How Do I Get My Tanks Like Chrome?

My little Granite has got some down time this winter and im thinking of paying her some attention after all her hard work. The tanks are all aluminum and im wanting them to shine....do i need to just pull them off and "wheel" them out with polish or is there a replacement tank that is more maintanence free? Im also thinking of putting dura bright alcoas and repainting the dump bed as well. I think it will make her look great!

Any pics of a doll'd up granite?

Thanks Guys!

to get best results you will need to pull the tanks out so you can get them clean around the strapes and hard to reach aeras.

if they have nicks in them you will have to wet sand them out untill the surface is smooth again. when all that is done you buff them with 2-3 diffrent pads to get that ultra smooth finish. I have tried to get old tanks to look new and it is vary hard to get right. I have enven heard that some people will clear coat them to prevent the dull look from the elemnets. I dont like clear coat because as soon as it chips you have to remove all of the clear to get them to look good again.

Remember that most guys with their show trucks dont take them out in the salt and off road much. most old show trucks use new aluminum tanks or have alot of time to get them perfect. if you work your truck alot just a good buff and wax will go along way if you keep up on them

One of the other options is Stainless steel tank skins. They fit over the stock tanks.The company advertised in Over Drive Magizine alot. The local Mack / Volvo / Paacar Dealer has or had them in stock. I coan probbly go through my isues of O.D. mags if you want to go that way. Paul

post-3242-037690800 1292455847_thumb.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My little Granite has got some down time this winter and im thinking of paying her some attention after all her hard work. The tanks are all aluminum and im wanting them to shine....do i need to just pull them off and "wheel" them out with polish or is there a replacement tank that is more maintanence free? Im also thinking of putting dura bright alcoas and repainting the dump bed as well. I think it will make her look great!

Any pics of a doll'd up granite?

Thanks Guys!

I do not know what the longevity of dura brights are, but let me tell ya we got them on our 08 pinnacle and I love them. Truck is soon to be 3 years old and the dura brights still look brand new. All I do is wash them with soap and water. They get run through the salt and mud and still look great.

One of the other options is Stainless steel tank skins. They fit over the stock tanks.The company advertised in Over Drive Magizine alot. The local Mack / Volvo / Paacar Dealer has or had them in stock. I coan probbly go through my isues of O.D. mags if you want to go that way. Paul

post-3242-037690800 1292455847_thumb.jpg

41~ If you dont mind can u get the contact info on the tanks skinz? I cant seem to find them on the net...Thanks in advance.

The first question should be- Are they polished now and just look like poop, Or are they "mill" finish?

If they were polished at one time, mothers and some serious elbow grease

mill finish, buffer machine and different grade rouge to get them right

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

41~ If you dont mind can u get the contact info on the tanks skinz? I cant seem to find them on the net...Thanks in advance.

I'm going through my O.D. Mags it was this year so I'll find it for you. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

A word of caution if you wrap tanks with stainless... If you run in a lot of salt & crap you want to remove the covering at least once a year to clean underneath. That stainless looks sharp on the outside while corrosion works its evil magic underneath. Same goes for tank straps- once a year remove & clean you will be amazed at what you find.

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going through my O.D. Mags it was this year so I'll find it for you. Paul

The company was called Tank Skinz, and apparently they no longer exsist. The ads stopped about 6 months ago. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

The first question should be- Are they polished now and just look like poop, Or are they "mill" finish?

If they were polished at one time, mothers and some serious elbow grease

mill finish, buffer machine and different grade rouge to get them right

This is true-like hatcity said,if they're clean and polished it's easy to keep them that way,but if they've never been polished or have had acid cleaner on them it's a lot more work.

Most of the guys that I know use a "brick" of jewelers rouge like these and a cloth wheel on a grinder if they're in pretty bad shape.You can do them with the straps on or take them loose to do it easier and completely.This is just an example picture I found, but they sell these at most of the big truckstops. After this process the mothers, or a polish called "Zephyr" and a rag will keep them looking good with little trouble.

I've seen guys make their own polish by melting the jewelers rouge and mixing it with mineral spirits or something and it worked very well,but I don't know the exact formula.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.