My Dad's Transtar Ii

SAC B52

I've been trying to dig up old pics when I get a chance to. This is one of my favorite's of my Dad. He had just pulled in on this summer afternoon with a new Transtar II. Needless to say I was the proudest kid on the Block!!!! I remember it was white with red interior 350 Cummins and 9 speed. I always loved these Transtars, they had such a cool look to them. His last run in this truck was to New Orleans out of Newark N.J. running flatbeds.. a long time ago. Sorry the picture is so worn out.. I've had it on every visor of every truck I drove.

post-8618-0-39298300-1306636749_thumb.jp

Gotta love these old pictures! i really enjoy seeing pictures from other trucking "families" lotta memories wrapped up in them for sure! heres one of my dad with his new IH CO-4000 circa 1966.............Mark

post-5836-0-16322500-1306640944_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Gotta love these old pictures! i really enjoy seeing pictures from other trucking "families" lotta memories wrapped up in them for sure! heres one of my dad with his new IH CO-4070 circa 1966.............Mark

You're right Vision 386! Alot of memories indeed. Dad and I were just talking about that today, he came over after Church to see the kids. I always was proud of my Dad, he's my hero and I always tried to be like him. He was from the "old school" of driving. He said he always dressed clean and acted like a gentlemen. He use to say, just cause you've been on the road for 9 days doesn't mean you can't comb your hair and brush your teeth.. lol

Completely agree! i'm a 3rd generation driver myself,my grandfather drove trucks and farmed in south jersey almost 60 years,my dad ran trucks for almost 50 years,both are gone now,and there isnt a day goes by that i dont miss them! between the two they taught me most all i know about the trucking business (which was about half they knew!) my dad was also from the "old school" of drivers,clean courteous,and professional i have always tryed to conduct myself in the same manner.Not as easy as it used to be,considering the caliber of drivers out there today. I've been on the road almost 30 years now,and it seems to get worse everyday! the pride and professional coutesy among drivers is almost completely non-existant anymore!.......................Mark

you know mark i grew up pretty much the same way as you did,,third generation driver,and nowadays you cant even get anyone to key up on the cb,and say anything anymore,,out here,and everyone snubbs me in the truckstops...was wondering if it was the same way,back in the east coast...i mean not a friggen peep all nite on that radio..bob

Your right! I actually got out of driving and I'm working in supervision now. I miss it some days, but not very often.. I still love trucks and that's why enjoy a site like this with people like yourself and other good guys, who remember the way it was.I keep my CDL cause sometimes I take some of my friends trucks for a little spin, just to stay sharp!I would love to pick up an old H-67 or a nice COE Transtar just to have fun with..Maybe even an Emeryville?

Your right! I actually got out of driving and I'm working in supervision now. I miss it some days, but not very often.. I still love trucks and that's why enjoy a site like this with people like yourself and other good guys, who remember the way it was.I keep my CDL cause sometimes I take some of my friends trucks for a little spin, just to stay sharp!I would love to pick up an old H-67 or a nice COE Transtar just to have fun with..Maybe even an Emeryville?

you know the nice thing is,most of all the cool old stuff sells for between $1200,and$5000..for 5 g,s you can buy one road ready..thier cheaper than antique cars.lol...bob

I've been trying to dig up old pics when I get a chance to. This is one of my favorite's of my Dad. He had just pulled in on this summer afternoon with a new Transtar II. Needless to say I was the proudest kid on the Block!!!! I remember it was white with red interior 350 Cummins and 9 speed. I always loved these Transtars, they had such a cool look to them. His last run in this truck was to New Orleans out of Newark N.J. running flatbeds.. a long time ago. Sorry the picture is so worn out.. I've had it on every visor of every truck I drove.

First truck I drove was a 1974 4070A Transtar.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Gotta love these old pictures! i really enjoy seeing pictures from other trucking "families" lotta memories wrapped up in them for sure! heres one of my dad with his new IH CO-4070 circa 1966.............Mark

LOL, actually I thought that was Elvis standing in front of that there truck.

mike

Mark, Being around 1966 I would say that is a CO-4000, which pre-dated the 4070. I have only seen shutters on 4000's, never on a 4070.

Our fleet of 8 1974 4070's and shortly after 3 1975 4070B's were added. the unit numbers ran from 280 through 290.

post-45-0-48435600-1306718274_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-30007100-1306718340_thumb.jpg

I looked in my oldest photo album and found these bad pictures of Transtars. That's what H.H. Moore mostly had, with a few KW's and Macks. Later he went to mostly Kenworth K100s. These pictures are old, some are polaroids and they just don't age well at all, and I just couldn't take a decent picture then apparently.

This is the first truck I drove for H.H.Moore,a 1974 Transtar with a VT903 Cummins and 13 speed direct trans. The 13 speeds i'd driven before were overdrives, much more common, and this transmission took a little while to get used to because the splitter worked backwards- direct was in the same place but when you moved the button clockwise it went to underdrive, which was a down shift.

The first picture was taken at the old Ponderosa Truckstop at the bottom of North Mountain, near Clifton Forge, Va. I was either on the way to Covington with a load of chips or was empty and on the way back to Dillwyn.

I drove the International until I got this '77 F-model.

F-model with a chip trailer and my brother's combine.

This was a nice Transtar Eagle with a 350 Cummins and 13 speed. The driver that wrecked this truck only lives about a mile from me now.

After looking at the picture, the good thing is: The driver that wrecked this truck only lives about a mile from me now.

Yeah, he went back to driving after he recovered. He has pins, screws, bolts, nails, staples, gorilla tape, and elmers glue in his ankle but that was actually about all the damage he got. His feet were caught up in there somewhere and it took hours to free him from the truck, but looking at it you wouldn't think he survived.

Mark, Being around 1966 I would say that is a CO-4000, which pre-dated the 4070. I have only seen shutters on 4000's, never on a 4070.

Our fleet of 8 1974 4070's and shortly after 3 1975 4070B's were added. the unit numbers ran from 280 through 290.

Terry,i'm sure you are right,i get the 2 confused a lot of the time,but i do know this picture was taken around 1966,this was a VT-903,10 speed R/R best i can remember.................Mark

Tom,i sure like seeing these pictures,even if sometimes their not the greatest! my dad liked the IH Transtars,he thought they were good trucks. The one in the picture was also a 903 Cummins (which my grandfather called a "9-0 Nuthin'") he had this one till 1971 when he ordered a brand new White-Freightliner C.O.E which was a 1693 TA caterpillar,13 speed road-ranger he leased on with North American van lines and stayed there for almost 30 years,he always told me the 1693 was one of the best engines he ever had. I always liked the looks of that Transtar Eagle,was a nice truck,the guy wrecked that one was sure lucky,looks bad!..........Mark

post-5836-0-76629900-1306766536_thumb.jp

Tom,i sure like seeing these pictures,even if sometimes their not the greatest! my dad liked the IH Transtars,he thought they were good trucks. The one in the picture was also a 903 Cummins (which my grandfather called a "9-0 Nuthin'") he had this one till 1971 when he ordered a brand new White-Freightliner C.O.E which was a 1693 TA caterpillar,13 speed road-ranger he leased on with North American van lines and stayed there for almost 30 years,he always told me the 1693 was one of the best engines he ever had. I always liked the looks of that Transtar Eagle,was a nice truck,the guy wrecked that one was sure lucky,looks bad!..........Mark

Yeah, a 903 wasn't exactly known as a powerhouse. The VT's had a little more power, but they were about the same a driving a 318 Detroit- more famous for that V8 sound than how they pulled!

But, back then it held it's own. Most of the other Transtars had 290's in them with 10 speeds, only a few had 350's.

That was one of only 2 Eagles H.H. had, they were the fancy version. The other one was the pride of the fleet, it had the two tone blue with white stripes paint job, twice pipes, and the only 400 Cummins he had.

I looked in my oldest photo album and found these bad pictures of Transtars. That's what H.H. Moore mostly had, with a few KW's and Macks. Later he went to mostly Kenworth K100s. These pictures are old, some are polaroids and they just don't age well at all, and I just couldn't take a decent picture then apparently.

This is the first truck I drove for H.H.Moore,a 1974 Transtar with a VT903 Cummins and 13 speed direct trans. The 13 speeds i'd driven before were overdrives, much more common, and this transmission took a little while to get used to because the splitter worked backwards- direct was in the same place but when you moved the button clockwise it went to underdrive, which was a down shift.

The first picture was taken at the old Ponderosa Truckstop at the bottom of North Mountain, near Clifton Forge, Va. I was either on the way to Covington with a load of chips or was empty and on the way back to Dillwyn.

I drove the International until I got this '77 F-model.

F-model with a chip trailer and my brother's combine.

This was a nice Transtar Eagle with a 350 Cummins and 13 speed. The driver that wrecked this truck only lives about a mile from me now.

Wow! great photos gentlemen, Thanks Terry T, yours were great too!... They were really cool trucks.

you know mark i grew up pretty much the same way as you did,,third generation driver,and nowadays you cant even get anyone to key up on the cb,and say anything anymore,,out here,and everyone snubbs me in the truckstops...was wondering if it was the same way,back in the east coast...i mean not a friggen peep all nite on that radio..bob

Yeah mowerman, you're right. Most of the drivers are Knuckleheads.. Try geeting someone to give you the lights when you pass them.. It's nearly impossible. Over here in Jersey half of them look like they drive for Taliban Transport.

I just love the look of those CO F-Liners!!.... The one I would like to have?? How about one of those F-Liners co Day Cabs with a V12 71 Detroit like the ones Kingsway from Canada used to run!!Yah now datts what I'm talkin about!! those are some nice pic's guys keep em commin!!

Ernie D

I just love the look of those CO F-Liners!!.... The one I would like to have?? How about one of those F-Liners co Day Cabs with a V12 71 Detroit like the ones Kingsway from Canada used to run!!Yah now datts what I'm talkin about!! those are some nice pic's guys keep em commin!!

Ernie D

bullhusk I built this just for you lol.. I love those COE shakers toooo!

post-8618-0-07171200-1306775098_thumb.jp

Yeah mowerman, you're right. Most of the drivers are Knuckleheads.. Try geeting someone to give you the lights when you pass them.. It's nearly impossible. Over here in Jersey half of them look like they drive for Taliban Transport.

ah,appreciate the responce...was wondering if any one noticed my bellyachin?.and i thought maybe it was just here!.i miss those days hookin up with a complete stranger,and wind up rappin on the radio,till someone had to leave the highway for thier ramp..and now im stuck in this racket,,till at least 12 more years..eeeeeeewwww!!!.have a splendid memorial day fellars..seeya bob

some more old pictures from the album-

inside front cover-i'd just finished washing the black T800 with the 444 Cummins and 18 speed. Notice my T-shirt is soaked with sweat from my hard labor (for that matter,notice I had lots of hair, and it was dark- unlike today!). At this time I was driving the pride of the fleet! My old '64 Scout and my mud bogger's there too,a '71 Scout with Chevy running gear.

Had my cb handle on the door of the F-model

'79 F-model I drove

First KW,1983,350 Cummins

more KWs I drove,'84 and '85 models with 400 Cummins. The '85 was the first truck I drove with an engine brake.

Inside the back cover-I saved these when they were about to be thrown out at H.H. Moore's.

Pretty much the whole fleet. That's the other Transtar Eagle on the end of the back row, and H.H. and his wife Evelyn standing by the pickup. The IH next to it might be another Eagle-I know it had a 400 Cummins-but H.H. bought it from Montague-Betts when they went out of business.

• Like 1