Too Ugly For Words

Oh my! Looks like you've found the Magnum! Glad we didn't get those in the States! A bloke from down under was telling me that they call them toasters!!

Actually its the quantum, the succesor to the magnum. The magnum looks like this:

Newer European Magnum:

Its uses a Renault Magnum cab which is kinda funky loking but has a totally flat floor. The quantum uses the Renault premium high cab.

I happen to like the Quantum, always though those Saviem/Renault cabs were sharp looking. Unfortunatly its cheaper to import the Renault cab then produce the MH cab :( . Same is supposed to happen with the Mack cab here, replaced with a Volvo cab :angry: . In my opinion if they go as far as to replace the Mack cab and engines with Volvo engines they should take their Volvo truck division and disolve it.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Actually its the quantum, the succesor to the magnum. The magnum looks like this:

Newer European Magnum:

Its uses a Renault Magnum cab which is kinda funky loking but has a totally flat floor. The quantum uses the Renault premium high cab.

I happen to like the Quantum, always though those Saviem/Renault cabs were sharp looking. Unfortunatly its cheaper to import the Renault cab then produce the MH cab :( . Same is supposed to happen with the Mack cab here, replaced with a Volvo cab :angry: . In my opinion if they go as far as to replace the Mack cab and engines with Volvo engines they should take their Volvo truck division and disolve it.

It looks like a fat guy who tightened his belt too much.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Put the crack pipe down!!

I think I've seen the ugliest truck on the planet.

WTF :idunno::angry:

Makes the Argosy look fantastic!!! ....YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LoL Yea it is certainly odd. I think it was better that they switched to the Premium cab. Didnt Mack have a prototype USA version of the Magnum after they decided to cancel the MH? Anyone have pictures of it?

HK,

I always called it the garbadge can.

One good thing about Renault is they never messed with Mack. They even used Mack engines in their Trucks.

This is a Mack powerd Magnum. The owner added the Mack logo. They had respect for the Dog.

-Thad

The more I look at that thing, it reminds me of some Matchbox trucks I had as a kid in the 70's. I always hated them because they didnt look realistic.The dimensions look all wrong. :idunno: It looks like a cartoon. :wacko: No thanks

I liked Matchbox trucks,, I liked them in the 60's, now it's time to drive them.... :blink::lol::lol::mack1:

I had to edit. My first over the road truck was a Freightliner Cab over, had a 350 big cam and 13sp. ran like hell, but beat the crap out of you..

I rember 1 time 95 was shut down in Phila. PA and we ran through the city, the only ones that took the short cuts were Cab overs, so that being said I'd try a modern Cab over... :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

I liked Matchbox trucks,, I liked them in the 60's, now it's time to drive them.... :blink::lol::lol::mack1:

I had to edit. My first over the road truck was a Freightliner Cab over, had a 350 big cam and 13sp. ran like hell, but beat the crap out of you..

I rember 1 time 95 was shut down in Phila. PA and we ran through the city, the only ones that took the short cuts were Cab overs, so that being said I'd try a modern Cab over... :wacko:

I dont think you would be dissapointed :D

I have sat in and test drove a Mack Freedom (Renault Midlum) which is very similar to the Premium cab. Very comfortable and the Premium cab is supposed to ride even smoother. Full 4 point cab air suspension modern comfortable air seats makes for a real smooth ride. So many old timers constanly bash cabovers because they rode in the dinosaurs never stopping to think of the progress made in modern cabovers. The Europeans are very progressive and put allot of engineering into comfort.

-Thad

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think you would be dissapointed :D

I have sat in and test drove a Mack Freedom (Renault Midlum) which is very similar to the Premium cab. Very comfortable and the Premium cab is supposed to ride even smoother. Full 4 point cab air suspension modern comfortable air seats makes for a real smooth ride. So many old timers constanly bash cabovers because they rode in the dinosaurs never stopping to think of the progress made in modern cabovers. The Europeans are very progressive and put allot of engineering into comfort.

The problem is, no one sells them in the US. :(

With the Mack and Volvo versions of the MP7 engines being so similar, it wouldn't be hard to do.

It still amazes me that Volvo North America isn't offering FM/FH cabovers here- there are some big fleets that still need cabovers for some of their operations and Volvo is losing them to DCX with their Argosy. For example, Interstate Bakeries uses conventionals for most of their operations, but they still need cabovers for the Northwest where they use drom boxes and for turnpike doubles in some states. The twin steering axles would work well for droms and truck and trailer combinations too.

The Argosy is still on the Freightliner web site, so I assume it's still available. The Condor low cabover is hiding though- it's not listed with the other models but if you do a search you'll find it. Not sure if the Condor is discontinued or the DCX legal department is just hiding the Condor to make it look like Volvo corporation has a monopoly on that market.

• 2 weeks later...