Air Ride Question

Ok, just so I have an idea what I can look for...........

I was putting thought into converting my B over to air ride. My first thought is leave the rear in truck, but get air ride suspension parts and bolt to everything I have. So, the question is: Will my original rear housing accept an air ride suspension?? I would assume it would, but just thought I would ask before I try to locate parts.

I'm thinking Pete leaf, or Neway, or newer Mack maybe?? Something I can pick up cheap, put some new bushings/bags on and bolt it up. I have a few connections that I might get stuff pretty cheap..but wanted to find out what might NOT fit. I'm figuring that if I don't have to get the rearend too, it will be real cheap.

Any thoughts?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I've seen people weld upper spring seats to the rear housing to adapt air ride, but I am not sure what suspension they were using...but it can be done.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Larry,

I've got a complete s/a air ride with rear end,make you a good deal on the whole works.It's on 20" spokes.

I'm using an air ride from an IH. Appeares every thing will bolt right up to my top loader Mack Rear.

Will have to change the brake cans to under instead of over and extend the 'S' cams but - - -

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

I plan on putting a 5th wheel back on the truck and convert my trailer to a pin (instead of ball). I want to be able to actually use the truck again for a real trailer if need be. With the springs cut down and a g/n ball it is completely useless.

With the air ride I can ease the pain on the nose of my trailer, but still carry a real trailer too.

I've got a couple connections around here that I was going to enquire. I'll email ya Mike and talk.

Thanks

Larry

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 1 month later...
I'm using an air ride from an IH. Appeares every thing will bolt right up to my top loader Mack Rear.

Will have to change the brake cans to under instead of over and extend the 'S' cams but - - -

Packer

Packer, I tried to use IH air ride on my mack rears and move the brakes to a lower position but there was not enuff room on the short side with the offset housing. Hope you have better luck!

After I went with a Rockwell rear, I discovered that I could have used late model Mack saddles to mount the torque arms higher to clear the brakes.

1971 Mack R600 Toterhome "Superdawg"

living the life of leisure pulling

1999 NuWa Snowbird 34+2 SE102 "Dawghouse"

Packer, I tried to use IH air ride on my mack rears and move the brakes to a lower position but there was not enuff room on the short side with the offset housing. Hope you have better luck!

After I went with a Rockwell rear, I discovered that I could have used late model Mack saddles to mount the torque arms higher to clear the brakes.

Mechmagcn,

The International I got this one from has extened 'S' cams that just clear the spring. By switching the 'S' cams left for right (You need to do this to get the brakes to work right) and flipping the air cans from top to bottom, eveything seems to work out O.K.

This is not a proven statement!!! I measured and poked around and have NO doubt it will work, but may be spring before it's all bolted down. LOL

Packer

Keep a clutchin'