Dot Exemption

farmer52

Well I finally won a round with the DOT. I received my biennial update notice in the mail. I called the OH DOT and asked why I need to do this "crap" when I am a private person, driving a private vehicle, and not for hire. After a few rounds I was able to convince the person that I am really not in this for any money or a business write-off. I just want to be able to drive my truck to shows and for pleasure. I told him I wanted to cancel my DOT number and I would take the risk when I drive out of state. I faxed the form to him and he faxed back a confirmation letter (cancelled DOT number) with the exemption section attached. FYI, the section is 390.3 of the FMCSR. It states an exemption for use of a vehicle for "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation". I was trying to get this since I first bought my truck about a year ago. I guess the government does move REAL SLOW.

I am now waiting for another "shot" my direction.

OH rules say I do not need to keep a log book or have a fuel sticker as long as I am in the state. Do I need to keep a log book when I drive my truck out-of-state? What about a fuel sticker? I do have my CDL and medical card up-to-date.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Pretty hokey isn't it? You will probably be doing less with your truck than the average senior citizen does with their motorhome. Yet they don't have to have more than a simple driver's license...no log books, no IFTA, no USDOT/ICC #'s, no CDL, no medical card...which I'm sure they wouldn't be able to get with oxygen hooked to their noses. Pisses me the f*%k off.

I wish you luck.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Hey Gambi, thanks for the note. Yea, I sometimes worry about grandma and grandpa (no offense anyone) tooling down the interstate with the cruise on and both in the back cooking breakfast. I understand and agree about safety but the government has overstepped their territory and fail to use common sense. I will stop before I get myself in a tizzy. I put a whopping 600 miles on my truck last year (300 miles driving it home from the dealer).

BTW, I made copy of the exemption letter and it is tucked away in the storage bin.

Ken

Well, glad to hear you got over that hurdle.

As for fuel tax? When I was going to NY for national covention, I was going to purchase temp passes, but decided to cancel it all and go historical. I suppose you could do the same, call the state you are traveling through and purchase the pass. Or just fly under the radar and hope no one sees you(don't hit scales).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Well, glad to hear you got over that hurdle.

As for fuel tax? When I was going to NY for national covention, I was going to purchase temp passes, but decided to cancel it all and go historical. I suppose you could do the same, call the state you are traveling through and purchase the pass. Or just fly under the radar and hope no one sees you(don't hit scales).

Hi Larry! I can't go historical (1992 not 25 years old) and a pass is not that cheap. Depending where I go, I may hit some scales. May also go on turnpike and they are always looking.

I have a friend who has an extra IFTA fuel sticker. If and when the time comes, what do you think of using his extra IFTA sticker? Will it create any problems for him?

I was thinking today, should I put "EXEMPT" on each side of the cab? I already have "PRIVATE VEHICLE - NOT FOR HIRE" on each side.

Ken

Not sure about the IFTA sticker? I put one one mine that first year, but then cancelled it so never reported any "tax". Not sure if they would just look at it or run the number and see you aren't included on his paperwork? I'm pretty sure you have to have paperwork showing the truck that the sticker is assigned to(just to keep this from happening).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Farmer,

With the IFTA sticker, or any other regulated sticker, plate or license - you are probably off to just go without it and plead ignorance if you get asked. Putting on a false or "borrowed" sticker is a sign that you did know what you were doing, and a sure way to get into bigger trouble.

I once got stopped for having one of my New York "Dealer" plates on the front bumper of the tractor, and the other (from the same set of two) on the back of the trailer. But - I only got stopped after almost 1,000 miles and several states of hauling a load of cars that actually belonged to another dealer. I was within a couple of miles of my destination, and I didn't talk a lot about where I had come from. I just pled stupidity - which came fairly naturally. We had a long discussion about just how bad I had been. And - luckily, we never talked about the fact that just having a load for hire on the trailer was really illegal. After a while, the trooper could see that he had a genuine brain surgeon on his hands, and let me complete my mission with the very solemn promise never to do anything like that again! And I have honored that promise. I promise!

So, I believe that ignorance and stupidity are true virtues, and I would practice them, if I were you.

Paul Van Scott

I agree with Paul. I'd rather try to explain no sticker than a bootleg sticker. I must admit though, I'm haven't been brave enough to go out of state (PA) on our "classis car" plates.

Has anyone else out there been stopped and questioned at a scale?

Never questioned, but yelled at over the pa to go around the scales when I was pulling my mobile home with an R190.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm not sure what to do when you get to scales. Even when I'm driving new (on dealer tag)I always cross scales. I don't want some pissed off cop stopping me 'cause I "blew" the scales.

That's interesting that you chastised for erring on the side of caution.

But then again, in that situation I like being yelled at as long as they're telling me to keep moving, and get the ____ out of here!!

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Interesting. My state (VA) has a 250 mile trip cap on antique tags. I assumed that other states had similar, but a very quick look shows that OH and PA does not have this restriction. That's good to know. I can get to most any state border in 250 miles; after that I might not have to worry.

Historic or antique plates are state regulated, and have a different set of rules for each state.

In New York, for instance, "Historic" plates are fairly easy to obtain. The vehicle can then legally be driven "occasionally", for maintenance purposes, and/or to and from shows, events and parades. (Every time I go out - it's an EVENT! I'm just not sure that counts)

A load can be carried with HX plates, provided that the load is not carried for hire. Technically, the load must be part of the truck demonstration or show. So you could carry a second vehicle on a trailer for a show, etc. - but, you just can't do it for hire.

I do not believe that New York places any mileage restriction on the use of the plates.

No state DOT number is required, although we must comply with local regulations in other states - such as fuel tax reporting, toll payments, etc. I'm not certain about a federal DOT sticker.

From that statement - I think it's best to be well documented by using a log book for your time and tracking all receipts for tolls and fuel purchases. The log book only takes a few minutes and filing receipts is easy.

One option, at least in New York, is to register the vehicle as a "Recreational Vehicle". No special licensing is required for the driver - which may, or may not, be right - but it's the law. The limitations are few with regard to fuel tax, log book usage, DOT regs, and compliance with any mandatory scale or roadside checks. You don't have to stop - but be prepared for a visit from your friendly officer of the law when he pulls you over for not stopping! And have your explanation well planned and rehearsed - you will need it!

As an RV, the carrying of a load other than perhaps a second, smaller vehicle is probably prohibited, and definitely can't be used for revenue hauling.

Also in New York, and in most states, the licensing of a truck is levied by weight. If you want to go big - you are going to pay. If, however, you are just using the old truck as a toy with no intention of hauling heavy loads - it may be fairly economical to simply license it light and use it accordingly. All of the rules go with you when you do that - but there aren't any real risks involved if you follow the rules, and I think you show some credibility to the law enforcement people, who may respect what you are trying to do and actually help you rather than fight you!

Hope this helps.

Paul VS

Historic or antique plates are state regulated, and have a different set of rules for each state...Hope this helps.

Paul VS

Hey, Paul -

Yes, that's a nice summary! I knew the Historic tags regs were by state, but I assumed that they were similar enough to have the mileage cap that VA has. Glad to hear that VA is the exception (based on a small sample).

We have Pennsylvania "Classis Car" registration, and Travelers (Gulfway)insurance on our Superliner. If you go onto the Penn DOT website, rules and restrictions are extremely vague at best, there really aren't any. However there are restrictions from the insurance carrier, 1) You may tow an owned trailer, & 2) You may haul an"owned" (truck or tractor?) load.

From a state legal perspective, it appears that a "heavy" truck with a "classic car" registration is a very "gray" area of the law, and I don't know if you are subject to any weight restrictions, and I can easily assume commercial activity is strictly taboo. as well it should be.

If anybody out there can enlighten me at all about any of this, I would appreciate it. It would be nice to see some more specific written guidelines.

So far we have not taken the truck out of Pennsylvania, because I am not sure how other states view this type of registration, if you are treated like a commercial vehicle (weight restrictions, & fuel tax reporting & logs) or not.

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I've been up against the same kind of problem with my ol' EH. I want to be able to use it as Farmer52 is set for;"occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation",but they're telling me the only way I can legally drive the truck is to get standard Commercial plates for it,though I can go with a "declared weight" of 19,000 which is the max. rating on the truck without a 5th wheel plate (I presume they're thinking flatbed truck). Anyway,it's really hard for me to justify spending $300.00 per year for registration (and it doesn't get cheaper next year-it's the same price per year!),about $2,000.00 per year for insurance (due to Commercial plates)and 6-7 miles per gallon just to drive,essentially,a play truck around. Personally,I think the only reason they're taking this so seriously is because it's a :mack1: ;I was as much as told outright that if it was a Chevy,or my GMC 2 ton,it'd cost me the same for tags and insurance as for my Chevy one ton.

All I can say is WTF???? :unsure: Does it sound like sufficient grounds for a discrimination lawsuit against the State of Nevada?

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the information. I currently have "PRIVATE VEHICLE - NOT FOR HIRE" decals on each side of the truck. I am thinking seriously of placing "EXEMPT" on the sides too and forget about the IFTA sticker. I can plead "ignorance" very easy! B)

Years ago when I owned my 1962 H67 (plated as a historical vehicle) I got stopped at the PA turnpike entrance for not having a fuel sticker. The officer issued me a ticket. I contacted ATHS and eventually PA DOT and they gave me an exemption letter (historical vehicles do not need a fuel sticker). I showed up in court with the letter and the judge dismissed my case. However, it did cost me a day of vacation and gas for the trip.

I am going to investigate RV plates. After all my truck does have a sleeper. Eventually when I get a drop deck van trailer (moving trailer) I may build a sleeping area in the front section. Then I could probably pass for an RV.

Life could be so simple if they would just let us "play with our trucks"! :SMOKIE-LFT:

P.S. I thought about putting a dually pickup bed on the back. But with a spring rear suspension on my MH the bed will fall apart. Now if it only had an air ride... :rolleyes:

Ken