Switching To Screw On Oil Filters

Freightrain

Ok, I know it's a easy switch, but need to ask: Do I need to change the fittings on the oil filter housing on the side of the block? Or will I just plumb the screw on filter housing to fit?

I have the full flow/bypass(3 hose design). I guess I'll cap the small return line(plug it at the block).

What I've been dealing with for the last 9 yrs is constant draining of the old filter housing, which makes it take 10-20 second to get oil pressure after sitting a week or so. After looking at a manual I have, I see there is suppose to be a drainback valve in that line. I pulled it all apart today and found that the "cap" of the valve had a small hole in it. This allowed it to constantly drain after shutdown. I'd just fix it, but parts are likely non-existent.

Part TWO: That filter housing on the side of the block seems to need a new gasket(been seeping and wet forever). I tried getting it apart today with no avail. I got the four big bolts out but can't get the housing off the block. Don't want to break it trying, is it glued or pinned? My big manual doesn't show enough detail.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It does not have a dowell in the block.When you install the screw on filter make sure and change the block and use the correct gasket for that block. There is maybe 4 different gaskets that will bolt up but only one for the block that you instal. I say block it will be a stand up housing that the filter head bolts to and the the pipes to the oil cooler will have to be used with the later screw on set up.There is a two full flow set up and a three full flow set up and a two full flow with the spinner filter.

glenn akers

I'm going to check with my connection at Adelmans and see if I can get everything in a package deal that way I shouldn't have issues.

Just can't see why that block won't come off the engine? Only four bolts and I can't budge it.

Larry

WTH!!! I get a call back from Adelmans and they don't have any screw on filter setups they can sell me. ???? What? Apparently they don't have any bad cores to strip parts from. Everything they have is complete/running and won't separate.

Geez.

Larry

WTH!!! I get a call back from Adelmans and they don't have any screw on filter setups they can sell me. ???? What? Apparently they don't have any bad cores to strip parts from. Everything they have is complete/running and won't separate.

Geez.

Larry, It might be worth checking with Global Truck Traders. They might have what you are looking for. You could PM counterman6, he works there.

Geez.

Larry what all do you need to install it on your truck. Ron

Well, I need everything I guess. It doesn't have an oil cooler, it does have a full flow filter on it.

SDC10809.jpg

SDC10807.jpg

I've got the plate all cleaned up and was going to just reassemble it all.

SDC10802.jpg

It's worked okay for 50 yrs, just thought since I'm fixing leaks I would change it over since I had to pull the whole contraption off.

Larry