My Dad's Transtar Ii

SAC B52

B52, here's a couple of teasers for you, these were taken at the Rolls-Royce Aviation Heritage Invitational at last year's air races. I'll try to post some more on the other thread I started as I get the chance,

Russ

wow,,that otta get his attention,,,sure got mine!!!!russ have you ever seen that DC10 down on 99?....bob

B52, here's a couple of teasers for you, these were taken at the Rolls-Royce Aviation Heritage Invitational at last year's air races. I'll try to post some more on the other thread I started as I get the chance,

Russ

Wow!!! Love the pics mowerman was right!!! I will get a bunch on Saturday and post when I get a chance.. I love this stuff being an aircraft mechanic myself. Just meeting the heros they have there is a pleasure too. Lots of former Aces have been there.. My Hero Donald Strait will be there this year.. He was a double ace in the famous P-51D "Jersey Jerk" he was originally from East Orange NJ. Check Google images if you get a chance that P-51 has a really cool diamond pattern cowl

post-8618-0-06886300-1306954486_thumb.jp

Well all these old truck pics flung a craving on me, had to dig a few out,,,from old log hauling days, pulpwood included. I had 2 transtars hauling logs, older one with 350 and 13 speed and newer one 290 and 13 speed. I had some older trucks, old GMC longnose with detroit, few old whites, some old macks, I cant find all pics, will have to look a while. I am really looking for some I have of a homemade log skidder,,later,,randyp

post-4330-0-28205700-1306960913_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Well all these old truck pics flung a craving on me, had to dig a few out,,,from old log hauling days, pulpwood included. I had 2 transtars hauling logs, older one with 350 and 13 speed and newer one 290 and 13 speed. I had some older trucks, old GMC longnose with detroit, few old whites, some old macks, I cant find all pics, will have to look a while. I am really looking for some I have of a homemade log skidder,,later,,randyp

Real nice randyp! I really love those Transtars. I'm eyeing one down the road from my Inlaws house.. It's been sitting for at least six years.I see the guy tinkering around with it once in awhile. I may stop by on Sunday just to chat with him. It has the alluminum Buds on the front like yours in the first pic, I think it has Daytons on the rear.

old crown loader and jammin jimmy with long, long hood, 318 detroit, straight twin stacks, make your head pound!!

Thats some good ones right there! i always liked that long hood GMC,thought they was a neat looking truck!there was one around home when i was younger,with a 12V-71 in it,pulled a dump trailer,that sucker was LOUD!!!!!!!!!...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Guess i skipped a few steps in the old truck pictures! i started out driving for my Grandfather,when he retired in 83" decided to sell the farm,part of the deal was that most of the equipment,trucks,tractors etc. were part of the deal and went with the land,so that put me pretty much out of a job,so i was lucky enough to get a job driving for another local farmer,doing mostly dump trailer work while contracted to a small trucking company.I hauled mainly glass sand,some gravel,stone etc. i really liked this truck,1977 R-model,300 plus,with a Mack 12 speed,was geared to run about 72 mph! i did this for about a year,i never really got comfortable with the end-dump,always thought i was gonna turn the damn thing over!...........Mark

post-5836-0-48136600-1306980830_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-78400900-1306980845_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-92012600-1306980853_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Yeah Mark, that jimmie there had bout half the floorboard missing, and was noisy as hell. In that pic with the 5 of us, im the one with all the hair and shirt open. The lil guy on end with red cap was a direct descendant of Geronimo. He was okay if you didnt let him within 20 feet of alcohol. He got his windpipe severed in Oklahoma bout 10 years after that pic and died in a bar parking lot. I dropped trousers in woods after lunch one day after that pic and got bit on buttock by a smallish copperhead. It was ugly,,,,,,,randyp

i wish i had that 77 r-model right now Mark,,,cool,,,randyp

That was a dam good truck! only thing i did'nt like about it was,it had a straight-pipe,end of a 8-10 hour day i was deaf! LOL!............Mark

old crown loader and jammin jimmy with long, long hood, 318 detroit, straight twin stacks, make your head pound!!

randy,

There was a truckin co out here on the east coast called Wilson Freight,they must have had 100 of those long GMC's my friend Rocky was a mechanic for them an they were all 318's an they were LOUD!!! but they ran the piss out of them an you could not kill em!!

BULLHUSK PS I think Wilson Freight was a Midwest co out of IL

Randy- love the pics of the Transtars- one of my favorite trucks after the old Macks

First truck I ever rode in was a CO4000 IH, owned by the same guy I bought the B75 in my profile pic from.

Russ

Bob- Not sure- where on 99 ? Haven't been on 99 since the mid 80's. Loved the B17 parked next to 99.

Russ

ya,the b17 is still there,,the dc10,is just south of elkgrove lahanton airport i think.speaking of 99.you know norm taunton?he,s in galt,buys,and sells macks,and parts..got tons of macks..i buy allota stuff from him...bob

Don't know Norm, but if he's got a ton of Macks sounds like our kind of guy

Russ

ya,,he,s a real swell guy also...i had been passing his place for like 25 years,and wondered what was up with all the macks,finally i met him at a truck show in fontana around 5 years ago..he buys and sells mack trucks,and parts,,he has allotta stuff,reasonable prices,,excellant guy to trade with,,i wish i had allot more money to spend there,,,talk about a candy store.lol...bob

watta crew!!!!

Great pictures Randy, reminds me of my younger days- I cut a little pulpwood myself when I was still in high school, with a borrowed Ford F-600. That's hard work! Seemed like everybody and their brother had an old 2 ton truck, or a 1 ton if they were a 1 or 2 man operation, and cut pulpwood then. That's when the woodyards bought 5' billets and you could cut and load it by hand, all the equipment you really needed was a truck and a Homelite XL-12.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Thats some good ones right there! i always liked that long hood GMC,thought they was a neat looking truck!there was one around home when i was younger,with a 12V-71 in it,pulled a dump trailer,that sucker was LOUD!!!!!!!!!...........Mark

Found this old picture in my race album. This was taken at Rockingham, N.C. sometime in the '80s. They used to have "big rig races" then, but they decided the trucks tore the tracks up too bad and they stopped. I remember a lot of truck racers ran old Sterling trucks when they could find them.

This was not taken at a truck race, it just ran an exhibition lap before a regular NASCAR race.

I remember seeing these trucks too,we went to a "big truck" race at Dover Delaware once,it was a nightmare! the track was banked WAY too steep for the trucks to run! i saw a lot of iron wrecked that day!i remember seeing a Corbitt truck,an Emeryville,and a REALLY nice W-900 KW,was orange/black ,double sleeper (flatop) with real chrome steel wheels,seems to me it was a twin-turbo KTA-600 Cummins,i can;t remember the guys name,but i think the truck was from NC,or TN was sponsered by "racoon mountain syrup" or something like that. Also remember there was a woman driver, shawna robinson??? she was running a 9500 series GMC like the one in your picture......................Mark

I remember seeing these trucks too,we went to a "big truck" race at Dover Delaware once,it was a nightmare! the track was banked WAY too steep for the trucks to run! i saw a lot of iron wrecked that day!i remember seeing a Corbitt truck,an Emeryville,and a REALLY nice W-900 KW,was orange/black ,double sleeper (flatop) with real chrome steel wheels,seems to me it was a twin-turbo KTA-600 Cummins,i can;t remember the guys name,but i think the truck was from NC,or TN was sponsered by "racoon mountain syrup" or something like that. Also remember there was a woman driver, shawna robinson??? she was running a 9500 series GMC like the one in your picture......................Mark

That might be Shawna, I don't know. The only name I remember is a Charlie Baker,I think anyway-I know it was a Baker, whether he was kin to Buck and Buddy I have no idea.

I also remember they had a terrible time trying to keep steer tires from blowing out, and the series didn't last very long at all.

Ther's several youtube videos of big truck races-