Mack B61T Starting

Leave the compound in a gear and just shift the 5 spd. You'll be tool'n along in no time. Just bobtailing you don't need alot of gears to move it.

Sounds like a turbo motor? Lotsa smoke too!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hey Tom nice video! thanks for posting,sure nice to see another one saved from the scrap heap! did you know Port Norris Express is still in business? reason i ask, is they always took pictures of all their trucks when they were new,going back as far as the late 1940's possible they might even have a picture of this one when it was new, or some more info on it,so i thought i'd pass along their contact info............Mark

Port Norris Express Co.Inc.

1788 North Ave.

Port Norris,NJ

08349 (856) 785-0147

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Change the Port Norris sign to North Jersey Mosquito Control Inc. and put her to work. It'll help pay for the rehab.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Freighttrain- I tried that once before but all i kept on doing was grinding them gears! So i kept it in first and did a whole 4 mph :banana: Gonna try again after this darn rain stops!!!

Rhasler- Yea ive been getting a few good ol' stares when i start her up. People dont even know what this thing is... They just think its a pile of junk... Boy if someone said that to my face they'd have some bruising! lol

remaman86- Thank you! If your in the area of Sussex County, feel free to stop by!

Vision386- Thanks Mark! Ive been trying to get ahold of them for quit sometime now. I did a bit of research on them and got there info too... But the guys voice mailbox is always full. Ill try again soon! Hopefully they have some good pictures and maybe its original engine?! Man i do dream alot :pat: lol Thanks Mark!!

Fxfymn- I'm actually thinking about that one! lol

hatcity- I totally agree... These :mack1: s really can pure...

Thanks alot guys,

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Shifting hint on big trucks> You have to run it up on rpms, then shift. Wait for the rpms to drop down about 1000 rpm and then try to slip it back in gear(when only shifting the main box). You can't force it like a car(synchronized trans). The splits are only like 300 rpm drop. Might find it easier to not use the clutch to "feel" when it's time to slip back into gear.

Run it up to 2000 rpm, ease off the throttle and pull it out of gear, as the rpm drops about 1000 rpm, start to feel it back into the next gear. Be ready to get it IN when it happens or you'll miss it. If so, just bump the throttle and quickly try again. If the truck slows too much you'll never get it.

Believe me, I had a RUDE awakening when I got my truck and trying to figure it out(and I'm a real stick shift kinda guy). Just takes time/practice. Go to Youtube and watch my shifting videos to get an idea of the timing.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks Freighttrain! I appreciate it! Supposed to be 67 in Northern NJ this weekend so ill give it another go! Ill take you guys for the ride and upload it... Only if i dont fail epically lol

Thanks again,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Good news guys!!! I finally got around to takin the old B model out for a spin... Well long story short i finally got it out of first gear and actually in 4th high going up my street!!! Well my neighbors weren't to happy but i was smiling ear to ear till the Popo showed up... They didnt say anything... But lets just say im not liked in my neighbor hood because of all the LOUD and obnoxious toys i have LOL... Oh well. Im moving in a few months anyway... :banana:

Thanks for listening...

Tom :SMOKIE-LFT:

Good news guys!!! I finally got around to takin the old B model out for a spin... Well long story short i finally got it out of first gear and actually in 4th high going up my street!!! Well my neighbors weren't to happy but i was smiling ear to ear till the Popo showed up... They didnt say anything... But lets just say im not liked in my neighbor hood because of all the LOUD and obnoxious toys i have LOL... Oh well. Im moving in a few months anyway... :banana:

Thanks for listening...

And they'll all miss you when you're gone

Russ

Thanks for listening...

Tom,Good to see you finally got to stretch her legs a little! hell with the neighbors! long as you're not breaking the law! theres a lot worse things you could be doing ya know? besides,everybody loves the smell of diesel smoke!dont they? BTW, happy (belated) birthday!.............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Tom,Good to see you finally got to stretch her legs a little! hell with the neighbors! long as you're not breaking the law! theres a lot worse things you could be doing ya know? besides,everybody loves the smell of diesel smoke!dont they? BTW, happy (belated) birthday!.............Mark

LOL yea it was a great feeling to hear that mack engine purr going up a hill. Black smoke everywhere... Just a great feeling!!! Thanks for the B day wishes!!! Finally 17 now lol.

ya,,baby...its quite a rush first time you take em out..woohoo..doesnt look like its starts too hard...mine wont even go without starting flouid,,looks like yot your electrical problem fixed..good deal..bob