Re-Opened Old Gravel Pit

randyp

Well, got up at 4:15 this morning, slurped coffee, took 4 lbs. heart medicine, drove out to yard and changed oil in dozer, new air filter, fuel filter and a good greasing. I loaded it up on Killer B and took it to an old gravel and clay hill I havent worked since last summer. A customer called me and wanted 25 or 30 loads, I priced it kinda high, wasnt too anxious to re-open old pit anyway, had a lot of washouts in it, but he said get it as soon as possible and he would probably have me haul after that till he ran out of budget. Well Hell, think I will just see how big his wallet is! It will smell better than dairy lagoon anyway, only bout a 12 mile haul too. You may need to get your ass down here and help me Mackmann. Im gonna move excavator earlly in morning and it, me and old R-model are gonna wreak havoc in side of that hill. I cant end a post without a heh heh and "It was hot as hell here today!' Dirt Doctor Randy M.D. D.A. B.S. (or dirty doctor)

post-4330-061932300 1278386743_thumb.jpg

post-4330-099344100 1278386818_thumb.jpg

Well, got up at 4:15 this morning, slurped coffee, took 4 lbs. heart medicine, drove out to yard and changed oil in dozer, new air filter, fuel filter and a good greasing. I loaded it up on Killer B and took it to an old gravel and clay hill I havent worked since last summer. A customer called me and wanted 25 or 30 loads, I priced it kinda high, wasnt too anxious to re-open old pit anyway, had a lot of washouts in it, but he said get it as soon as possible and he would probably have me haul after that till he ran out of budget. Well Hell, think I will just see how big his wallet is! It will smell better than dairy lagoon anyway, only bout a 12 mile haul too. You may need to get your ass down here and help me Mackmann. Im gonna move excavator earlly in morning and it, me and old R-model are gonna wreak havoc in side of that hill. I cant end a post without a heh heh and "It was hot as hell here today!' Dirt Doctor Randy M.D. D.A. B.S. (or dirty doctor)

Man randy, that is one fine thermodyne! Looks like new tires on the rear? I especially like the way your gloves match the colors of the truck.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Man randy, that is one fine thermodyne! Looks like new tires on the rear? I especially like the way your gloves match the colors of the truck.

Hi Rhasler, Yeah, when you only got one axle doing the pulling , you better keep it knee deep in tread. Im glad you like my gloves, I guess you didnt realize how fashion oriented I was. My wife always either checks on me regularly on cell phone or comes out to see if Im really doing anything. I took my "man bag" off for the picture, didnt want to upset Rob. He might would have liked it though, a beautiful mauve color with sequins. heh heh (just kidding). If Im doing much with my hands, have to keep them covered up, take so many blood thinners, the tiniest little scratch, and Im digging in first aid kitwhile holding ice on it looking for bandaid, hell, a paper cut can look like major surgery. I work by myself so I guess she thinks she needs to keep an eye on me. Thanks for comment on truck, I really do like driving it, I didnt do it, but its been rebuilt from ground up, nice and tight, no leaks, just neeeds a muffler, cause it do wanna beller when loaded. Its got a 10 speed 2 stick duplex in it, you could also cook a ham in it here in the summer. Yeah Mackmann, she took several pictures, but post will only let me do a couple at a time, will post some more as I take "porkchop hill." Well, better go slurp coffee and have "pill" sandwich, get ready to move excavator. Yall have a good , safe day. Embassy Guard Randy

post-4330-047686000 1278408974_thumb.jpg

post-4330-064145200 1278409081_thumb.jpg

Hi Rhasler, Yeah, when you only got one axle doing the pulling , you better keep it knee deep in tread. Im glad you like my gloves, I guess you didnt realize how fashion oriented I was. My wife always either checks on me regularly on cell phone or comes out to see if Im really doing anything. I took my "man bag" off for the picture, didnt want to upset Rob. He might would have liked it though, a beautiful mauve color with sequins. heh heh (just kidding). If Im doing much with my hands, have to keep them covered up, take so many blood thinners, the tiniest little scratch, and Im digging in first aid kitwhile holding ice on it looking for bandaid, hell, a paper cut can look like major surgery. I work by myself so I guess she thinks she needs to keep an eye on me. Thanks for comment on truck, I really do like driving it, I didnt do it, but its been rebuilt from ground up, nice and tight, no leaks, just neeeds a muffler, cause it do wanna beller when loaded. Its got a 10 speed 2 stick duplex in it, you could also cook a ham in it here in the summer. Yeah Mackmann, she took several pictures, but post will only let me do a couple at a time, will post some more as I take "porkchop hill." Well, better go slurp coffee and have "pill" sandwich, get ready to move excavator. Yall have a good , safe day. Embassy Guard Randy

What???? As passive and sedate as I am with people and their personal ways of life of no concern to me, I'd be expected to say something less than 100% positive of someone's preferred attire? You must be thinking of the wrong person. Why I hold the coveted "esscence of wholesomness" award that has been bestowed upon me. With such credentials, how could I be negative?

How do you like that Kaufman trailer? I've been thinking of purchasing one because I'm getting tired of looking at overpriced used junk!! What would you do different?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Manbag huh? i knew from the get-go you was about half a bubble off plumb! LOL! really like to see someone "work" a B-model,thats what they were made for! that is a good looking truck! i agree with you though, about the heat and no muffler! i sweated my A** off many summer on our farm, was "deef" by the end of the day! but i would'nt trade it for anything! cept' maybe a good riker muffler! LOL! anyway,hope you make a ton of $$$$$$$ out there,and as always don't work too hard!............executive fashion consultant Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

"over priced used junk" Yeah ive been trailer shopping for months now and im suprised to see trailers like the Kaufman for around that somthing used sells for or less. I like the Blue B model also . I dont see too many blue ones.

I have'nt forgot about ya' there jay (trailers) just been a pretty busy weekend, but i'll let you know what i find out.....Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Friday I looked at an 2008 "Transcraft" 48X102 combo trailer that was traded in on a new Great Dane. This thing had cracks galore, piss poor welds that I'd have never turned out, and cracks in the aluminum decking where it joins the neck. None of this was from overloading either. Wasn't very well built and I'll never look at another of that brand. This was at Jim Hawk Trailers in E. Peoria, IL. They weren't trying to sell me this trailer, just why not to purchase one of that brand.

I'm wanting a 42' single drop on lowboy type tires to haul two trucks at a time. If I stay under 45' parking is not much of a problem with the pulling unit attached. I've spoken with Kaufman but don't really know anybody local with one of their trailers of the type I'm looking for. Plenty of car haulers and light duty stuff around. Whatever I wind up with will act as a parking lot and stay inside and I may wind up building something myself.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I just blew up the first photo to get a good look at the truck and I must say I'm quite dissapointed. I see the ugly mug standing next to a beautiful truck and the first thought that comes to mind is "Damn!! I've seen better faces on iodine bottles"!! I then notice the emblem on the side of the hood is incomplete and only says "Thermod". Now this is in no way appropriate and that truck deserves better. It treats you right ,and you should reciprocate accordingly.

Think I may have a complete emblem I could send you, or if you have the broken parts of your original I can repair it.

PM me your address.

Rob

I just blew up the first photo to get a good look at the truck and I must say I'm quite dissapointed. I see the ugly mug standing next to a beautiful truck and the first thought that comes to mind is "Damn!! I've seen better faces on iodine bottles"!! I then notice the emblem on the side of the hood is incomplete and only says "Thermod". Now this is in no way appropriate and that truck deserves better. It treats you right ,and you should reciprocate accordingly.

Think I may have a complete emblem I could send you, or if you have the broken parts of your original I can repair it.

PM me your address.

Rob

Rob,

Better look again.......I think it says THERMOUS - BOTTLE

mike

What???? As passive and sedate as I am with people and their personal ways of life of no concern to me, I'd be expected to say something less than 100% positive of someone's preferred attire? You must be thinking of the wrong person. Why I hold the coveted "esscence of wholesomness" award that has been bestowed upon me. With such credentials, how could I be negative?

How do you like that Kaufman trailer? I've been thinking of purchasing one because I'm getting tired of looking at overpriced used junk!! What would you do different?

Rob

Rob, i do quite believe in your case you misspelled wholesomeness, it should be "Holesomeness". heh heh. I ordered that trailer new, shipped from Nebraska. Its really kinda custom designed, in a way. The one I was looking at online sloped all the way to the front, so you could actually load something over axle. I wanted it built "open necked" cause killer B is a little short and didnt wanna be worried bout getting corner of trailer into cab at some of these "God forsaken" out of the way places I have to get myself in and out of. I shopped for a used lowboy for a long time, and all I fouond was high priced used junk, needing floors, tires, brakes,,etc. I would have to check but I believe I got it delivered for somewhere round $14,500.00. I have had no problems whatsoever, has huge main beams and is heavily cross braced, I would highly reccomend it! Excavator or dozer doesnt even wiggle it and tracks really straight. Its rated 25 tons. Wella, anyway, just came in for lunch, gotta get back out there and attack "Porkchop Hill". Thanks all for comments,,,Gynecologist Randy

Rob, i do quite believe in your case you misspelled wholesomeness, it should be "Holesomeness". heh heh. I ordered that trailer new, shipped from Nebraska. Its really kinda custom designed, in a way. The one I was looking at online sloped all the way to the front, so you could actually load something over axle. I wanted it built "open necked" cause killer B is a little short and didnt wanna be worried bout getting corner of trailer into cab at some of these "God forsaken" out of the way places I have to get myself in and out of. I shopped for a used lowboy for a long time, and all I fouond was high priced used junk, needing floors, tires, brakes,,etc. I would have to check but I believe I got it delivered for somewhere round $14,500.00. I have had no problems whatsoever, has huge main beams and is heavily cross braced, I would highly reccomend it! Excavator or dozer doesnt even wiggle it and tracks really straight. Its rated 25 tons. Wella, anyway, just came in for lunch, gotta get back out there and attack "Porkchop Hill". Thanks all for comments,,,Gynecologist Randy

Naw, my formal title is "Assholiness" but I don't go by that too often. Rob usually suffices as it means the same to me. I've spoken with Kaufman a couple of times and they are very willing to build what I want. I did think I was being a bit picky at first when I started looking at trailers but I'm pretty set in what I want so this may be the way to go. I'm thinking of having a channel beam for the front of the trailer rolled to a 4.25ft radius and send to Kaufman direct and let them weld everything together to where I'd just pick it up. Wanting to use the B67 for the pulling unit and it has the concave cab so this would go nice and wouldn't be out of place with an R model either. I have a spare 20,000# hydraulic winch and pto/pump unit. I plan to mount the winch in the nose with a deck roller at the transition from the upper to lower deck slope to not chafe the cable. Not really looked into the total cost with suspension and all, so don't know how the final cost will shake out. The key is to stay below the absolute maximum of 45' total length so I can park inside.

Rob

HEY RANDY

FROM ONE DIRT-OLIGIST TO ANOTHER. DONT FEEL BAD ABOUT YOUR WIFE, I AM ONLY 35 AND MY WIFE CALLS TO CHECK ON ME AND ASKED IF I AM DOING SOMETHING THAT IS DANGEROUS OR IF I CAN GET HURT. IF SHE ONLY KNEW THE STUFF THAT WE SINGLE OWNERS DO.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Y'all must have a "history" of doin stupid stuff.

I do. Mrs. checks on me. Seems to call only when the boom is near wires!

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I ran across this picture in the random images gallery a few days ago, but I didn't pay aattention to whose picture it was. I modified it slightly and set it up as the desktop background on my work computer. Looks real nice.

post-6084-009568000 1278467080_thumb.jpg

After I saw your pictures I thought it might have been the "Killer B" (nice choice of names) but I don't see it in your gallery, is it yours.

PM me your address.

Rob

I noticed the same thing and had the same instinct. I think the original part number is 27RU1353AP2

I noticed the same thing and had the same instinct. I think the original part number is 27RU1353AP2

Sounds right. Damned things are getting like hens teeth to find anymore too; especially in usable shape.

Rob

I ran across this picture in the random images gallery a few days ago, but I didn't pay aattention to whose picture it was. I modified it slightly and set it up as the desktop background on my work computer. Looks real nice.

post-6084-009568000 1278467080_thumb.jpg

After I saw your pictures I thought it might have been the "Killer B" (nice choice of names) but I don't see it in your gallery, is it yours.

Hi Rhasler, no, thats not mine. Thats a good picture though. heh heh,,,you better ask Rob about something on mine he noticed, I should say Forensic detective Rob, He blew one of killer Bs pictures and noticed I had the dyne broke off of thermodyne one the right side. He is absolutely correct (as usual). However, He has offered to help me remedy that. A good while back I was on some web site and saw it for sale, it was $200.00, so I decided then to just let it go, however, Rob said that is very unmannerly. I bought truck through Dennis Mehan in Cairo, New York, Old Macks.com, and bought it sight unseen except for pictures, I think a guy in Pennsyvania restored it and he did an outstanding job. So far, it performs maybe 2 or 3 times weekly and hasnt missed a beat, really a joy to drive. Earlier this summer, a landowner hired my dozer and another guys dozer cause he needed a large pool dam done as quickly as possible, (he didnt mind paying double per hour, I guess). Anyway, other guy had 850 john deere, pulling it with an older tandem axle Kenworth, he arrived bout 30 minutes ahead of me, it was kind of a bad place to get in off highway, lil steep and tad bit loose gravel. He met me at road and advised me he couldnt make it up and had to back down and unload off side of highway. I got out, looked at it and said I think I can pull that. He laughed real hard, and said well have it "Single Axle Einstein". heh heh,,,Killer B eased up it in low gear, never spun a tire, just bellered real hard. When I got out to unload, (we dont get along real amicable anyway), I told him he probably could have pulled it if he learned a little bout "throttle control". I wasnt there, but I think he probably ran at it like he was storming Normandy Beach. LOL, needless to say, we were even less amicable after that. (he didnt run a dozer any better that he drove a truck that day either) Oh well, shit happens,,,have a good day and be safe,,Neruosurgen Randy

Randy, Looks like the perfect size dozer for most jobs. The B looks happy getting photographed with owner and likes to work also keeping both healthy.

Thanks Mike, I wouldnt run nothing but Mack and Komatsu. Komatsu is 105 H.P., one handled steering and direction control, has a 6 cyl. cummins and really is a stout machine! It weighs lil over 26,000 lbs. You can angle blade, so dont have to permit it, thats a big plus, so its easy to load and make fast moves. it dont bother me at all to move on one day jobs, load back up and head home. Im a lil shocked you didnt comment on sexy shorts and chicken legs. heh heh,,,thats just the best way to try to stay cool. Have a safe day,,,Former Hanes underwear model Randy

Keep up tha good work!

mike

heh heh,,I somehow managed to screw that reply up, wound up in lil box,,sorry

PM me your address.

Rob

Thanks Rob, will get with you on the emblem, dont have broken piece, it came that way. (gotta figure out how to PM, Im so embarrased! Blushing Randy

Naw, my formal title is "Assholiness" but I don't go by that too often. Rob usually suffices as it means the same to me. I've spoken with Kaufman a couple of times and they are very willing to build what I want. I did think I was being a bit picky at first when I started looking at trailers but I'm pretty set in what I want so this may be the way to go. I'm thinking of having a channel beam for the front of the trailer rolled to a 4.25ft radius and send to Kaufman direct and let them weld everything together to where I'd just pick it up. Wanting to use the B67 for the pulling unit and it has the concave cab so this would go nice and wouldn't be out of place with an R model either. I have a spare 20,000# hydraulic winch and pto/pump unit. I plan to mount the winch in the nose with a deck roller at the transition from the upper to lower deck slope to not chafe the cable. Not really looked into the total cost with suspension and all, so don't know how the final cost will shake out. The key is to stay below the absolute maximum of 45' total length so I can park inside.

Rob

Sounds like a good plan,,,Design engineer Randy

Hi Rhasler, no, thats not mine. Thats a good picture though. heh heh,,,you better ask Rob about something on mine he noticed, I should say Forensic detective Rob, He blew one of killer Bs pictures and noticed I had the dyne broke off of thermodyne one the right side. He is absolutely correct (as usual). However, He has offered to help me remedy that. A good while back I was on some web site and saw it for sale, it was $200.00, so I decided then to just let it go, however, Rob said that is very unmannerly. I bought truck through Dennis Mehan in Cairo, New York, Old Macks.com, and bought it sight unseen except for pictures, I think a guy in Pennsyvania restored it and he did an outstanding job. So far, it performs maybe 2 or 3 times weekly and hasnt missed a beat, really a joy to drive. Earlier this summer, a landowner hired my dozer and another guys dozer cause he needed a large pool dam done as quickly as possible, (he didnt mind paying double per hour, I guess). Anyway, other guy had 850 john deere, pulling it with an older tandem axle Kenworth, he arrived bout 30 minutes ahead of me, it was kind of a bad place to get in off highway, lil steep and tad bit loose gravel. He met me at road and advised me he couldnt make it up and had to back down and unload off side of highway. I got out, looked at it and said I think I can pull that. He laughed real hard, and said well have it "Single Axle Einstein". heh heh,,,Killer B eased up it in low gear, never spun a tire, just bellered real hard. When I got out to unload, (we dont get along real amicable anyway), I told him he probably could have pulled it if he learned a little bout "throttle control". I wasnt there, but I think he probably ran at it like he was storming Normandy Beach. LOL, needless to say, we were even less amicable after that. (he didnt run a dozer any better that he drove a truck that day either) Oh well, shit happens,,,have a good day and be safe,,Neruosurgen Randy

I got one of those "hot seat hero" stories also:

Back in 2004 a friend of mine was building a new convienience store gas station. Out back of the new building was a large amount of dirt that was excavated for the footings, tanks, approaches, etc. This was free for my taking as I needed the clean fill. I had my old trusty A40 dump truck out there with it's 401 gas, five speed main with three speed brownie backing into the pit where they could load from above. As I was backing into position a guy in a new KW, (I think a T800) tandem dumper with a much larger bed cut me off to get in there first. I backed in beside him not thinking too much about it. The driver being a known smartass to everyone except me, rolls down the window and says something like he would never make any money driving a piece of junk like that, (meaning my truck). Now he was being loaded by an CAT 325, or 345 excavator, and I by a Deere loader dozer. After three buckets he was full while I was still waiting. When he was full, he yells something like "I'll be back before you leave", then proceeded to rev the engine, out with the clutch promptly dispatching the driveline there in the dirt with a loud bang. About that time I was full and with the transmissions both in low, crawled out of the loading zone and went about my business. When I got back to the zone they were pulling the truck out with the dozer that loaded me. I backed in again and got loaded with two full scoops from the excavator to be full. I also did another nine loads on the day following this ordeal. The other truck was gone the next morning and the loader told me he busted a yoke on the back of the transmission.

I hauled a total of 21 loads that day and each was as full as the photo. The photo is of load number 20.

Rob

post-78-032284500 1278470460_thumb.jpg