Twin Turbo V 8 Mack R700

bullhusk

Back in the early 70's a guy who worked out of Houdile quarry in Jersey ran a R700 with a twin turbo Mack V8 the motor would not stay together,Mack woundup putting in a 285 Maxi.Do any of you guys know what motor that was? I have not seen one ever again,are they still out there?what model was it? Also around the same time a guy had a 65 K100 K/W with a big CAT V8 I think that was also a twin turbo motor could not keep that together have never seen any of them again, the guy pulled it and put in a 1674 any you guys remember any any of these V-8s

Thanks Ernie

Back in the early 70's a guy who worked out of Houdile quarry in Jersey ran a R700 with a twin turbo Mack V8 the motor would not stay together,Mack woundup putting in a 285 Maxi.Do any of you guys know what motor that was? I have not seen one ever again,are they still out there?what model was it? Also around the same time a guy had a 65 K100 K/W with a big CAT V8 I think that was also a twin turbo motor could not keep that together have never seen any of them again, the guy pulled it and put in a 1674 any you guys remember any any of these V-8s

Thanks Ernie

I'm not aware of any Mack built twin turbocharge V8 engines of the timeframe you mention. It would have been either an 865, or 866 series at the core and it would be easy to retrofit the engine to accept twin turbochargers but I've never heard, or seen one done that way. Both of those engines were pretty good in the lower end but difficult to keep head gaskets alive. Proper retorquing was required as running the overhead and this service probably didn't happen as often as needed.

I have three V8 Mack engines and they all run well for what they are, from the timeframe produced.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The Mack V8 you mentioned with the twin turbos was an ENDT864 V8. The R700 it was in would have

been was a R719. At the time Mack had two V8s the END864 [non turbo] and the ENDT864 [twin turbo].

The twin turboed 864s are very rare and are hard to find because they made so few. These were

the predecesors to the ENDT865 and ENDT866 both of which were single turbo charged. I might be

a little off on the ENDT864 sequence because they made some with different horsepower ratings

, but I'm pretty positive the ENDT864 was the twin turboed one [T standing for turbo]. As I said

before though the 864s were only made as non turbo or twin turbos and they were the only Mack

V8 to ever be made with twin turbos. That should pretty well explain about Mack twin turboed V8.

Thanks, Josh. :mack1::SMOKIE-LFT:

Russ, the K/W that this Cat V8 was in had to be about a 1965,66.67 I talked to my friend last night, I was about 15 or 16 at that time he was about 18 and working in the shop so he new the truck a little bit beter then I did. It was in fact a twin turbo @ 475 hp V8 it was not a 3408 you had the 1693 & 1674 6 cylinders out ther at that time i don't think the 3400 series was born yet icould be wrong about that but this was a new cabover sleeper and the motor would just explode . Now Cat did make good on the motor but after the 3rd time they pulled it and put a brand new 1674 270hp in it I'm not a big Cat fan but curently there are a few guys running those 3408 450hp motors by us and they run the hell out of em so it couldn't have been a 3408 he also told me Cat only had a few of them out there in tractors that one year only, and they had to take them all back and that was the end of them sort of like the twin turbo Mack V8.

Ernie PS. The guys name who owned the truck was Conrad Tucker

The Mack V8 you mentioned with the twin turbos was an ENDT864 V8. The R700 it was in would have

been was a R719. At the time Mack had two V8s the END864 [non turbo] and the ENDT864 [twin turbo].

The twin turboed 864s are very rare and are hard to find because they made so few. These were

the predecesors to the ENDT865 and ENDT866 both of which were single turbo charged. I might be

a little off on the ENDT864 sequence because they made some with different horsepower ratings

, but I'm pretty positive the ENDT864 was the twin turboed one [T standing for turbo]. As I said

before though the 864s were only made as non turbo or twin turbos and they were the only Mack

V8 to ever be made with twin turbos. That should pretty well explain about Mack twin turboed V8.

Thanks, Josh. :mack1::SMOKIE-LFT:

OK, THE QUESTION STILL STANDS.HOW MANY WERE MADE AND WERE DID THEY ALL GO

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Superdog; Yes that is the motor!! I GOOGLED Cat 1676 and got some good feed back even one guy calling it ( THE GHOST IN CATS CLOSET) another guy confirming what i remembered Cat doing and that was replacing them with 1693 and 1674's even had a picture of one!!

Ernie