Vehicle: Mack F785T (1970)

Underdog

Name: Mack F785T (1970)

Date Added: 21 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

Owner: Underdog

Short Description: None Provided

View Vehicle

Adopted another Bulldog Saturday. Single axle tractor similar to my 1963 F. Things didn't go entirely as planned. I drove this truck 50 miles to get it home, but the last 5 were on the hook with a locked up differential, probably due to low oil level. I am surprised we made it as far as we did.

Gregg

post-2694-0-92620100-1298315857_thumb.jp

With a little help, we made it home.

Well, that's a shame to see a Mack on a wrecker no matter how commonplace for a Pete. From the photo it looks to be worth working with. Should make for a fun little run around vehicle.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Name: Mack F785T (1970)

Date Added: 21 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

Owner: Underdog

Short Description: None Provided

View Vehicle

Adopted another Bulldog Saturday. Single axle tractor similar to my 1963 F. Things didn't go entirely as planned. I drove this truck 50 miles to get it home, but the last 5 were on the hook with a locked up differential, probably due to low oil level. I am surprised we made it as far as we did.

Gregg

That's not fair, now you have 2 and I don't have any!! I went up to Cairo NY last weekend to look at the 71 F785ST but too much work for me. Well good luck with your addition and maybe oneday I'll stop in to see you. :(:(

Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the BUG!!!

That's not fair, now you have 2 and I don't have any!! I went up to Cairo NY last weekend to look at the 71 F785ST but too much work for me. Well good luck with your addition and maybe oneday I'll stop in to see you. :(:(

I have seen that Blue F on Old Mack's site and it looks like its in great shape. I am just curious as to why you believe its too much work. Do you see any major problems?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I have seen that Blue F on Old Mack's site and it looks like its in great shape. I am just curious as to why you believe its too much work. Do you see any major problems?

That's just it, in the pics it looks good or else I woulndn,t go all the way up there to look at it. The chassis, eng,trans all in very good shape. The cabis restorable but not with the limited assets I have and to pay someone would put me in the poor house!! Under side has some seriuos rust, a lot of the welding done was of the amature nature, you can't weld to rust. The passenger side probably the worst, the front windshield pillar (I believe is all bondo), the top of cab and gutter line have some major issues. Most of the work done so far has not been done right. I don't want to sound like I'm bad mouthing this truck, it's just that I've done a lot of welding and fabricating along with my son who is a welder/fabricator by trade and I know what it would take to make it right but that's more than I'm looking for. :( Bob

Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the BUG!!!

That's just it, in the pics it looks good or else I woulndn,t go all the way up there to look at it. The chassis, eng,trans all in very good shape. The cabis restorable but not with the limited assets I have and to pay someone would put me in the poor house!! Under side has some seriuos rust, a lot of the welding done was of the amature nature, you can't weld to rust. The passenger side probably the worst, the front windshield pillar (I believe is all bondo), the top of cab and gutter line have some major issues. Most of the work done so far has not been done right. I don't want to sound like I'm bad mouthing this truck, it's just that I've done a lot of welding and fabricating along with my son who is a welder/fabricator by trade and I know what it would take to make it right but that's more than I'm looking for.   :( Bob

that's the good thing about my G model (and everyone else's)........         all aluminum cab.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

Looks good to me even if it did need a little "assistance" in the end. Now that you have "bookend" early F model single axles, what's going in the middle? :lol:

I've looked at the pics of the blue one on Old Mack's, later cab and it looks like even the doghouse has been welded on the passengers side was what turned me off of that one. Now, that RL763 he brought back from the Hitching's auction is another story.....:thumb:

They are bookends for now... The one that just arrived was also originally red so that makes it even closer to my 1963. I have to get with the museum to know for sure but these two F's may be related somehow. Similar spec's and also similar maintenance practices over the years makes me think they were housed in the same garage.

My plan is for the 785 to be an air-ride twin screw. My 607 is too nice an original truck to cut and modify so that is why I just had to go out and find another.

Gregg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Gregg not nice to see that mack on the hook of any kind other than an good old MACK with a step deck trailer Hoping to look at my frame in a couple of week when the wheather gets better just remember we do not haul old MACKS, we HAUL NEW ones too. C-607 MACK

Underdog, I also found out how it feels to have the ole dog towed. It hurts real bad when ya put the hand in your butt pocket and pull it out. And all tha time worried if they break or bend something. I lost a new rubber chock in my last towing episode. To top that off he wanted me to send him a picture of my truck. It was a Sterling that towed me. They sent a triaxle Peterbilt out when I only requested a single axle wrecker. They could not pull the cable out because it was hung up and frayed badly, so they fought with it and wasted my time since I was late for work and finally had to go get the single axle Sterling anyway. Question, were these people former professors or something? You can't even suggest, or request what you need to them. :blink:

Congradulations on your truck!

mike