Purchase Done - I Have My Mack H-67!

Hi!

I am very excited. I closed the deal on the 1962 Mack H-67. Bill is going to supply the truck with a clean title from New Hampshire.

So, the first step is complete (probably the easiest)... I have a truck!

I remember the old saying about boat ownership: "The happiest day in every boat owners life is the day they buy their boat and the day they sell their boat". I am sure the same might be said for these projects... but at least today can still be one of the happiest days.

I also managed to recruit my brother in this effort. So now, two of us are on the hook to get this project completed.

The goal is have something to show in South Bend next year. It might not be perfect, but we want to see something running.

Mike is my brother, he will be joining the forum soon. We are excited to get started.

Lots and lots of work ahead. Much we might outsource (body work in Indy anyone?).

However, the goal is to see this H-67 ride proud once again in 2011.

Thanks for all the early help. It has been awesome.

-Rob

More pictures in my gallery.

tn_gallery_6171_893_128163.jpg

• Like 1

Hi!

I am very excited. I closed the deal on the 1962 Mack H-67. Bill is going to supply the truck with a clean title from New Hampshire.

I remember the old saying about boat ownership: "The happiest day in every boat owners life is the day they buy their boat and the day they sell their boat". I am sure the same might be said for these projects... but at least today can still be one of the happiest days.

I also managed to recruit my brother in this effort. So now, two of us are on the hook to get this project completed.

The goal is have something to show in South Bend next year. It might not be perfect, but we want to see something running.

Mike is my brother, he will be joining the forum soon. We are excited to get started.

Lots and lots of work ahead. Much we might outsource (body work in Indy anyone?).

-Rob

That my friend looks like a nice platform to start from. Good luck in your endeavor.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Looks like a good solid starting point. Does that have the bolted split rims on it? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Looks like a good solid starting point. Does that have the bolted split rims on it? Paul

Thanks Rob & Paul.

First question asked, first I do not know! So, 0 for 1.

Paul, will check. Is this something to look for / value / avoid / replace / or just curious?

Rim questions are new for me.

Thanks Rob & Paul.

First question asked, first I do not know! So, 0 for 1.

Paul, will check. Is this something to look for / value / avoid / replace / or just curious?

Rim questions are new for me.

AVOID. The one piece split rims that bolt together as extremly dangerious. The bolt fails and the rim comes apart...generally at speed. Best advice is to replace them with the 3 piece split rims and cut the old one pieces up. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

AVOID. The one piece split rims that bolt together as extremly dangerious. The bolt fails and the rim comes apart...generally at speed. Best advice is to replace them with the 3 piece split rims and cut the old one pieces up. Paul

Thanks. Consider this one added to the project to do list.

I can't say I've ever seen bolt together rims on an on highway truck. I have seen them on industrial equipment and off road trucks such as mine equipment. I have seen the type the centers were riveted into place on an old style budd wheel.

The two piece split rims are perfectly safe if assembled correctly, by knowlegable people. It's the three piece ones that are prone to coming apart as they are inflated. The three piece rims are getting hard to get serviced by tire shops any longer. The two piece type which have been around for many years are no problem. They are easy to tell apart as the three piece rims have the main rim, an outside ring, then a thin locker ring that locks the two others together. The two piece rim has just that, two pieces. Also the three piece rims use a rubber seal so there are actually four pieces to it..

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I can't say I've ever seen bolt together rims on an on highway truck. I have seen them on industrial equipment and off road trucks such as mine equipment. I have seen the type the centers were riveted into place on an old style budd wheel.

The two piece split rims are perfectly safe if assembled correctly, by knowlegable people. It's the three piece ones that are prone to coming apart as they are inflated. The three piece rims are getting hard to get serviced by tire shops any longer. The two piece type which have been around for many years are no problem. They are easy to tell apart as the three piece rims have the main rim, an outside ring, then a thin locker ring that locks the two others together. The two piece rim has just that, two pieces. Also the three piece rims use a rubber seal so there are actually four pieces to it..

Rob

My White had the bolt together rims (coure it spent it's life hauling trailers full of L.I. potatos to N.Y.C.)and was given advice from a few older tire guys to dump them. Guess I got some so so advice. :angry: Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hi!

-Rob

Yea Rob that is a nice lookin H Model. I know you are proud and also how you feel at this time. Just take your time and take it one step at a time. Before you know it, it will be a master piece.

Congradulations!

mike P.S. Post some more pictures when possible

I like your H model. Must have been a real looker in it's day!!

At the moment, this is the only piece of H67 literature that I can find. I don't know if yours is a plain H67T ot an H67LT. The difference is the "LT" has some aluminum chassis parts, otherwise they should be the same.

Dave

post-2383-127534689261_thumb.jpg

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

I like your H model. Must have been a real looker in it's day!!

At the moment, this is the only piece of H67 literature that I can find. I don't know if yours is a plain H67T ot an H67LT. The difference is the "LT" has some aluminum chassis parts, otherwise they should be the same.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I really appreciate the literature piece. I found a brochure in the Wiki as well.

-Rob

Hi rob, glad to hear you sealed the deal on the H-model! sure looks like a good solid starting point. I don't know if you are aware of this,but wood brothers moving and storage is still in existance,i was leased to atlas van lines for almost 20 years,they are one of the oldest moving companies in new england and are agents for atlas it may be worthwhile to contact them,see if any of the trucks history can be learned,maybe even photo or 2 can be found when it was new, my thinking is that it can't hurt.Wood brothers ran predominately macks,but used other make trucks as well..mark wood brothers moving and storage

3607 lafayette road

portsmouth,NH 03801 (603) 319-4096

www.woodbrosmoving.com

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Hi rob, glad to hear you sealed the deal on the H-model! sure looks like a good solid starting point. I don't know if you are aware of this,but wood brothers moving and storage is still in existance,i was leased to atlas van lines for almost 20 years,they are one of the oldest moving companies in new england and are agents for atlas it may be worthwhile to contact them,see if any of the trucks history can be learned,maybe even photo or 2 can be found when it was new, my thinking is that it can't hurt.Wood brothers ran predominately macks,but used other make trucks as well..mark wood brothers moving and storage

3607 lafayette road

portsmouth,NH 03801 (603) 319-4096

www.woodbrosmoving.com

Fantastic. I will absolutely reach out to them.