Re-Opened Old Gravel Pit

randyp

Manbag huh? i knew from the get-go you was about half a bubble off plumb! LOL! really like to see someone "work" a B-model,thats what they were made for! that is a good looking truck! i agree with you though, about the heat and no muffler! i sweated my A** off many summer on our farm, was "deef" by the end of the day! but i would'nt trade it for anything! cept' maybe a good riker muffler! LOL! anyway,hope you make a ton of $$$$$$$ out there,and as always don't work too hard!............executive fashion consultant Mark

Mark, if you really were a "fashion consultant" you would have bragged on my attire! Dammit to hell, ya cant claim the title till you earn it! Now go learn how to dress yourself,,heh heh,,District Attorney Randy

I got one of those "hot seat hero" stories also:

Back in 2004 a friend of mine was building a new convienience store gas station. Out back of the new building was a large amount of dirt that was excavated for the footings, tanks, approaches, etc. This was free for my taking as I needed the clean fill. I had my old trusty A40 dump truck out there with it's 401 gas, five speed main with three speed brownie backing into the pit where they could load from above. As I was backing into position a guy in a new KW, (I think a T800) tandem dumper with a much larger bed cut me off to get in there first. I backed in beside him not thinking too much about it. The driver being a known smartass to everyone except me, rolls down the window and says something like he would never make any money driving a piece of junk like that, (meaning my truck). Now he was being loaded by an CAT 325, or 345 excavator, and I by a Deere loader dozer. After three buckets he was full while I was still waiting. When he was full, he yells something like "I'll be back before you leave", then proceeded to rev the engine, out with the clutch promptly dispatching the driveline there in the dirt with a loud bang. About that time I was full and with the transmissions both in low, crawled out of the loading zone and went about my business. When I got back to the zone they were pulling the truck out with the dozer that loaded me. I backed in again and got loaded with two full scoops from the excavator to be full. I also did another nine loads on the day following this ordeal. The other truck was gone the next morning and the loader told me he busted a yoke on the back of the transmission.

I hauled a total of 21 loads that day and each was as full as the photo. The photo is of load number 20.

Rob

heh heh,,thats what im talking bout Rob, LOL, I like that term "Hot Seat Hero" Podiatrist Randy

heh heh,,thats what im talking bout Rob, LOL, I like that term "Hot Seat Hero" Podiatrist Randy

I hauled 630 tons of clean fill sand with that old girl when I was building my shop in 2000. I'm really not afraid to use her at all.

Get a lot of "rubbernecking" and "thumbs up" when I drive through town.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I hauled 630 tons of clean fill sand with that old girl when I was building my shop in 2000. I'm really not afraid to use her at all.

Rob

I dont know why but you feel like your accomplishing something or provving something when you actually work with something like that, kinda like going back in time or something. Its raining like hell here tis morning (4:30 a.m.) SOMETHING,,there, I typed it again. I wont be in gravel pit today. Whilst you be here Rob, I want to put a magnetic warning beacon on top of Killer B, found a lil round one I like at Northern Tool. I just want to plug it in power socket in cab, gotta put that in also. Killer is positive ground, how do I need to wire that up so magnetic fluxuations will be molecularly aligned? Im not required to have one, not overwidth or overweight, but do a lot of backing off highway, u-turns, wierd shit, etc. I always turn 4 way flasher on at aforementioned goofy times, but would feel better with a lil flashy yellow dingy too. Electrical engineer Randy If I pm you as mentioned before, will you also send me that dump truck? pweese? You should see my eyes now, theyre all big and kinda drippy, doe looking

I dont know why but you feel like your accomplishing something or provving something when you actually work with something like that, kinda like going back in time or something. Its raining like hell here tis morning (4:30 a.m.) SOMETHING,,there, I typed it again. I wont be in gravel pit today. Whilst you be here Rob, I want to put a magnetic warning beacon on top of Killer B, found a lil round one I like at Northern Tool. I just want to plug it in power socket in cab, gotta put that in also. Killer is positive ground, how do I need to wire that up so magnetic fluxuations will be molecularly aligned? Im not required to have one, not overwidth or overweight, but do a lot of backing off highway, u-turns, wierd shit, etc. I always turn 4 way flasher on at aforementioned goofy times, but would feel better with a lil flashy yellow dingy too. Electrical engineer Randy If I pm you as mentioned before, will you also send me that dump truck? pweese? You should see my eyes now, theyre all big and kinda drippy, doe looking
You'll need to deal with "Momma" on the dump truck as it is actually hers. Didn't start out that way but the way it ended up. I do however, wish you the best of luck, and caution you to wear body armor covering the midsection heavily. She actually carries a photo of that truck in her wallet we we talk "trucks" with the family and such, (no shit). She found no absolutely no humor at all in the attached photo which was a joke that I paid for heavily.

If you are going to run a motor driven beacon you won't need to do anything other than plug it in with a positive ground. The rotating reflector will rotate backwards from design but nobody will know other than you an I and I promise not to tell. On the other hand, if you are planning a strobe tube type, you will need to mount an isolated junction block someplace, then wire a receptacle for a negative ground to power the strobe. Not hard to do at all. Same thing with a vehicle radio that you wouldn't be able to listen too.

Rob

post-78-099578900 1278502072_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You'll need to deal with "Momma" on the dump truck as it is actually hers. Didn't start out that way but the way it ended up. I do however, wish you the best of luck, and caution you to wear body armor covering the midsection heavily. She actually carries a photo of that truck in her wallet we we talk "trucks" with the family and such, (no shit). She found no absolutely no humor at all in the attached photo which was a joke that I paid for heavily.

If you are going to run a motor driven beacon you won't need to do anything other than plug it in with a positive ground. The rotating reflector will rotate backwards from design but nobody will know other than you an I and I promise not to tell. On the other hand, if you are planning a strobe tube type, you will need to mount an isolated junction block someplace, then wire a receptacle for a negative ground to power the strobe. Not hard to do at all. Same thing with a vehicle radio that you wouldn't be able to listen too.

Rob

Okay thanks on beacon info, just would feel safer with one, well, i would feel safer knowing maybe i was making it safer for my fellow idiots out there. I really kinda sorta do think if momma were to look really deeply into my eyes, she would just give me that truck, (maybe its kind of a dracula thing). Dammit, I like that truck! Some of my fuel pump, tank, and grease gun stuff posed to be here tommorrow, wish it was today, not working so I could play with it. Momma Rob,,,,L O O K---I N T O---M Y--E Y E S---D E E P L Y--- Count Randy

Mark, if you really were a "fashion consultant" you would have bragged on my attire! Dammit to hell, ya cant claim the title till you earn it! Now go learn how to dress yourself,,heh heh,,District Attorney Randy

Well, no manbag was present in the picture,i can only assume that it clashed with your outfit! i did note the bandanna necktie, however! very HE-MAN! but white socks with work attire? thats a no-no! and just for future reference, if you're gonna wear "shorty-shorts" to work in public, please have the courtesy to tuck your shirt in!.........Trucking fashion consultant esquire Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Rob

Oh thats a good one! one of my "motto's" is "Age and expierience overcome youth and enthusiasm everytime!" especially when talking "old" trucks vs new ones, would've loved to see the look on that guys' face when he spit out his driveine! makes perfect sense to me to use a truck for its designed purpose, i am glad to see so many people working classic macks! does my heart some good!.........Mark

Oh thats a good one! one of my "motto's" is "Age and expierience overcome youth and enthusiasm everytime!" especially when talking "old" trucks vs new ones, would've loved to see the look on that guys' face when he spit out his driveine! makes perfect sense to me to use a truck for its designed purpose, i am glad to see so many people working classic macks! does my heart some good!.........Mark

I'm purposely easy on that truck. Cognizance of a breakdown not being a quick fix due to parts availability makes it easy to be. However, I do not refrain from use when she is needed.

Rob

Well, no manbag was present in the picture,i can only assume that it clashed with your outfit! i did note the bandanna necktie, however! very HE-MAN! but white socks with work attire? thats a no-no! and just for future reference, if you're gonna wear "shorty-shorts" to work in public, please have the courtesy to tuck your shirt in!.........Trucking fashion consultant esquire Mark

Thank you for that fashion advice Mark, however it must be noted that my socks generally start out white in the morning and are usually dirty brown by lunch, wet, and sagging over my boots, no doubt, rather odorous also. I used to tuck my shirt in, but if I was hauling dirt, moving equipment, or going to local pac-a sac, gas station, etc. for a microwave quickie salmonella samwich, I just got so tired of whatever women were around whistling at my muscular buttocks, it is just so demeaning and embarrassing, one look at those buns of mine just gets them acting like a bunch of rude and boisterous construction workers, not to mention some of them probably wound up late getting back to work cause they had to run home to get dry panties. I keep shitail out just to protect them I guess, it feels like a curse sometimes, wish I could afford a muscle reduction back there,,just have to cope with it i guess. NAVY SEAL Ret. Randy (I know 387 ways to kill you and they all hurt)

I'm purposely easy on that truck. Cognizance of a breakdown not being a quick fix due to parts availability makes it easy to be. However, I do not refrain from use when she is needed.

Rob

Rob, that is very well spoken advice, and I go by it daily, always being concious of the limitations of your equipment and what limits it can go to will save you a lot of time and money in breakdowns. Im not saying it never happens, but I am always listening for unusual drivetrain noises, vibrations, etc. and am fully aware of limitations of older equipment. I have no doubt you are a "true" vintage equipment and truck driver. That is also why I have no employees, its just me, so I feel like equipment will last longer. (I am really bragging on you, not just blowing smoke up you ass to get momma to sell me that truck) Polygraph expert Randy STARE INTO MY EYES MOMMA ROB, YOU ARE UNDER MY SPELL

Rob, that is very well spoken advice, and I go by it daily, always being concious of the limitations of your equipment and what limits it can go to will save you a lot of time and money in breakdowns. Im not saying it never happens, but I am always listening for unusual drivetrain noises, vibrations, etc. and am fully aware of limitations of older equipment. I have no doubt you are a "true" vintage equipment and truck driver. That is also why I have no employees, its just me, so I feel like equipment will last longer. (I am really bragging on you, not just blowing smoke up you ass to get momma to sell me that truck) Polygraph expert Randy STARE INTO MY EYES MOMMA ROB, YOU ARE UNDER MY SPELL

Why thank you Randy. I'm not used to people adding a little praise to my life. I usually need to go to my room and sob for a bit when people pick on me due to being overly sensitive to such matters.

I know with the passage of time you will come to realize the futility of trying to get Momma to part with that truck. I envisioned my life flashing before my eyes in exponential fashion when she seen the "For Sale" sign upon it, and her stance is unwaivering to this day. Don't really think she would defend me over that truck neither.

Rob

Why thank you Randy. I'm not used to people adding a little praise to my life. I usually need to go to my room and sob for a bit when people pick on me due to being overly sensitive to such matters.

I know with the passage of time you will come to realize the futility of trying to get Momma to part with that truck. I envisioned my life flashing before my eyes in exponential fashion when she seen the "For Sale" sign upon it, and her stance is unwaivering to this day. Don't really think she would defend me over that truck neither.

Rob

Well then Rob, let me be the second to randy in that dept. seems every since i have become a member on this site, you are usually always the 1st to offer good, knowledgeable advise to those in need! and one of the first people to reply to my early posts, i for one am always interested in the technical advise you offer to people, and not to sound "big headed" but you sound a lot like me, jack of all trades, master of none! i would'nt want to deal with the "tragic accident" that would occur should you ever try and part with your A-40!.....LOL!......Mark

Well then Rob, let me be the second to randy in that dept. seems every since i have become a member on this site, you are usually always the 1st to offer good, knowledgeable advise to those in need! and one of the first people to reply to my early posts, i for one am always interested in the technical advise you offer to people, and not to sound "big headed" but you sound a lot like me, jack of all trades, master of none! i would'nt want to deal with the "tragic accident" that would occur should you ever try and part with your A-40!.....LOL!......Mark

The A40 really is Momma's truck. I purchased the truck sight unseen from Illinois, in California from the original owner's estate. I was actually wanting a B61 at the time. A friend of mine with a CH destroyed his clutch with a large milling machine on the deck when his foot "slipped" from the pedal. After moseying into a Mack dealership to have the clutch changed, he discovered this A40 being serviced and made running after sitting several years in a back yard after the original owner's passing. It was destined for auction. A quick call to the dealership GM put me in touch with the actual owner whom sold the truck to me via credit card. I still had not seen a photo or anything of it but my buddy plainly said if you want an old Mack truck, you need to buy this one.

After losing the milling machine load due to time constraints, he drew a partial load leaving enough space to haul the truck back to IL. I gave hime $500.00 for the freight, (struggle to make him take it) and have never looked back. It's been a really good truck with the benefit of being able to actually use it. Momma was so impressed with this truck she demanded, (not kidding) that she have the title so I couldn't sell it, (horse trader background). The title is in her name, "Momma Swallows". I've since purchased several other Mack trucks and have a lot of them torn apart so I never hurt for something to do. Hell I thought I was gonna be a wealthy man a couple months ago cause when Momma discovered I'd done spent almost $2000.00 rebuilding and upgrading the brake system on the B67, I coulda swore she was gonna shit a gold brick!!

I like this board and all facets of it. Lots of enjoyment is derived for myself by helping others with sharing some of my limited mental capacity. All my adult life I've made a living "fixing what's broke", and this is still what I do everyday both personal, and professional. That is if you believe I have a professional side.

Now what the fuck. Wasn't this thread something about Randy trying to start another business venture in a rock pit?

Rob

HEY RANDY

FROM ONE DIRT-OLIGIST TO ANOTHER. DONT FEEL BAD ABOUT YOUR WIFE, I AM ONLY 35 AND MY WIFE CALLS TO CHECK ON ME AND ASKED IF I AM DOING SOMETHING THAT IS DANGEROUS OR IF I CAN GET HURT. IF SHE ONLY KNEW THE STUFF THAT WE SINGLE OWNERS DO.

GG2

Green Giant and Hatcity, most of the stupid shit ive done has made history round here, heh heh,,so I guess I really cant blame her. I have a waterline story I could launch into, but we wont go there, makes me have flashbacks and nightmares,,LOL,,,Recovering stupid stunt expert Randy

Green Giant and Hatcity, most of the stupid shit ive done has made history round here, heh heh,,so I guess I really cant blame her. I have a waterline story I could launch into, but we wont go there, makes me have flashbacks and nightmares,,LOL,,,Recovering stupid stunt expert Randy

Raining again here today, no gravel pit,posed to rain tommorrow and next day too. Hope my Northern Tools toys come today or am gonna get bored. randy

Friday I looked at an 2008 "Transcraft" 48X102 combo trailer that was traded in on a new Great Dane. This thing had cracks galore, piss poor welds that I'd have never turned out, and cracks in the aluminum decking where it joins the neck. None of this was from overloading either. Wasn't very well built and I'll never look at another of that brand. This was at Jim Hawk Trailers in E. Peoria, IL. They weren't trying to sell me this trailer, just why not to purchase one of that brand.

I'm wanting a 42' single drop on lowboy type tires to haul two trucks at a time. If I stay under 45' parking is not much of a problem with the pulling unit attached. I've spoken with Kaufman but don't really know anybody local with one of their trailers of the type I'm looking for. Plenty of car haulers and light duty stuff around. Whatever I wind up with will act as a parking lot and stay inside and I may wind up building something myself.

Rob

Transcraft used to build trailers right up the road from me...I actually parked the Mack in their driveway to hit the DMV across the street on the way home yesterday (had a few plates to renew....and go figure, I found another renewal in my PO Box just minutes AFTER leaving the DMV. :pat: Good thing its a small town with no waiting.

Anyway, the plant shut down about a year or so ago (I forget exactly when)...and I'm sure there were rumblings about the potential closing internally before that. While I don't quite understand the mentality, I know it exists...some people just don't GAFF about the quality of their work when they think they are going to get canned.

Hi Rhasler, no, thats not mine. Thats a good picture though. heh heh,,,you better ask Rob about something on mine he noticed, I should say Forensic detective Rob, He blew one of killer Bs pictures and noticed I had the dyne broke off of thermodyne one the right side. He is absolutely correct (as usual). However, He has offered to help me remedy that. A good while back I was on some web site and saw it for sale, it was $200.00, so I decided then to just let it go, however, Rob said that is very unmannerly. I bought truck through Dennis Mehan in Cairo, New York, Old Macks.com, and bought it sight unseen except for pictures, I think a guy in Pennsyvania restored it and he did an outstanding job. So far, it performs maybe 2 or 3 times weekly and hasnt missed a beat, really a joy to drive. Earlier this summer, a landowner hired my dozer and another guys dozer cause he needed a large pool dam done as quickly as possible, (he didnt mind paying double per hour, I guess). Anyway, other guy had 850 john deere, pulling it with an older tandem axle Kenworth, he arrived bout 30 minutes ahead of me, it was kind of a bad place to get in off highway, lil steep and tad bit loose gravel. He met me at road and advised me he couldnt make it up and had to back down and unload off side of highway. I got out, looked at it and said I think I can pull that. He laughed real hard, and said well have it "Single Axle Einstein". heh heh,,,Killer B eased up it in low gear, never spun a tire, just bellered real hard. When I got out to unload, (we dont get along real amicable anyway), I told him he probably could have pulled it if he learned a little bout "throttle control". I wasnt there, but I think he probably ran at it like he was storming Normandy Beach. LOL, needless to say, we were even less amicable after that. (he didnt run a dozer any better that he drove a truck that day either) Oh well, shit happens,,,have a good day and be safe,,Neruosurgen Randy

I usually tell 'em to get a real truck & learn to drive it and they wouldn't have any problems either. :lol:

If you think about it, though, you had the advantage. All your drive axle weight was focused on 4 tires, providing you with increased traction on every tire. Fully loaded, you can run up to 20K on those 4 tires...5,000 pounds/tire. He can only run up to 34K on 8 tires...4,250 pounds/tire. More weight per tire = more traction per tire and less likely to spin. I doubt either one of you were fully loaded, though...and if he's hauling similar equipment on a similar trailer, you were probably running similar weights on the drives. In other words, he has 1/2 the weight on every drive tire for a significant loss in traction available under each and every tire...and if he had air ride, he's at an even greater disadvantage.

Couple that with the fact that he probably didn't have full lockers on his old KW. If he had a power divider, he had just as many tires digging in the dirt as you did...'cept he had 1/2 the load on each of 'em.

The knucklehead behind the wheel further compounds his problems... :wacko:

Even with competent drivers in both trucks, my money would have been on the Mack... :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Transcraft used to build trailers right up the road from me...I actually parked the Mack in their driveway to hit the DMV across the street on the way home yesterday (had a few plates to renew....and go figure, I found another renewal in my PO Box just minutes AFTER leaving the DMV. :pat: Good thing its a small town with no waiting.

Anyway, the plant shut down about a year or so ago (I forget exactly when)...and I'm sure there were rumblings about the potential closing internally before that. While I don't quite understand the mentality, I know it exists...some people just don't GAFF about the quality of their work when they think they are going to get canned.

Wabash purchased Transcraft about three years ago I'm told. This is another move of the larger swallowing up the smaller, and moving/eliminating the production line.

Rob

Wabash purchased Transcraft about three years ago I'm told. This is another move of the larger swallowing up the smaller, and moving/eliminating the production line.

Rob

Might have had something to do with it...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I usually tell 'em to get a real truck & learn to drive it and they wouldn't have any problems either. :lol:

If you think about it, though, you had the advantage. All your drive axle weight was focused on 4 tires, providing you with increased traction on every tire. Fully loaded, you can run up to 20K on those 4 tires...5,000 pounds/tire. He can only run up to 34K on 8 tires...4,250 pounds/tire. More weight per tire = more traction per tire and less likely to spin. I doubt either one of you were fully loaded, though...and if he's hauling similar equipment on a similar trailer, you were probably running similar weights on the drives. In other words, he has 1/2 the weight on every drive tire for a significant loss in traction available under each and every tire...and if he had air ride, he's at an even greater disadvantage.

Couple that with the fact that he probably didn't have full lockers on his old KW. If he had a power divider, he had just as many tires digging in the dirt as you did...'cept he had 1/2 the load on each of 'em.

The knucklehead behind the wheel further compounds his problems... :wacko:

Even with competent drivers in both trucks, my money would have been on the Mack... :thumb:

Yes, on all of your statements Rowdy,,,Mack Rules, he was a young chowderheaded, moronic, inexperienced, asshole, idiot,,,I am an just an old experienced idiot,,Geriatric Randy

Might have had something to do with it...

Transcraft once had the reputation of building some of the best flatbeds. They bought several new Wabash flats when I was at H.H.Moore's and they were flimsy pieces of crap.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

So randy still waiting on PICS. Better yet make a video.(if you know how). :thumb:

ten-four on pics mackmann, I can do video if can figure out how to get it on here, probably gonna have to hire other dog to train me or be my video assistant, he aint nuttin but a "whiz" with this shit,,,,randy