Rookie B Model Question.

Hello

I am still looking for my project Mack. I have narrowed it down to either a B42 or B61.

1.) Are these units the same physical size? Given the same platform, is the cab on one bigger than another? Width? My understanding that the units are the same size and the difference was in the frame strength and engines.

2.) Do you need a CDL to drive a B42 or B61? I will register it historical or classic and will use it for local driving and having fun (no work)?

I know these are rookie question. I thank you in advance for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

You probably dont need a CDL to drive a truck or tractor. The B-model itself probably does not weigh enough to make a CDL mandatory. It is determined by weight. Check your state laws and have proof of what your truck weighs. (Scale it at your local truckstop)If you begin to pull a trailer tht may be a different issue.

Actually, the CDL requirements are based on the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) in the case of straight trucks, or the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) in the case of a semi tractor, not on the weight of an unloaded truck or tractor.

From here:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

However, in some states if the truck is not being used commercially and is registered wirh collector or antique type plates a CDL may not be required.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"