Mack Questions

the vision is the most comfortable truck i ever sat in quiet, smooth and roomy, like nothing else.

I think so too bigen. I think my Vision is overall the most comfortable truck I've ever been in. Now if I could just make a round or 2 without a $1500-$2500 breakdown I'd be a happy camper. In the early 70's I put a 250 Cummins in an H model Mack so I know with the right cutting tip and the right duct tape this Vision might come into a 60 series Detroit this summer..

what are you pulling cardboard to get that kind of mileage with a hood?

I am running 3.55's with a 13 speed and I also run about 62-65 unless I need to step it up a bit. I cut her loose on the horsepower and turned the torque up. I progressive shift, am easy on the throttle getting her rolling and try to keep the rpm's around 1400 or less while cruising. It's all in how you drive them.

Ok back to the topic of Macks, I found out why this truck has low mileage. It was used to pull a bottom dump and worked locally. The fleet was downsized and so it was sold. The dealer that sold it sat on it or some time before it was sold. So that is why it only has 163K on it. What do you guys think about something like this?

I think so too bigen. I think my Vision is overall the most comfortable truck I've ever been in. Now if I could just make a round or 2 without a $1500-$2500 breakdown I'd be a happy camper. In the early 70's I put a 250 Cummins in an H model Mack so I know with the right cutting tip and the right duct tape this Vision might come into a 60 series Detroit this summer..

i have really been babying my ch after the cx nightmare, but was running behind on sleep and delivery time.

loaded,unloaded,and drove over 1,000 miles, oklahoma city and back hyway 44 lots a hills, in less than 18 hours, havnt trucked like that in years, believe it or not it gets better mpg at 70 mph, than 60 mph. i would have been scared to even attept that in my cx, not to mention mpg would drop to nothing.

i guess the ch is more suitable to days of thunder, but i did have to get a gell seat cushion about half way through. maybe my butt didnt get tired in the cx because of constant checking and adding coolant.

its a good i have a windshield because my teeth would be covered in bugs from smiling so much.

I am running 3.55's with a 13 speed and I also run about 62-65 unless I need to step it up a bit. I cut her loose on the horsepower and turned the torque up. I progressive shift, am easy on the throttle getting her rolling and try to keep the rpm's around 1400 or less while cruising. It's all in how you drive them.

Ok back to the topic of Macks, I found out why this truck has low mileage. It was used to pull a bottom dump and worked locally. The fleet was downsized and so it was sold. The dealer that sold it sat on it or some time before it was sold. So that is why it only has 163K on it. What do you guys think about something like this?

that is the exact same story i got when i bought my cx.

local truck with a condo?

my past experiance, if i couln't talk to previos owner, i wouldn't even think about it.

i have really been babying my ch after the cx nightmare, but was running behind on sleep and delivery time, loaded,unloaded,and drove over 1,000 miles, oklahoma city and back hyway 44 lots a hills, in less than 18 hours, havnt trucked like that in years, believe it or not it gets better mpg at 70 mph, than 60 mph. i would have been scared to even attept that in my cx, not to mention mpg would drop to nothing.

i guess the ch is more suitable to days of thunder, but i did have to get a gell seat cushion about half way through. maybe my butt didnt get tired in the cx because of constant checking and adding coolant.

its a good i have a windshield because my teeth would be covered in bugs from smiling so much.

mine gets about a mpg more running 68-72 over 55-60, mine pulls hard at 1200 but is not as efficent when its turning 1400-1500rpms I've avg 7.0 all winter non-egr motor though I would have thought the rawhide would have ridden better than a vision due to being a set forward axle

What are you getting fuel mileage wise with one of those? I want something as fuel efficent as possible. At the moment I get 6.7-7.5 with my W-900

mine has a vip trip log that shows over the last 50,000 miles it's average is 5.56 mpg that is being drove like you stole it, grossing 80,000 to 90,000 gvw.in the va. mountains.

in the last 5,000 miles i have brought the average up to 5.58 mpg. i need to figure how to reset the vip so i can keep a better eye on it.

I would have thought the rawhide would have ridden better than a vision due to being a set forward axle

me to, but it dont, same cab

i have to check the air ride on the cab seems like little or no give. im not complaning,

the vision is unmatched in comfort and quiet, it can only be compared to a luxury car, no joke.

mine gets about a mpg more running 68-72 over 55-60, mine pulls hard at 1200 but is not as efficent when its turning 1400-1500rpms

i always liked the way a mack pulls at 1200 rpm's. but in my cx, it seemed like my coolant push was worse at that rpm,so now i never pull mine bellow 1300 rpm. and at 1650 to 1700 mine pulls like its pissed off, so if im pulling a big hill i twist her up and listen to the turbo, and not a drop of coolant loss.

maybe the 04,05 reputation kept it from selling?

fjh and mackpro68 know what they are talking about,they work on hundreds of these trucks every year.

alot of the rest of us deal with just a small fraction of that, but still like to voice our opionions, mixed in with some trucker bs.

That is kind of what I am thinking. I am going to see if I can contact the previous owner some how. I don't even know if they are still in business. Thanks again for the info guys. As of now I am still leaning towards a Mack because they seem to have the most space and nicest ride out of what I have been test driving.

You can't go wrong with a CX... The last truck I drove on the day I retired was a CX, and it was the best truck I've ever driven; Better than any Mack or any other brand. Even in fleet spec with spring suspension it rode smooth and was as quier as a car inside. Excellent visibility with the sloping hood, and the controls all seemed to be in the right place.

You can't go wrong with a CX... The last truck I drove on the day I retired was a CX, and it was the best truck I've ever driven; Better than any Mack or any other brand. Even in fleet spec with spring suspension it rode smooth and was as quier as a car inside. Excellent visibility with the sloping hood, and the controls all seemed to be in the right place.

if i were a copany driver it couldn't get any better than a cx. but as a o/o i have to earn money, and the cx cost per mile comes strait out of my pocket.

I pulled a Carfax report on this truck and it wasn't sold but was Repo'd. So that explains why its for sale here in CA and why the miles were relatively low with the kind of work it did.

If it's a repo then make sure to really check it over thoroughly, check the tie rod ends, drag link ends, steering axle kingpins, U joints etc. for unusual looseness, because chances are if the previous owner didn't have enough money to make the payments, they probably didn't have enough money for grease jobs & maintenance either.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to sample the engine oil, trans & diff lubes and have them analyzed too.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

That is very true. When I go back up to look at it again I am taking a couple fo guys with me one is a mechanic and the other is a DOT Officer for California Highway Patrol. I figure if it can pass their inspections and has nothing wrong with the oil, tranny fluid, and gear oil in the rears it should be alright. I just will have to get the dealer to upgrade the exhaust gaskets and the studs and anything else before I would purchase it.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...
  • 2 months later...

2004 mack vision. Where is the trip reset for the odometer..I can't find it. Had this truck 3 days and I do not know where to reset it the trips or if it even has that. All that shows in the odometer cluster is the truck mileage and the hours. Please help me