Centrifugal Oil Filter

alcoon61

I am searching for information on this type filter. It looks to be factory installed on this cxn613. I believe it is a aset engine (427). How often should this filter be changed? I had the truck serviced at the speedco a month or so ago and they told me they dont change those. What is this filters purpose? I have never seen one on my other trucks (detroits) but this mack I bought has one. I am starting today doing the service myself due to I had to go to 5 different oil change shops and nobody had all the filters. I refuse to use the service department at my local Mack dealership due to a recent problem I had with them in the past. If service was free, I wouldnt go there. Honesty and customer respect still means something to me. They do not know the meaning. But thats another issue.

Does Baldwin, Wix, luberfiner make replacements for these centrifugal filters? How do you change them?

Any info would be a big help.

Thanks,

AC

I am searching for information on this type filter. It looks to be factory installed on this cxn613. I believe it is a aset engine (427). How often should this filter be changed? I had the truck serviced at the speedco a month or so ago and they told me they dont change those. What is this filters purpose? I have never seen one on my other trucks (detroits) but this mack I bought has one. I am starting today doing the service myself due to I had to go to 5 different oil change shops and nobody had all the filters. I refuse to use the service department at my local Mack dealership due to a recent problem I had with them in the past. If service was free, I wouldnt go there. Honesty and customer respect still means something to me. They do not know the meaning. But thats another issue.

Does Baldwin, Wix, luberfiner make replacements for these centrifugal filters? How do you change them?

Thanks,

AC

The Centrimax is supposed to be changed along with the other filters. It captures solids in the oil, flings them against the wall of the filter, and the lets the liquid drain back to the sump. The Mack part number for the Centrimax rotor and seal kit on the ASET AC is 57GC2231. It's been said, and I believe it's true, that the Centrimax does more cleaning than the other filters combined. If you have one that has been on the engine for a while take it and cut it open and you will be amazed at what you find inside of it. To replace the filter you just loosen the bolt on top of the cover, slide the cover off, slide the old filter off of the spindle, slide the new one on, reinstall the cover and tighten the bolt to 19 lb ft. You don't need to lube the filter, just the seal ring.

• Like 1

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

The Centrimax is supposed to be changed along with the other filters. It captures solids in the oil, flings them against the wall of the filter, and the lets the liquid drain back to the sump. The Mack part number for the Centrimax rotor and seal kit on the ASET AC is 57GC2231. It's been said, and I believe it's true, that the Centrimax does more cleaning than the other filters combined. If you have one that has been on the engine for a while take it and cut it open and you will be amazed at what you find inside of it. To replace the filter you just loosen the bolt on top of the cover, slide the cover off, slide the old filter off of the spindle, slide the new one on, reinstall the cover and tighten the bolt to 19 lb ft. You don't need to lube the filter, just the seal ring.

I should add that there are at least four different Centrimax rotors. The E7 and early E-Techs used the 57GC2134A, identifable by the rubber hose at the base of the canister that drains oil back to the block. The later E-techs used the 57GC2187 Centrimax plus, identifable by the short height and the cover mounted from the top. The ASET AI/AMI engines originally used the 57GC2206, identifable as a taller rotor with a cream color. The ASET AC uses the 57GC2231 (I believe this is the same rotor kit that was used on the 04 MP7 engines as well), identifable as tall and black in color. The difference between the 2206 and the 2231 is the diameter of the spindle. The 2206 will physically fit the spindle for the 2231, but since the spindle is smaller for the 2231, the 2206 will not spin and is therefore not functional. The 2231 will not fit the spindle of the 2206 because the 2206 spindle is larger in diameter than the through hole of the 2231 rotor. If installing an aftermarket rotor, MAKE SURE that you get the right rotor. Fleetguard makes aftermarket rotors, but as far as I know they are all cream colored, so you really need to check. I think Baldwin also makes an interchange for the 2231, I believe it is a metal rotor, similar in appearance to the original 2134A Centrimax.

Thanks,

AC

Change that filter ASAP as its does a better job at filtering than the 2 spin-on filters do. Its the best thing they put on a Mack engine.

Thanks,

AC

AC--The tech lied to you because Speedco is supposed to change ALL filters. Maybe if you ask a shop manager to stock the filters they would accommodate you that's what I did and Speedco and Truck King--Houston both started stocking them. I keep a new centrifugal in my toolbox just in case.

When I'm in a bind and need a service job sometimes I use Petro or TA truckstops. If they don't have my filters in stock they go to the parts store and don't charge me a service call for going to get them.

AC--The tech lied to you because Speedco is supposed to change ALL filters. Maybe if you ask a shop manager to stock the filters they would accommodate you that's what I did and Speedco and Truck King--Houston both started stocking them. I keep a new centrifugal in my toolbox just in case.

When I'm in a bind and need a service job sometimes I use Petro or TA truckstops. If they don't have my filters in stock they go to the parts store and don't charge me a service call for going to get them.

I beleive you can buy them thru NAPA as well.

Thanks for all the info. I went to the Mack house and bought a filter kit. cost me $80 but it had all the filters. got er serviced and ready to roll out in the morning. This is on a 2007 aset 427 but on the door is states it is a 2006 engine. What is the recommend oil change interval i have read some that I find hard to believe and I picked up a aset pamphlet in the mack house in cincinnati that shows 50k intervals. I dont think going that far would be a good idea.

I got out of a detroit 430/470 about 2 months ago that I had been in 4 six years. I am really disappointed with the power in the mack. We laugh about them running ok but really are sissy trucks. Can these be upgraded to 460 and if so what is involved. Parts guy at Mack here talked like it could be this morning. Fuel mileage really stinks too. Getting around 5.7 with a 43k dry van load normal train mid south, and at best 6.5 with 10k lb load. May need a overhead not sure when the last one was ran and I just got the truck. If I have to live with it like it is for the next 3 years it is going to be miserable waiting to get to the next trade.

I should add that there are at least four different Centrimax rotors. The E7 and early E-Techs used the 57GC2134A, identifable by the rubber hose at the base of the canister that drains oil back to the block. The later E-techs used the 57GC2187 Centrimax plus, identifable by the short height and the cover mounted from the top. The ASET AI/AMI engines originally used the 57GC2206, identifable as a taller rotor with a cream color. The ASET AC uses the 57GC2231 (I believe this is the same rotor kit that was used on the 04 MP7 engines as well), identifable as tall and black in color. The difference between the 2206 and the 2231 is the diameter of the spindle. The 2206 will physically fit the spindle for the 2231, but since the spindle is smaller for the 2231, the 2206 will not spin and is therefore not functional. The 2231 will not fit the spindle of the 2206 because the 2206 spindle is larger in diameter than the through hole of the 2231 rotor. If installing an aftermarket rotor, MAKE SURE that you get the right rotor. Fleetguard makes aftermarket rotors, but as far as I know they are all cream colored, so you really need to check. I think Baldwin also makes an interchange for the 2231, I believe it is a metal rotor, similar in appearance to the original 2134A Centrimax.

Also if you will call PAI they can tell you who can order parts from them close to you and also go to their website and your filters will be there. Also thin k about calling another dealer and have the filter kits shiped to you. There ant much worst than a dealer that thinks you are made for them to suck all of your blood.I have worked for a dealer for years and when they hired a company to do some research on what their problem was they found that it pays to have the customer feed back call to their attenion.And i may with names feed back helps.If they ant interrested then the hell with them.

glenn akers

Thanks,

AC

welcome ac i too have a 427 ac vision otr truck. you are right about the fuel milage. it does suck fuel now. i have started using syn oil 5w-40 i am hoping to get 50000mls between svc. i use my local mack for svc but they dont even stock mudflaps so that gives you an idea. i must say though they do have an extremely helpful svc dept. im hoping syn oil will give me a little better fuel milage. i am replacing my drives with low rolling resistance tyres. bf goodrich at loves 1200 for four installed. like you i am waiting to trade up to a more fuel efficient truck maybe an mp8 motor which i am told will get 8mpg in our dry van operation. hey people tell me everything. i do love the ride, ergonomics and visibility of the vision though. i have a 13 speed on this trk which i find a new learning experience to say the least. i came out of a freightliner century which i had for seven years it had 7.26 mpg on the ecm i was spoiled to say the least but the truck just was horrible to drive and just disintegrated around me. night and day difference to the vision. just my 10 cents worth here hope this helps. oh as for power there are guys working on a black box to help increase hp check out pittsburg power in saxonburg pa these guys are into power and fuel milage. ok happy trails. Edited by kilo6

welcome ac i too have a 427 ac vision otr truck. you are right about the fuel milage. it does suck fuel now. i have started using syn oil 5w-40 i am hoping to get 50000mls between svc. i use my local mack for svc but they dont even stock mudflaps so that gives you an idea. i must say though they do have an extremely helpful svc dept. im hoping syn oil will give me a little better fuel milage. i am replacing my drives with low rolling resistance tyres. bf goodrich at loves 1200 for four installed. like you i am waiting to trade up to a more fuel efficient truck maybe an mp8 motor which i am told will get 8mpg in our dry van operation. hey people tell me everything. i do love the ride, ergonomics and visibility of the vision though. i have a 13 speed on this trk which i find a new learning experience to say the least. i came out of a freightliner century which i had for seven years it had 7.26 mpg on the ecm i was spoiled to say the least but the truck just was horrible to drive and just disintegrated around me. night and day difference to the vision. just my 10 cents worth here hope this helps. oh as for power there are guys working on a black box to help increase hp check out pittsburg power in saxonburg pa these guys are into power and fuel milage. ok happy trails.

We bought 2 of these 07 visions. The other truck gets much better fuel mileage. Pulled a 15k load from baltimore to the southern ms. this past week and averaged 8.8 mpg. Other truck gets 6.5 to 7 loaded heavy. We too have 13 speeds. They came out of the same fleet, (Warrior Express) and are specd alike. Mine will not get 7 mpg empty on flat ground. Something has to be out of whack with it. I too like the truck but the fuel mileage alone will force me to part with it if I dont get it up. I really didnt expect it to get detroit mpg, but again I didnt expect it to be as low as it is. I have tryed every type shifting possible and everything from 55mph roadspeed to 75 mph. Howes and Lucas fuel conditoner, and nothing seems to matter much.

Also if you will call PAI they can tell you who can order parts from them close to you and also go to their website and your filters will be there. Also thin k about calling another dealer and have the filter kits shiped to you. There ant much worst than a dealer that thinks you are made for them to suck all of your blood.I have worked for a dealer for years and when they hired a company to do some research on what their problem was they found that it pays to have the customer feed back call to their attenion.And i may with names feed back helps.If they ant interrested then the hell with them.

What is PAI's website? I really dont have a problem with the local Mack dealers service dept other than I really feel hosed down with their prices. Depending on salesman if you get shop price or retail. Now the service dept is a different story. Manager is dishonest and had to fight with them for six months to get refund on a 2 month old altenator that fried my batteries and cost me over a grand on the road. Finally got my money but sure wouldnt let them work on my truck or my lawnmower for that matter. We was in the market for 2 trucks when this went down. They cost themselves 2 sales on trucks because of this. This almost made me steer clear of Mack all together but my partner is Mack to the core so I decided I would give it a try.

I'm running 4 Cat A-Cert 475 1800lb ft torque in 4 of my 06 Fliner Classic's; How about 3.5 to 4.5 MPG. That's loaded 80,000 & dead heading back, the same truck 08 with a 515 Detroit same 10-c trans 11X24.5 tires 3.90 gears 6.5 to 7.0 mpg all day long?? Cat guy said I need to EGE A ME KATE my drivers to find the SWEET SPOT??

What is PAI's website? I really dont have a problem with the local Mack dealers service dept other than I really feel hosed down with their prices. Depending on salesman if you get shop price or retail. Now the service dept is a different story. Manager is dishonest and had to fight with them for six months to get refund on a 2 month old altenator that fried my batteries and cost me over a grand on the road. Finally got my money but sure wouldnt let them work on my truck or my lawnmower for that matter. We was in the market for 2 trucks when this went down. They cost themselves 2 sales on trucks because of this. This almost made me steer clear of Mack all together but my partner is Mack to the core so I decided I would give it a try.

Befor you give up on mack call or pm Barry here necause he is with a mack dealer and he can and will get what you need. All parts men make mistakes as i or you but that is the normal.The guys that have a hurt look on their face when you show up for parts is were i have a problem. I worked for a mack dealer here years agoand was a go dealer. The old white motor co dealer was a den of theives here and because it was a union shop they did not have to work.

glenn akers

I'm running 4 Cat A-Cert 475 1800lb ft torque in 4 of my 06 Fliner Classic's; How about 3.5 to 4.5 MPG. That's loaded 80,000 & dead heading back, the same truck 08 with a 515 Detroit same 10-c trans 11X24.5 tires 3.90 gears 6.5 to 7.0 mpg all day long?? Cat guy said I need to EGE A ME KATE my drivers to find the SWEET SPOT??

Sure wished I could find the sweet spot on this mack. I have tried every speed and rpm imaginable. If it wont get it empty its not going to get it :pat:

Sure wished I could find the sweet spot on this mack. I have tried every speed and rpm imaginable. If it wont get it empty its not going to get it :pat:

AC, look at the turbo and find the tag on it. Post the 631GC***** number on it up here along with the VIN. There were some changes to the turbos that required reprogramming the engine ECU. In a lot of cases the ECU doesn't get programmed when the turbo is changed.