What Is Missing In This Picture?

Olivetroad

I finally finished installing a 1986 EM6 engine into my 1971 DM600 log truck to replace a ENDT673 that had given up the ghost. It cranked over maybe twice and it fired right up! It runs great and thanks to David in North Carolina, it was not too hard to convert.

But guess what is missing from the front of the engine???????

post-6658-008574100 1290814023_thumb.jpg

Time for dual electric fans.

mike

Too restrictive in large applications. A large single fan with multiple blades offers greater airflow at high efficiency before the point of saturation is reached. That's why the OEM's use a single fan and shrouding in large applications.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I finally finished installing a 1986 EM6 engine into my 1971 DM600 log truck to replace a ENDT673 that had given up the ghost. It cranked over maybe twice and it fired right up! It runs great and thanks to David in North Carolina, it was not too hard to convert.

But guess what is missing from the front of the engine???????

The fan and water pump shaft are missing in the photo, but a few minutes before, when the engine was first fired up, they were in place.

Right when we were in the "High Five" position after it started up so well, we heard a loud bang and the fan went flying off the engine and embedded itself in the space between the frame holding the front motor mount and the bottom of the radiator. It is hard to tell from the second photo, but the water pump shaft had an old crack in it that you could tell from the rust and it just broke off - I am just glad it went down and not out the side! Now I need a new fan and water pump. I have an old R model out back that may have what I need.

I DID NOT FORGET TO INSTALL THE FAN - it just looked that way. My middle son accused me of not tightening something down. I am going to tighten him down.

post-6658-005659000 1290831969_thumb.jpg

post-6658-069365600 1290832004_thumb.jpg

The fan and water pump shaft are missing in the photo, but a few minutes before, when the engine was first fired up, they were in place.

Right when we were in the "High Five" position after it started up so well, we heard a loud bang and the fan went flying off the engine and embedded itself in the space between the frame holding the front motor mount and the bottom of the radiator. It is hard to tell from the second photo, but the water pump shaft had an old crack in it that you could tell from the rust and it just broke off - I am just glad it went down and not out the side! Now I need a new fan and water pump. I have an old R model out back that may have what I need.

I DID NOT FORGET TO INSTALL THE FAN - it just looked that way. My middle son accused me of not tightening something down. I am going to tighten him down.

Prolly lucky it didn't exit the engine compartment.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I saw were a blade on a R model went thru the hood and then thru part of the fender and into a fench post that was 39 ft away. This truck was wound up coming up a slick road but that is what can happen to a man standing close and not thinking about dieing. That is the reason i have always said if a fan has a bent blade or cracked then get it off for the sake of some one else down the road. I have seen them come in with blades that looked like they had been a wreck.

glenn akers

Lucky it didnt eat the radiator

All it did to the radiator is kind of shave the bug goo and black paint off - didn't hurt a thing. It put a nasty gash in the side of the power steering tank, but neither leak so as soon as I get a new fan and pump on, we should be ready to drive it out of the shop. I thought the belts would be bad, but they still look new.

Should I go back with a clutch fan or do I use one that spins all the time off a older R model I have? The one off the original engine won't fit.

All it did to the radiator is kind of shave the bug goo and black paint off - didn't hurt a thing. It put a nasty gash in the side of the power steering tank, but neither leak so as soon as I get a new fan and pump on, we should be ready to drive it out of the shop. I thought the belts would be bad, but they still look new.

Should I go back with a clutch fan or do I use one that spins all the time off a older R model I have? The one off the original engine won't fit.

I like a thermostatic clutch fan as it's quiet some of the time. A mechanical fan is always loud. An air clutch setup is very nice but expensive if you need to purchase everything new.

I have a photo of a fan blade protruding through the hood panel of a Ford Crown Victoria and will have to find it on one of the computers. Funny thing about this one is the fan blades are plastic and the hood panels on these cars are aluminum.

Rob

I would go with the clutch fan out of the old R model, it should fit...does your radiator have shutters in the front? Depending on the thermostat in that engine it might run cool in the winter. I have an 89 glider kit DM600 and with the older engine and no shutters its like pulling teeth to get heat in the winter unless you cover up the radiator...I miss my older trucks, shtters work so nice in the cold :(

I would go with the clutch fan out of the old R model, it should fit...does your radiator have shutters in the front? Depending on the thermostat in that engine it might run cool in the winter. I have an 89 glider kit DM600 and with the older engine and no shutters its like pulling teeth to get heat in the winter unless you cover up the radiator...I miss my older trucks, shtters work so nice in the cold :(

My old truck has a good working set of shutters. I went ahead when I replaced the engine and replaced all the air lines including the shutter ones. They seem to work fine, but we only haul logs with this truck a load or two a week and if it gets down around zero, I tend to stay in the shop and keep warm!

I have too different fans that will bolt up to the used water pump I am installing. One is a five blade and one is a six. Which should I use and why?

My old truck has a good working set of shutters. I went ahead when I replaced the engine and replaced all the air lines including the shutter ones. They seem to work fine, but we only haul logs with this truck a load or two a week and if it gets down around zero, I tend to stay in the shop and keep warm!

I have too different fans that will bolt up to the used water pump I am installing. One is a five blade and one is a six. Which should I use and why?

If it were me I'd use the six blade fan. Nothing wrong with the five blade but the six will move a little more air through the core, but the main reason is efficiency. A six blade moves the same amount of air with less parasitic drag on the engine.

Rob