Volvo And Mack Merger

Its in god's hands now, only he can stop this predator.

But I would love to know that if your business plan is to "aquire, integrate, synergize and consolidate", what happens when it gets down to the last TWO ????

Somewhere out there, and MBA is masturbating while reading those buzz words. That is pretty much the root of the problem, the suits are in control. Worst part is the suits are located in Sweden and completely isolated from the brand.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Its Unfotunate but true !You won't likly be buying another truck Charlie!You think you have had down time with your old truck just wait a year or two!

watch and listen!the trucks built today are geared to fleets!

This is true, it's hard for the owner/operator with one truck. You need a back up truck. We have had DPF problems with the LEU/ MRU DPF's where the truck was down for 3-15 working days. Somewhat less for the CHU/GU/CXU's. Thing are getting better though with the DPF trucks. It's just now we start all over with SCR problems.

This is true, it's hard for the owner/operator with one truck. You need a back up truck. We have had DPF problems with the LEU/ MRU DPF's where the truck was down for 3-15 working days. Somewhat less for the CHU/GU/CXU's. Thing are getting better though with the DPF trucks. It's just now we start all over with SCR problems.

So...to sound nieve...what did you guys do in the 80's, 90's and early 00's as mechanics? Things were quite a bit simpler then, looking back. I would guess more of the work was in your 'hands'...not up to some diagnostic b.s. and your beloved tech support chatroom.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

So...to sound nieve...what did you guys do in the 80's, 90's and early 00's as mechanics? Things were quite a bit simpler then, looking back. I would guess more of the work was in your 'hands'...not up to some diagnostic b.s. and your beloved tech support chatroom.

Navistar will bury everyone else. They do not use SCR on their smaller engines. They have banked enough emission credits to get them by whilst they properly develop SCR for the small engines if ever at all. The SCR on their big blocks is well done, as well as freightliner's SCR, V*lv*'s SCR is a band-aid solution because they had SCR in europe and DPF in North America in 2007, and now for 2010 instead of designing 1 integrated system, they chose to just ADD the SCR portion on for North America and the DPF portion for europe. Please don't ask how I came about with all this information because I really cannot say, however just remember, everyone is in the same boat until they develop an ammonia re-circ system like Honda has on their european diesels. The design just needs to be scaled up for Class 8 trucks. Honda gave SCR the finger for 2010 in their diesel accord (60mpg). Kudos.

Navistar will bury everyone else. They do not use SCR on their smaller engines. They have banked enough emission credits to get them by whilst they properly develop SCR for the small engines if ever at all. The SCR on their big blocks is well done, as well as freightliner's SCR, V*lv*'s SCR is a band-aid solution because they had SCR in europe and DPF in North America in 2007, and now for 2010 instead of designing 1 integrated system, they chose to just ADD the SCR portion on for North America and the DPF portion for europe. Please don't ask how I came about with all this information because I really cannot say, however just remember, everyone is in the same boat until they develop an ammonia re-circ system like Honda has on their european diesels. The design just needs to be scaled up for Class 8 trucks. Honda gave SCR the finger for 2010 in their diesel accord (60mpg). Kudos.

Navistar is also developing their new EGR engine with the C-15 Caterpillar engine as the base, since Cat is out of the heavy truck engine market. They recently purchased some kind of valve technology from Holley (yep,the carb. people) to use on this engine. You're probably right about them burying everyone else when they get this engine on the market.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Back in the 90's and early 00's I turned in 60-80 warranty claims a year where now it's 600+. Things were so simple back then.

On a far more serious note than the routine "Volvo bashing" -

Ford announced last week that it is selling Volvo (Ford is the majority shareholder)to the Chinese.

New company is "Creel" or something like that.

This gets really ugly.

Not only do we buy everything from soup to nuts from the Chinese, but now they are going to provide the vehicles to bring it to us. And we owe them trillions of dollars from our highly efficient federal spending machine.

Get the picture - We better be teaching our children to speak the Chinese language.

I'm really surprised Volvo hasn't learned from the mistakes White made after the war. Remember all the truck marques they swallowed up and run into oblivion, (Autocar, Western Star, GMC) etc. Exponential growth is not always the best path to proceed upon.

This could be a case of history repeating itself. It's all about profit, and satisfying stockholders which is comical. Stockholders in a corporation usually don't give a shit about the product, history, nor operations as long as they make profit on their investment monies. If they lose monies, or do not see profit, then monies or investments are moved to another venue that seems brighter at the time.

No pride in quality, or loyalty to a product manufacturer any longer.

I have a couple of new gensets powered by Volvo 13, and 16ltr engines and they are just as reliable as any John Deere, Detroit Diesel, or the like produced diesel engines. These are all purchased on contract so it is definately not loyalty, reliability, or ready spares availability driven. They all have the same manufacturer building the alternators, it's just whatever engine manufacturer submits the low bid for their engine is installed. Not my way of doing things and probably not like most end users would operate by. Look at trucking companies such as Yellow or any of the larger ones out there. They have a mixture of power units all due to contract pricings. The terminal in Morton, IL gets six new tractors and they will be one brand, the next lot arrives from a different manufacturer.

Everybody is struggling with this garbage mandated by the govenment as far as emmisions. Even the government is fighting amongst themselves with it. This itself is funny as the government isn't even exempt from itself. Thanks to the american taxpayer this type of garbage can exist because they pay for it.

Rob

you hit that nail square on the head kudos very well said

On a far more serious note than the routine "Volvo bashing" -

Ford announced last week that it is selling Volvo (Ford is the majority shareholder)to the Chinese.

New company is "Creel" or something like that.

This gets really ugly.

Not only do we buy everything from soup to nuts from the Chinese, but now they are going to provide the vehicles to bring it to us. And we owe them trillions of dollars from our highly efficient federal spending machine.

Get the picture - We better be teaching our children to speak the Chinese language.

They already are, My 3 year old watches Dora the Explorer(spanish) and He How Ki-Lan (chinese) cartoons.

Yup. Volvo Corporation "offed" their automobile manufacturing business to Ford in the mid 90's to concentrate on their commercial truck venue and construction equipment manufacturing. This sale helped them generate the cash needed to purchase Mack.

Saab sold off their automobile division to General Motors at the same timeframe to concentrate on their aircraft and aerospace operation during the same timeframe.

This was "corporate greed" at it's highpoint; lots of free flowing money, easy credit, etc..... And now we ALL get to pay for it. This is of course thanks to the current administration that would rather borrow more foreign currencies/money to "shore up" the problem rather than hold those responsible accountable for their actions.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup. Volvo Corporation "offed" their automobile manufacturing business to Ford in the mid 90's to concentrate on their commercial truck venue and construction equipment manufacturing. This sale helped them generate the cash needed to purchase Mack.

Saab sold off their automobile division to General Motors at the same timeframe to concentrate on their aircraft and aerospace operation during the same timeframe.

This was "corporate greed" at it's highpoint; lots of free flowing money, easy credit, etc..... And now we ALL get to pay for it. This is of course thanks to the current administration that would rather borrow more foreign currencies/money to "shore up" the problem rather than hold those responsible accountable for their actions.

Rob

Just to let all you guys know, no matter what Volvo's financial situation is, the Volvo Ocean Race will continue in fine fashion. They spend hundreds of millions of swedish kronars to sponsor that god foresaken event meanwhile laying off people all around the world. The volvo way.

Just to let all you guys know, no matter what Volvo's financial situation is, the Volvo Ocean Race will continue in fine fashion. They spend hundreds of millions of swedish kronars to sponsor that god foresaken event meanwhile laying off people all around the world. The volvo way.

Speaking of the "Volvo way", this will really piss you off. While sending in my warranty parts back to "Mack" there is a change of adress. Our DSM's are complaining that there's not enough money to help our customers with "policy/goodwill" warranty but Volvo has enough money to send someone to get the name of a road changed! Which probably aint easy to do! = TMAC / Warranty Material

13403 Volvo Way (formerly 13403 Mack Truck Road)

Hagerstown, MD 21742 US

why dont volvo just fess up to their dirty little secret....THEY DONT WANT MACK TRUCKS AROUND ANYMORE. they got what they wanted a increased share in the heavy truck market, its the same old story big corparate european money takes over everything. you know what we say SCREW VOLVO AND THE BOAT THEY CAME ON....... LONG LIVE MACK.

SPUD