Rd688 Rebuild

What do you guys think it would cost to totally rebuild a 96 RD688. Minus the engine ( was rebuilt 120,000 miles ago). Just the cost of parts no labor. Id like to rebuild trans, rears front end steering gearbox ect. I have considered a new truck but between the emissions and all the taxes it may be worth wild to rebuild my old truck.

What do you guys think it would cost to totally rebuild a 96 RD688. Minus the engine ( was rebuilt 120,000 miles ago). Just the cost of parts no labor. Id like to rebuild trans, rears front end steering gearbox ect. I have considered a new truck but between the emissions and all the taxes it may be worth wild to rebuild my old truck.

I don't know anybody that would rebuild components on a "casual" basis unless worn/defective but if you did all the work yourself I think $15,000 would cover the expenses. Of course your labor is worth something so that would be subjective.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

ya,,like rob says,there,,its not really very commen,or nessesary,my personal feeling is to keep on truckin,if you have got a rebuilt engine,,truck is not that old,change things as they go out,,listen for howling,or whining in the driveline as you go along,change oil in transmission,and rearends,suggested by mack.watch for shavings.other than that,your throwing your money away,,like last time i checked,mack bogies,were $3500 a piece,exchange,rebuild box $900...good luck....bob

• Like 1

I agree... Today I'm riding an '84 BMW with a '91 Motorvation sidecar. About 110k on the bike, but heads have never been off, transmissions never been apart, etc.. Just normal maintainence, tires, and new exhaust system. The sidecar I bought used, it had seen little use so all it needed was a new tire, replace a broken shock, and rattle can paint to match the bike. Yet every day I hear of people totally "restoring" bikes of similar age with much lower mileage. An't no point in fixing what ain't broken...

It's similar with Mack trucks. In fact, the Mack transmission and rears will usually outlast the truck. If they need rebuilding, rebuild them... But if not, spend your money on wiring, hoses, etc.. That's the stuff that's more likely to give trouble on an older truck.

What gave me this idea is the Caterpillar Certified rebuild program. Cat dealers completlety dissasemble a machine like a D8 Dozer and rebuild it with rebuilt componets, new wirring, hoses, engine, trans, final drives, paint and so on. When finished the machine is like new and cheaper than a brand new replacemnt. My thoughts are because of The FET tax on a new truck and all the problems with new emmisions. It may be worth it to rebuild an old truck that I already own opposed to buying new. The Truck has howls, whines and vibrations. There is play in componets and oil leaks. It has given me exceptional service but its time to rebuild it or get rid of it. I agree with the if it aint broke dont fix it mentalety but when something shows signs of excessive weat to me it is basicly broke and needs to be fixed.

• 10 years later...

I too am interested in rebuilding my fleet of six RD688 dump trucks. They actually all run and still do a great job. The downtime for minor repairs is getting to be a problem. They are all close to 20 years old and need frame up rebuild so I can get another 20 years of great service. I would assume we are talking at least 50 percent of the price of a new truck. I just need someone to do the work. I am located in Birmingham, Alabama but could ship them anywhere in the United States.

• 3 weeks later...