Er Visit

vision386

Well,got to take a trip to the emergency room today,went to bed last night with what i thought was a "bug bite" on my leg,woke up this morning,leg pretty much on fire,hurt like hell,had turned bright red and black from the knee down! my good wife (who's a nurse) said your going to the hospital! right now! get there, get checked in,see the doctor, seems i was bitten by a brown recluse spider! IV antibiotics,pills/medicine for the next few weeks,plus a tetanus shot! moral of this story is just be careful! these things are dangerous! can cost you and arm or leg if not treated in a timely manner, not to mention will make you sick as shit! i'm telling you that from firsthand information!............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Well,got to take a trip to the emergency room today,went to bed last night with what i thought was a "bug bite" on my leg,woke up this morning,leg pretty much on fire,hurt like hell,had turned bright red and black from the knee down! my good wife (who's a nurse) said your going to the hospital! right now! get there, get checked in,see the doctor, seems i was bitten by a brown recluse spider! IV antibiotics,pills/medicine for the next few weeks,plus a tetanus shot! moral of this story is just be careful! these things are dangerous! can cost you and arm or leg if not treated in a timely matter, not to mention will make you sick as shit! i'm telling you that from firsthand information!............Mark

Several years ago I read an article in Readers Digest about the Brown Recluse (AKA Violin or Fiddle Back spider, I believe). A few days later my sister got a bite like you. Just kidding around with her about it I mentioned the Brown Recluse. Long story short, she still has a small chunk missing out of her shin where she was bitten. They seem to like hiding in the drawers of furniture.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Several years ago I read an article in Readers Digest about the Brown Recluse (AKA Violin or Fiddle Back spider, I believe). A few days later my sister got a bite like you. Just kidding around with her about it I mentioned the Brown Recluse. Long story short, she still has a small chunk missing out of her shin where she was bitten. They seem to like hiding in the drawers of furniture.

Thats what they told me as well,i'm in a trailer load of furniture just about everyday! doctor said the area where i was bitten may never heal completely,may even require a skin graft at some point! not much fun thats for sure!........Mark

Thats what they told me as well,i'm in a trailer load of furniture just about everyday! doctor said the area where i was bitten may never heal completely,may even require a skin graft at some point! not much fun thats for sure!........Mark

That's very serious. You were fortunate that they diagnosed it quickly! I worked with a driver at H.H.Moore trucking who was bitten in the heel by one. He didn't go to the doctor right away,thinking it was no big deal. He didn't even know what it was. By the time he did go and they figured out what it was-because the bite just wouldn't heal and kept getting worse- it was too late. He actually had to have his leg taken off just below the knee. Absolutely true.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yeah Mark, I would stay on top of that. I know a couple of people here who are missing a lil meat from those bad lil critters. It is fotunate that it was diagnosed so quickly. The first letter I got from my son when he was in Iraq, during the opening stages of the war, He wrote, "Im not worried that much about the Iraquis, I cant seem to keep my focus on them for worrying bout these dam Camel spiders." Before he left, he visited here and brought info he was supposed to study up on and it had a lot of info on local wildlife and stuff and the camel spider really impressed him. He was tremendously afraid of spiders as a child. It did sound like a badass spider too. I told my wife we are so worried bout him, and hell, hes afraid of spiders over there! If he sees one, he will probably empty the clip on it,,,heh heh,,,,randy

That's very serious. You were fortunate that they diagnosed it quickly! I worked with a driver at H.H.Moore trucking who was bitten in the heel by one. He didn't go to the doctor right away,thinking it was no big deal. He didn't even know what it was. By the time he did go and they figured out what it was-because the bite just wouldn't heal and kept getting worse- it was too late. He actually had to have his leg taken off just below the knee. Absolutely true.

I'm just glad/fortunate i was just getting home when this happened,if i had been on the road i probably would'nt have been so quick to go to the hosp. it's just amazing to me how fast it went from bad to worse! maybe 2 hrs? i felt fine,then got fever,chills,like when you get the flu,spot around where the bite was turned black! kinda' scared me! guess i'm gonna hafta' start packing a pistol when i'm un-loading from now on! LOL!.......Mark

Yeah Mark, I would stay on top of that. I know a couple of people here who are missing a lil meat from those bad lil critters. It is fotunate that it was diagnosed so quickly. The first letter I got from my son when he was in Iraq, during the opening stages of the war, He wrote, "Im not worried that much about the Iraquis, I cant seem to keep my focus on them for worrying bout these dam Camel spiders." Before he left, he visited here and brought info he was supposed to study up on and it had a lot of info on local wildlife and stuff and the camel spider really impressed him. He was tremendously afraid of spiders as a child. It did sound like a badass spider too. I told my wife we are so worried bout him, and hell, hes afraid of spiders over there! If he sees one, he will probably empty the clip on it,,,heh heh,,,,randy

Yeah buddy! know what you mean! my brother-inlaw was over there too,he said the same thing! he was more worried about those giant spiders then the iraquis! he said the boys in his unit were using them for target practice/sighting in rifles! but i'm glad i got looked at as quick as i did,my wife said it could have been a lot worse,left un-treated, never had anything like this happen before! like i told otherdog,guess i'm gonna hafta' start packing my pistol when i'm working in the trailer from now on!! LOL!........Mark

Yeah buddy! know what you mean! my brother-inlaw was over there too,he said the same thing! he was more worried about those giant spiders then the iraquis! he said the boys in his unit were using them for target practice/sighting in rifles! but i'm glad i got looked at as quick as i did,my wife said it could have been a lot worse,left un-treated, never had anything like this happen before! like i told otherdog,guess i'm gonna hafta' start packing my pistol when i'm working in the trailer from now on!! LOL!........Mark

heh heh,,,only difference will be you will be going to ER with gunshot wound to foot instead of spider bite,,LMAO,,randy

heh heh,,,only difference will be you will be going to ER with gunshot wound to foot instead of spider bite,,LMAO,,randy

Yeah,your probably right! .22 X spider, divided by gunshot wound,equals $$$$$ compounded by loss of work/foot! not to mention self-respect! i don't shoot near as straight as i used to!.LOL!...............Mark

Mark I can relate. I have this phobia with crawling things especially in bed with me that was not introduced properly. Early last week while sleeping I felt something crawl on my neck and I vaguely remember fighting with it. The next morning I got up when the alarm went off and looked near my pillow and lo and behold I found a spider in which I had killed. I have a sticky pad for buggs etc. but some how they don't all get trapped. That could have been a brown recluse far as I could tell. I didn't try and turn him over to see if he had a fiddle or mandelin. What ever it is leave me be while i'm sleeping, I need all tha beauty rest I can get.

mike

Mark I can relate. I have this phobia with crawling things especially in bed with me that was not introduced properly. Early last week while sleeping I felt something crawl on my neck and I vaguely remember fighting with it. The next morning I got up when the alarm went off and looked near my pillow and lo and behold I found a spider in which I had killed. I have a sticky pad for buggs etc. but some how they don't all get trapped. That could have been a brown recluse far as I could tell. I didn't try and turn him over to see if he had a fiddle or mandelin. What ever it is leave me be while i'm sleeping, I need all tha beauty rest I can get.

mike

Yall may enjoy this story bout bugs, a couple of months ago I was cleaning out a dairy lagoon, went to work one morning, owner of dairy, a dutchman, said he had to go to emergency room the night before. He was on his tractor, after dark with lights on. It has a cab, but no windows. Anyway, a june bug flew into his ear, and immediately went to digging down in his ear. He couldnt get it out, said the pain was so excrutiating he had to get his brother to take him to the emergency room. The first hospital couldnt get it out, and sent him to another one. They worked with it a while, finally took the bug out in pieces. Ha,,He said when he got to the first hospital, he was really in pain, they messed with it a lil bit and said they didnt know what to do, he told them "Hell,,just kill the son of a bitch,,I need some relief from the digging!" Anyhow,,he said the procedure at second hospital cost him $1400.00. He wasnt too happy bout that either. I dont want any june bugs in my ear.,,randy

Yall may enjoy this story bout bugs, a couple of months ago I was cleaning out a dairy lagoon, went to work one morning, owner of dairy, a dutchman, said he had to go to emergency room the night before. He was on his tractor, after dark with lights on. It has a cab, but no windows. Anyway, a june bug flew into his ear, and immediately went to digging down in his ear. He couldnt get it out, said the pain was so excrutiating he had to get his brother to take him to the emergency room. The first hospital couldnt get it out, and sent him to another one. They worked with it a while, finally took the bug out in pieces. Ha,,He said when he got to the first hospital, he was really in pain, they messed with it a lil bit and said they didnt know what to do, he told them "Hell,,just kill the son of a bitch,,I need some relief from the digging!" Anyhow,,he said the procedure at second hospital cost him $1400.00. He wasnt too happy bout that either. I dont want any june bugs in my ear.,,randy

guess it puts meaning to the term "Let me put a bug in your ear" randy

Glad you got it so fast. The neighbor got bit by one and lost about a 1/2 by 2 inch hunk on his arm. Their potent little guys.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Glad you got it so fast. The neighbor got bit by one and lost about a 1/2 by 2 inch hunk on his arm. Their potent little guys.

Yeah,was definately lucky i was just getting home,was my wife made me go to the hosp.glad i did though! coulda' been a lot worse! seems to be healing up pretty good............Mark

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Guess we're lucky around here. as far as I know,we don't see those spiders-too high elevation (5,200 feet),I'm told. we get some pretty big Black Widders,though,gotta be careful what you pick up out in the yard or in the shop,they hide behind stuff on shelves,in drawers,under boards etc. in the yard. As far as I know,they donn't kill ya unless you have a weak immune system (which I do,being diabetic)but they make you feel like you might prefer dying because it'd feel better. I'm not too fond of Bugs as a species-I don't mind killing most spiders (daddy longlegs and some garden spiders are known to be okay),all ants,earwigs,wasps,hornets,centipedes,gnats,mosquitoes,roaches and any bugs I don't recognize. :rolleyes: anyway,glad you're on the mend,and especially glad your Wife did the right thing and you listened. Might be worth finding some of those bug foggers that kill the Recluse,and pop the cap on one and toss it into the trailer then go have a cuppa coffee before you go into the trailer to work. Start relying on the gun to protect you,the insurance company's gonna wanna know why they're suddenly getting all these claims for fixing bullet holes in furniture...

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Scary stuff!! Glad to hear you got it taken care of quickly. You are the first I've heard of directly that had a run in with one. Only heard tales before.

Yeah, no doubt! first anything like this has happened to me! you always hear about somebody else,don't give it much thought till it happens to you!.....Mark

Hows your spidy bite healing up?? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hows your spidy bite healing up?? Paul

Seems to be doing OK! my wifes a nurse,so she takes pretty good care of me,still pretty sore,but not near as bad as it was.....guess i'll live!.....Mark

Glad to hear it. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Holy crap! Good to hear you caught that bite in time. My brother went to school in Florida and rented an apartment with a roommate. One night my brother was getting ready for bed when his roommate started yelling. Turns out a brown recluse was walking across his bed! Luckily he did not get bit but they tore his room apart looking for it, found it and killed it.

A friend who was in they army was bitten on the back of his neck while sleeping out in the field. Starts to burn and turn red but ignored it until his captain saw the back of his neck and ordered him to the doctor. He was taken to the infirmary on the base and treated.

Scary little things. Bout the size of a quarter so they can easily hide in sleeping bags, bed linen, shoes etc.

Link to what happens to your hand when bitten

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Holy crap! Good to hear you caught that bite in time. My brother went to school in Florida and rented an apartment with a roommate. One night my brother was getting ready for bed when his roommate started yelling. Turns out a brown recluse was walking across his bed! Luckily he did not get bit but they tore his room apart looking for it, found it and killed it.

A friend who was in they army was bitten on the back of his neck while sleeping out in the field. Starts to burn and turn red but ignored it until his captain saw the back of his neck and ordered him to the doctor. He was taken to the infirmary on the base and treated.

Scary little things. Bout the size of a quarter so they can easily hide in sleeping bags, bed linen, shoes etc.

Link to what happens to your hand when bitten

Yeah,i got damn lucky1 if it was'nt for my wife,i probly would'nt have gone to the hospital. never actually saw the thing,but according to the DR.i never would have felt the bite! thats what makes people wait so long to get looked at,unless you see what happens it looks/feels like any other "bugbite"until a couple hours later! then it goes to hell quick!.........Mark