk of electric tools, to other vendors replacing them and the forthcoming reduction of quality. I don't recall any off shore manufacturers involved at the time but he retired in 1986. Corporate restructuring forced his retirement leaving him bitter and maintaining no contacts afterward.

I have an old tool box with the original name of the S-K tool brand logo, I think it is "Sherman-Klove" if I remember correctly. I'll have to look. The company was originally based in Chicago and manufactured everything there. The tool box is from the 1950's or earlier and I've had it for several years. I'll have to look it up and post a photo. Kind of a neat "hip roof" type of box.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well you just answered a question I didn't know I had. When I worked at Grumman we had all S K tools EXCEPT screw drivers...those were Snap On. Never really thought about the why. Thanks for answering an unknow question. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

On a sidely note, while back I ordered a set of half moon wrenches or obstacle wrenches or starter wrenches or whatever you call them where you live. I ordered a set of metric and standard from Northern Tool, they were dirt cheap. When they arrived, I knew by weight of box, I might as well have lubed rear end and bent over for them. Wrenches are made by Sunex, China, must have melted down at least 15 or 20 beer cans to make them. Oh well, maybe will work for a lil while,,,,,randyp

On a sidely note, while back I ordered a set of half moon wrenches or obstacle wrenches or starter wrenches or whatever you call them where you live. I ordered a set of metric and standard from Northern Tool, they were dirt cheap. When they arrived, I knew by weight of box, I might as well have lubed rear end and bent over for them. Wrenches are made by Sunex, China, must have melted down at least 15 or 20 beer cans to make them. Oh well, maybe will work for a lil while,,,,,randyp

Hate buying wrenches cause I only buy them in sets and they ain't cheap.

Most of the guys I work with won't even put up the money to buy Craftsman wrenches,let alone any kind of "specialty" wrench. Instead they have a mish-mash of Harbor Freight type crap that I wouldn't even bother melting down for scrap. Compared to them Sunnex is a high quality tool.

My preference is still Proto. Their wrenches are pretty similar to the Snap-On wrenches but cost substantially less. Mac wrenches have obnoxiously large open ends that I've never liked much. Matco and SK have been poorly represented here for a long time and I have no tools from either manufacturer.

Hate buying wrenches cause I only buy them in sets and they ain't cheap.

Most of the guys I work with won't even put up the money to buy Craftsman wrenches,let alone any kind of "specialty" wrench. Instead they have a mish-mash of Harbor Freight type crap that I wouldn't even bother melting down for scrap. Compared to them Sunnex is a high quality tool.

My preference is still Proto. Their wrenches are pretty similar to the Snap-On wrenches but cost substantially less. Mac wrenches have obnoxiously large open ends that I've never liked much. Matco and SK have been poorly represented here for a long time and I have no tools from either manufacturer.

I never could get along with the varying Snap-On tool vendors that stopped by the shop. I've never carried a balance on any tool truck and maybe that is why. The displayed arrogance of what is seemingly prevelant with that company's route drivers has precluded me from making purchases from them. My main wrench set is S-K and I've had it for years since everything started switching to metric on automobiles around 1977. My SAE set is actually "KAL" branded which was an american company and the wrenches were forged in Japan. Never have broken anything in either set. My impact deep well sockets are all S-K and I've never found fault with them except difficult to read for sizing. I favor Mac sockets overall except cost. I also have some "Wright" tooling which I really like well and would continue to purchase the brand but the only somewhat local dealer is a fraud, (my opinion). What they did to my father in law will not allow another "Craftsman" tool purchase in my shop, EVER. Armstrong was always another good tool provider but there is no representation for them here.

I do wish PROTO had a rep around here as I'd purchase tools from them. They too make some good ratchets the seem to hold up well. I still prefer my 60 tooth S-K ratchets for everyday usage and hopefully there will be some warranty recourse as I've got a couple that are just worn out from use over the years. The tool trucks have stopped coming to the shop due to nobody here during the day, (and not wanting to deal with me probably) so I've primarily switched to mail order. I ordered a set of 3/4 drive impact sockets from Grey Pneumatic and have been exceptionally pleased with them. I plan to order a full set of 3/4" deep sockets from them also but the $1100.00 price needs to be budgeted for. I've ordered several impact wrenches online, and rebuild kits for the same without problems.

It's amazing what can be purchased through the internet; you just need to know what you are after.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I think the "Laser etched" boldly marked sockets are the best invention since sliced bread,,,randyp

I agree. A lot of things suck about getting old, but one of the most aggravating is having to wear glasses while trying to work on something just to read the damn socket size.

Picked up a set of Gear Wrench flex ratchets. The 1/2" promptly broke at the socket square. Been waiting since November for a warranty replacement from Fastenall. Do not but Gear Wrench if you need something reliable or deal with Fastenall if you want warranty service.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Ratchet-wise I prefer Mac's flex handles. Snap-On's are too fine and tend to strip out internally. My high dollar Snap-On 3/8 drive torque/angle wrench crapped out on my (electrically) the other day, cost 75-80 dollars to get repaired, came back like new though. I think the complete handle was replaced.

I agree. A lot of things suck about getting old, but one of the most aggravating is having to wear glasses while trying to work on something just to read the damn socket size.

Picked up a set of Gear Wrench flex ratchets. The 1/2" promptly broke at the socket square. Been waiting since November for a warranty replacement from Fastenall. Do not but Gear Wrench if you need something reliable or deal with Fastenall if you want warranty service.

You are correct on both accounts. When the flex head ratchets came out I had to have some. They have since been returned due to breakage constantly. Don't own a set now.

Rob

I guess bout 2 or 3 years ago, I broke down and bought me a set of thin pump wrenches, for working on hydraulics and servos and related stuff. I know they were pricy as hell, I think they ran close to 300 bucks. I would have to go look but I think they are Martin brand. But, they are super handy dealing with hydraulic pumps, motors, etc. They are a very strong, thin, well made set of wrenches. I like em, just didnt like the price, but have prolly paid for themselves,,,randyp

Ratchet-wise I prefer Mac's flex handles. Snap-On's are too fine and tend to strip out internally. My high dollar Snap-On 3/8 drive torque/angle wrench crapped out on my (electrically) the other day, cost 75-80 dollars to get repaired, came back like new though. I think the complete handle was replaced.

Gotta agree there,i have a set of MAC flex handles as well,real good tools! i also have a small socket set from Mac that i carry on the truck with a unique design,its called a "side-winder" works just like a traditional ratchet,but has a "faucet" like handle on the end of the bar,which can be used like a speed-handle,and it also has a very handy universal joint,one of the best tools i own for getting into a confined space. I also like the fact that the sockets "positive lock" on the ratchet,making them damn near impossible to drop off!...............Mark

I think the "Laser etched" boldly marked sockets are the best invention since sliced bread,,,randyp

Can we get an AMEN?!!! i agree,my eyes aint what they used to be!............Mark

It's amazing what can be purchased through the internet; you just need to know what you are after.

Rob

Have to agree about the internet-like the grill I just bought, and digital cameras, I always google things before I buy to see other people's reviews and comments, and just to learn more about it, even if I go to Wal-Mart or somewhere and get it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Have to agree about the internet-like the grill I just bought, and digital cameras, I always google things before I buy to see other people's reviews and comments, and just to learn more about it, even if I go to Wal-Mart or somewhere and get it.

I purchase entirely too much from the internet. "Momma" says I spend too much time on the internet too.......

Rob

10-4 on the internet stuff! 59,000 miles ago I bought a bargain priced timing belt for my lil chevy aveo parts chasing car, it slipped at 59,000. it was 35.00 online, made in bumscrew, albania, didnt last long. I bought current one from GM, it was 120.00 and when I held old belt and GM belt side by side, there was a world of difference! GM belt was much heavier and thicker. The factory belt on it went 92,000 miles before it slipped and was supposed to be changed at 60,000. Its an interference engine, but luckily has slipped while cranking both times so no damage. I learned my lesson this time anyway,,,randyp

10-4 on the internet stuff! 59,000 miles ago I bought a bargain priced timing belt for my lil chevy aveo parts chasing car, it slipped at 59,000. it was 35.00 online, made in bumscrew, albania, didnt last long. I bought current one from GM, it was 120.00 and when I held old belt and GM belt side by side, there was a world of difference! GM belt was much heavier and thicker. The factory belt on it went 92,000 miles before it slipped and was supposed to be changed at 60,000. Its an interference engine, but luckily has slipped while cranking both times so no damage. I learned my lesson this time anyway,,,randyp

Damned lucky. You smack a piston in that engine and it's not worth repairing most times.

Rob

I have several different items that are S-K branded purchased through the years. I always preferred their ratches over most others and have never broken one myself even with the use of a "cheater pipe" over the end. Their screwdrivers on the other hand have never been of very good quality or could have been better. The only ones I've found worse are Craftsman, even their "professional" line due to inadequate heat treatment, (they are brittle and break the tips easily).

Rob

This one seems to be holding up.............

post-99-0-12663500-1310342548_thumb.jpg