Saw This Truck Ebay

I saw a MH listed on ebay today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-MACK-MH613-TANDEM-AXLE-TRACTOR-9-SPEED-SLEEPER-/380253158957?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Commercial_Trucks&hash=item5888dabe2d#ht_24716wt_1026

And really liked the look of it. For it's age, it seems like it was reasonably well taken care of. The seller is a dealer, and from the looks of his other listings, i don't expect him to really understand how to answer some of the questions I have. I noticed that some of you seem to be able to take a VIN number and find out how the truck was originally configured. Since i was interested in what motor was in it, i was hoping one of you fine individuals could look it up for me. The VIN is listed in the ad as:

VIN: 1M2AR07Y8GM007802

Any other information that this produces would also be appreciated. Carfax only lists 4 records for the unit, but at this stage I don't want to pay only to find out that they are all just title transfers over the last month.

Unlike Europe, there dont seem to be a lot of cabover tractors floating around here, so i was wondering what specific issues might crop up with a cabover that I might not have considered in a conventional truck. As an example, does it tend to run hotter, since there is a large insulated cab sitting over it? Or is that balanced out by the fact that air can pass clear though the engine compartment and out the back? Will it be appreciably noisier than my R688T in the cab? I understand that working on the engine will require me to not leave stuff lying around in the cab, but how big an issue is this really? I assume that the hump between the seats is where the motor sticks up, are there storage compartments inside the cab (unlike the R, which seems to only have a pouch on the back wall)? I notice access doors on the outside under where the sleeper floor seems to be, are these for storage, or are they for access to other items?

And, while i understand that the worth of something is directly related to what someone is willing to pay for it (especially on eBay), what is something like this worth? In general, are the cabovers worth more or less than similar macks (axle sizes and motor power) of the same vintage?

I suppose that is enough with the questions. Thanx for any help.

I saw a MH listed on ebay today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-MACK-MH613-TANDEM-AXLE-TRACTOR-9-SPEED-SLEEPER-/380253158957?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Commercial_Trucks&hash=item5888dabe2d#ht_24716wt_1026

And really liked the look of it. For it's age, it seems like it was reasonably well taken care of. The seller is a dealer, and from the looks of his other listings, i don't expect him to really understand how to answer some of the questions I have. I noticed that some of you seem to be able to take a VIN number and find out how the truck was originally configured. Since i was interested in what motor was in it, i was hoping one of you fine individuals could look it up for me. The VIN is listed in the ad as:

VIN: 1M2AR07Y8GM007802

Any other information that this produces would also be appreciated. Carfax only lists 4 records for the unit, but at this stage I don't want to pay only to find out that they are all just title transfers over the last month.

Unlike Europe, there dont seem to be a lot of cabover tractors floating around here, so i was wondering what specific issues might crop up with a cabover that I might not have considered in a conventional truck. As an example, does it tend to run hotter, since there is a large insulated cab sitting over it? Or is that balanced out by the fact that air can pass clear though the engine compartment and out the back? Will it be appreciably noisier than my R688T in the cab? I understand that working on the engine will require me to not leave stuff lying around in the cab, but how big an issue is this really? I assume that the hump between the seats is where the motor sticks up, are there storage compartments inside the cab (unlike the R, which seems to only have a pouch on the back wall)? I notice access doors on the outside under where the sleeper floor seems to be, are these for storage, or are they for access to other items?

And, while i understand that the worth of something is directly related to what someone is willing to pay for it (especially on eBay), what is something like this worth? In general, are the cabovers worth more or less than similar macks (axle sizes and motor power) of the same vintage?

I suppose that is enough with the questions. Thanx for any help.

The truck was built 7.16.85

Original engine was E6-350 4VH

Oringinal Transmission was RTX12609A

Original Differentials were CRDPC92/93 4.64 ratio

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

The truck was built 7.16.85

Original engine was E6-350 4VH

Oringinal Transmission was RTX12609A

Original Differentials were CRDPC92/93 4.64 ratio

just my little 2 cents-I drove cabovers for 10 years,'79 to '89-they do not run any hotter,they have as large or larger grill area than a conventional to cool the radiator,and just make sure there's no loose items like drink bottles or anvils in the sleeper when you jack the cab up and you'll be fine. I liked the ones I drove (IH Transtars,GMC Astros,F-model Macks,K100 Kenworths)and didn't want the first conventional cab (T800 Kenworth) I drove,but...time marches on, as they say.

There are indeed storage boxes under the sleeper to store stuff in.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal, but of course you'll want to inspect it in person before bidding. Cabovers in general seem to be underpriced- near me in Redwood Falls, MN a Cruiseliner has sat with a "for sale" sign along the road for over a year now. The price has dropped significantly to $2500 and its a tandem sleeper with a 285 or 300 horse Maxidyne, 5 speed Maxitorque, and Mack rear ends and suspension. In Dassel, MN there's an ex-UPS Mack MH that's been languishing on the Bobcat dealer's lot for a couple years now. It's repainted white and has the usual UPS specs- single rear axle day cab with 300 Maxidyne and 5 speed Maxitorque.

I think this is the perfect truck for Rob's V12 Detroit !!! no ?? BULLHUSK

SITS TO HIGH IN THE AIR FOR ROB, HE WILL VAPOR LOCK UP THERE. COULDNT RESIST ROB.

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

I owned an 85 MH similar to the one you are looking at, and it was a damn good truck, gave me many years good service, there are a few things common to a cabover (as opposed to a conv.) to be on the lookout for. Mine had problems with the cab-jack (leaking hyd. fluid) shift linkage, and the cab started to actually "shake" itself apart! grille, headlight panels etc. but once i got a handle on these problems, in the grand scheme of things, mine did a good job for me. I too drove cabovers for a long time, they all have their good/bad points visibilty is a factor, as is the ride, learning to get dressed while laying down comes to mind! LOL! but on the flipside, there are times even now i miss my cabovers manuverability ie: getting in and out of tight spaces/docks. but all in all i like cabovers, and this one looks like it was owned/ operated by a moving co. guys in this business generally take better care of the truck then the average driver, they are usually speced pretty nice, and lightweight too, i'm just making an educated guess here, but a truck like this, in this shape, in MY opinion is worth $25-3000.00.................Mark

post-5836-044870400 1279939093_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

It certainly looks good for its age. Don't see a scratch or dent anywhere.

I think the actual photo has some age on it also; ie. not a recent photo.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I think the actual photo has some age on it also; ie. not a recent photo.

Rob

Why do you think that? The ad mirrors his other ads in format, a lot of large format walk around pictures of the vehicles. I notice that he also lists vehicles at more than one location, and google maps shows the location of his business as being in a house. None of this is a big deal, the pictures appear to be of the truck in a yard primarily full of RVs, i know of people around here who play this vehicle flipping game, which I am sure is why it is for sale "where is, as is".

I was actually looking at some of the other auctions to see if the same bidders were showing up in several of them, driving the prices up.

I sent him email last Friday, but haven't heard back yet. I am tied uo all Monday, might call him tuesday to see what he considers a "reasonable" offer to be. Or, i might just let the auction play out, and see if it ever gets above his reserve. For the right money, i would be really tempted. It is not what i have been looking for at all, but there are aspects of it that I really like.

. . . they all have their good/bad points visibilty is a factor, as is the ride,

so, i was meaning to ask, what are the issues with ride and visibility? i would have thought that visibility would have been better, since there was no nose in front to block your vision. of course, i have mirrors one the front fenders, which i would not have with the cabover.

is the ride difference just a function of wheelbase length?

Why do you think that? The ad mirrors his other ads in format, a lot of large format walk around pictures of the vehicles. I notice that he also lists vehicles at more than one location, and google maps shows the location of his business as being in a house. None of this is a big deal, the pictures appear to be of the truck in a yard primarily full of RVs, i know of people around here who play this vehicle flipping game, which I am sure is why it is for sale "where is, as is".

I was actually looking at some of the other auctions to see if the same bidders were showing up in several of them, driving the prices up.

I sent him email last Friday, but haven't heard back yet. I am tied uo all Monday, might call him tuesday to see what he considers a "reasonable" offer to be. Or, i might just let the auction play out, and see if it ever gets above his reserve. For the right money, i would be really tempted. It is not what i have been looking for at all, but there are aspects of it that I really like.

I've seen it advertised elsewhere.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Is it still listed?

I couldn't tell you as I "surf" several websites daily. I do know I've seen those photos elsewhere and they are not new.

Rob

I couldn't tell you as I "surf" several websites daily. I do know I've seen those photos elsewhere and they are not new.

Rob

Well, after further digging it appears to be parked at the manheim auctions facility in newburgh, ny. Their web site offers no access unless you are a dealer, so i can't find when they sold it, or how much it went for. At this point, with a day left, it is at 5000$.