Water In The Oil And Vice Versa:

Rob

Shortly after taking the B67 out for a short hop and after filling the radiator back up due to a broken hose clamp and resultant leak, I discovered there was a lot of coolant in the oil. I also noticed an oil slick in the radiator. This made me think the problem was related to the oil cooler, so I took it off for testing. After cleaning in the parts washer I made up a test jig to pressurize the cooler while it would be submerged to look for bubbles. I actually found none. Glenn suggested that I isolate the air compressor so I could eliminate it from the coolant path which I tried, but the lines are so rigid from age, I did not remove them and tightened the fittings back up. Attempting to remove the oil filter element from it's housing cost me nine stitches in my left thumb the first time, then when I didn't keep the cut clean, another six when they had to go back in to get the infection out. Oh well.... After healing a few days, I removed the oil lines and drained everything down to empty, and reinstalled same without an oil filter element.

I robbed another oil cooler from a junk ENDT676 engine out back and upon taking it apart, found some broken aluminum shards in the core. After running a rod down each tube to remove these chunks of piston, (I think) the core tested fine at 80 psi under water. I then reassembled the core into the case using a new "O" ring, and gaskets then installed back onto the engine. Without the oil filter installed, I dumped four gallons of used, but clean "drain oil" into the engine fired it up. Amazing thing didn't even roll over but a couple times before roaring to life. It ran for a couple of minutes and then started to run very rough and died. It had been running fine till then. The engine died as if the stop cable was pulled out with no hesitation. After checking for fuel, (plenty) and working the priming pump, the engine still would not start. I then checked the oil which did not indicate on the stick. I dumped in another two gallons and the engine started right up and ran fine. That hydraulic governor must work well....

Letting the engine run for almost an hour, with the radiator blocked off using cardboard, there appears to be no coolant in the oil this time. I then shut the engine down, cracked the drain plug and no water, just oil. Now past the smell, I think I got it licked.

I'll get new lines made to replace old ones on Monday in celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday, and maybe drive it with all fluids changed on Tuesday, or Wednesday. Ensuring that your double time tax dollars are wisely spent, I'm working the holiday.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've pulled out enough hair workin on my Mack over the past 3 years or so...

I took the clippers to my hair a week or so ago... It might be a quarter inch long nowadays. I bought 'em for my son, gave him his first couple haircuts and turned 'em on myself.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I've pulled out enough hair workin on my Mack over the past 3 years or so...

I took the clippers to my hair a week or so ago... It might be a quarter inch long nowadays. I bought 'em for my son, gave him his first couple haircuts and turned 'em on myself.

I've saved many a dollar over the years hacking my own hair off...then I just put on a ball cap and nobody can tell how bad a hack job I did. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

At least he wasn't sitting on his ass like me, you, and Gambi. People are gonna start thinking we are crazy.

thinking it? it's obvious y'all are crazy! I managed to get to the grocery store yesterday and came home and attempted to cook a beast roast on the grill, but it came out so tough it was barely edible. Shoulda went with the crock pot.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

thinking it? it's obvious y'all are crazy! I managed to get to the grocery store yesterday and came home and attempted to cook a beast roast on the grill, but it came out so tough it was barely edible. Shoulda went with the crock pot.

Beast Roast-$20

Time spent cooking- A few hours

Barely edible and lesson learned-Pricless

:lol::lol:

Beast Roast-$20

Time spent cooking- A few hours

Barely edible and lesson learned-Pricless

:lol::lol:

Here's how I cook those:

Put the roast in a big roasting pan, season with pepper & garlic powder, throw in some peeled onions, potatoes, carrots & peas, pour about an inch of water in, cover pan, put in oven @ 450 for 15 minutes, then cut temp back to 250 and let cook for about 6 hours.

That roast is so tender it don't even need no chewin', and the onions give it a good flavor, along with the taters carrots & peas.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Here's how I cook those:

Put the roast in a big roasting pan, season with pepper & garlic powder, throw in some peeled onions, potatoes, carrots & peas, pour about an inch of water in, cover pan, put in oven @ 450 for 15 minutes, then cut temp back to 250 and let cook for about 6 hours.

That roast is so tender it don't even need no chewin', and the onions give it a good flavor, along with the taters carrots & peas.

Now that there sounds like some good eating.

Now that there sounds like some good eating.

It does! I wanted to try something different, it was a nice day to grill something. The roast was a freebie, from a cow my brother had slaughtered. I seared it on the grill first, then put it in an aluminum roasting pan with potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, and a can of beef broth. Then I covered it with foil and cooked it until the potatoes were done. Meat was tougher than a truck tire. The potatoes, onions, and carrots were good though.

Reminds me of the old recipe for cooking a carp-

use 1 12 inch pine board, cleaned well. Butter the board all over. Clean carp and place on board. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme to taste. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for one hour. When done to a golden brown remove from oven. Carefully remove carp from board, then throw carp away and eat board.

It does! I wanted to try something different, it was a nice day to grill something. The roast was a freebie, from a cow my brother had slaughtered. I seared it on the grill first, then put it in an aluminum roasting pan with potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, and a can of beef broth. Then I covered it with foil and cooked it until the potatoes were done. Meat was tougher than a truck tire. The potatoes, onions, and carrots were good though.

Reminds me of the old recipe for cooking a carp-

use 1 12 inch pine board, cleaned well. Butter the board all over. Clean carp and place on board. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme to taste. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for one hour. When done to a golden brown remove from oven. Carefully remove carp from board, then throw carp away and eat board.

You'll be shittin' splinters.

:pat:

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Here's how I cook those:

Here's how I cook those...I've got several methods:

1) I ask mom to make me one if she asks what I want for dinner when I'm in town.

2) I ask my woman to make me one when she's in town.

3) If I'm not at mom's and my woman ain't here, I go to town, sit down at a table in a restaurant, and ask the waitress to bring me one.

I learned a LONG time ago I just don't belong in a kitchen. :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Let the truck sit all night and it fired right off this morning. I then let it warm for about an hour and drained the oil. There was a little water that I believe is still being washed out of the system. I then drained all the connecting hoses and the filter cannister. After installing my new filter and prefilling the cannister, I then dumped several gallons into the crankcase. After starting the engine back up and allowing for stabilization, it was shut off and another 3/4 gallon oil added to bring to the top of stick mark.

After letting the truck warm I decided to go down the road piece so I equalized the steer tires at 80psi, (10.00X20) and off I go. Last time I attempted this I thought I was going to dent the roof with my skull; this time not so bad and actually started to smooth after about three miles on the highway. I followed a car and assuming they were doing about 55mph, I still had more speed available to me. Little different to shift the duplex trans rather than a tri, or quad. Don't take a whole lot of time to get used to it but there is a learning curve.

This is a very good starting truck. Actually starts better than some I have that are much newer. The short wheelbase on camelback springs is a killer though. I would be surprised if this truck has a 125" wheelbase so it is pretty sharp in the ride. Kinda lets you know a man is needed to drive it rather than an excuse for a truck driver.

The clutch is very easy to push and seems to work well. It does completely release when the pedal is pushed down and does not rattle or jump when engaging. I'm going to see if I can borrow a trailer for testing from our local ag dealer that I do quite a bit of work for. I don't know how long before the engine will turn the new oil black and it is still almost clear after over an hour of run time but will continue to check if for coolant contamination. Haven't flushed out the cooling system and put anti-freeze back in yet but the truck is stored inside the heated shop. Don't want to make it weatherproof until I know for sure the water in oil problem is solved.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Let the truck sit all night and it fired right off this morning. I then let it warm for about an hour and drained the oil. There was a little water that I believe is still being washed out of the system. I then drained all the connecting hoses and the filter cannister. After installing my new filter and prefilling the cannister, I then dumped several gallons into the crankcase. After starting the engine back up and allowing for stabilization, it was shut off and another 3/4 gallon oil added to bring to the top of stick mark.

After letting the truck warm I decided to go down the road piece so I equalized the steer tires at 80psi, (10.00X20) and off I go. Last time I attempted this I thought I was going to dent the roof with my skull; this time not so bad and actually started to smooth after about three miles on the highway. I followed a car and assuming they were doing about 55mph, I still had more speed available to me. Little different to shift the duplex trans rather than a tri, or quad. Don't take a whole lot of time to get used to it but there is a learning curve.

This is a very good starting truck. Actually starts better than some I have that are much newer. The short wheelbase on camelback springs is a killer though. I would be surprised if this truck has a 125" wheelbase so it is pretty sharp in the ride. Kinda lets you know a man is needed to drive it rather than an excuse for a truck driver.

The clutch is very easy to push and seems to work well. It does completely release when the pedal is pushed down and does not rattle or jump when engaging. I'm going to see if I can borrow a trailer for testing from our local ag dealer that I do quite a bit of work for. I don't know how long before the engine will turn the new oil black and it is still almost clear after over an hour of run time but will continue to check if for coolant contamination. Haven't flushed out the cooling system and put anti-freeze back in yet but the truck is stored inside the heated shop. Don't want to make it weatherproof until I know for sure the water in oil problem is solved.

Rob

All that talk about work is makin' me tired... :pat:

All that talk about work is makin' me tired... pat.gif

Big difference when you work on them as a hobby rather than your livelihood.

Rob

Big difference when you work on them as a hobby rather than your livelihood.

Rob

Yup. I have a project truck buried out there in a deep dark corner of my garage....an '86 Ranger that was the first "new" vehicle my dad ever bought. I LOVE working on it, but ran out of money when I started moving forward on my plans to buy a work truck. I've got the 289 block (from a '66 Mustang) stripped down...just gotta buy the parts and get to building it. I've also got a new cab to put on it...just got a few tiny holes in the floor to fix...and a few other things. Them projects cost money, and these days I don't spend money I don't have to spend on anything not related to my Mack and keeping it working for me...always scared that today's frivolous purchase will mean I can't fix tomorrow's breakdown. Hopefully things turn around soon and rates start coming up again...it would be nice to actually be able to have hobbies again. Don't get me wrong...I have enough to cover my needs and the bank account is growing (albeit slowly)...it's just that I don't have the "cushion" I would LIKE to have...but then who does? Easier to just do without life's frivolities for a few years until you can better afford them than it is to get everything you want right now at this very second and then spend the next 20 or 30 years miserable as you try to dig yourself out of the hole ya dug getting everything ya wanted back then. A dollar stretches a LOT farther when ya don't owe it to 12 different people 6 months before ya earn it. :thumb:

Yup. I have a project truck buried out there in a deep dark corner of my garage....an '86 Ranger that was the first "new" vehicle my dad ever bought. I LOVE working on it, but ran out of money when I started moving forward on my plans to buy a work truck. I've got the 289 block (from a '66 Mustang) stripped down...just gotta buy the parts and get to building it. I've also got a new cab to put on it...just got a few tiny holes in the floor to fix...and a few other things. Them projects cost money, and these days I don't spend money I don't have to spend on anything not related to my Mack and keeping it working for me...always scared that today's frivolous purchase will mean I can't fix tomorrow's breakdown. Hopefully things turn around soon and rates start coming up again...it would be nice to actually be able to have hobbies again. Don't get me wrong...I have enough to cover my needs and the bank account is growing (albeit slowly)...it's just that I don't have the "cushion" I would LIKE to have...but then who does? Easier to just do without life's frivolities for a few years until you can better afford them than it is to get everything you want right now at this very second and then spend the next 20 or 30 years miserable as you try to dig yourself out of the hole ya dug getting everything ya wanted back then. A dollar stretches a LOT farther when ya don't owe it to 12 different people 6 months before ya earn it. thumb.gif

Yup. Everything I own, drive, live in etc. is paid for. Don't owe anybody anything. I do have a loan on my shop that I can't pay off because of tax benefits. Otherwise I'd write a check for it and be done.

I have too many hobbies; all have a dog on the nose though. Of course there is my 68 Barracuda but I'm lazy when it comes to my own car.

Rob

Yup. Everything I own, drive, live in etc. is paid for. Don't owe anybody anything. I do have a loan on my shop that I can't pay off because of tax benefits. Otherwise I'd write a check for it and be done.

I have too many hobbies; all have a dog on the nose though. Of course there is my 68 Barracuda but I'm lazy when it comes to my own car.

Rob

I'd like to get there someday...for now, though, I've got a 1st & 2nd on the house, the truck note, and a business loan I took for operating capital when I bought the truck. The 2nd was taken because I used my house as a savings account for the first few years I owned it...couldn't see paying 7% interest on money I had in the bank getting 1%, so I overpaid considerably each month to pay down the mortgage...then tapped into the house for my down payment on the Mack.

Everything else is mine free & clear. Looking back on things, I would have been better off saving my money to make the down payment instead of overpaying & taking a 2nd. Even though the 1st was refinanced to 6% when I took the 2nd, the 2nd is at 10% and now the banks say I don't make enough to refi both loans (wrap 'em into 1 loan) at 5%...even though my monthly payment would drop. I'll probably have to wait a few more years until the truck depreciation is no longer included on my taxes, or later on this year after I get hitched and we can use her income to supplement mine on the loan application. Truck will be paid off in about 2 years...the business loan soon after. Hopefully have the house paid off in 10....putting me in the neighborhood of 40 when I don't owe anyone anything. Maybe even a little quicker once the woman gets here and we have a second income to devote entirely to paying things off. B)

Rowdy-your post regrding hobbies, not having the amount of $ you would like to have is where I'm at. Just today my son said it would be cool to have aproject truck for us to work on. I say H 67, he wants B series. Anyway, I don't have a place to work on something like this. Out of the weather, warm. Also, work has slowed down and the money I WAS making two years ago, just aint like it used to be. Hopefully, things here will pick up soon.

I did see your "choice" of firepower. Nice grouping.

Rob, glad to see one of your projects is running. One down, 88 to go

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Before I moved I was down to less then 10 yrs on my house. That all went out the window 6 yrs(already) ago. Don't owe anyone anything but on house and plan to keep it that way. I've been on 4 days for last 3 months, so I've gotten used to PBJ sandwiches and not going out alot. G/F been making dinner instead of going out(and me paying most times). IF and WHEN things get better I won't know what to do with all the extra money :thumb:

Oh, ya, just got my property tax bill Saturday :angry: There goes a nice chunka change :(

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Before I moved I was down to less then 10 yrs on my house. That all went out the window 6 yrs(already) ago. Don't owe anyone anything but on house and plan to keep it that way. I've been on 4 days for last 3 months, so I've gotten used to PBJ sandwiches and not going out alot. G/F been making dinner instead of going out(and me paying most times). IF and WHEN things get better I won't know what to do with all the extra money :thumb:

Oh, ya, just got my property tax bill Saturday :angry: There goes a nice chunka change :(

I know what you mean. I pay about 3 times as much in proprty taxes since I moved from Appomattox to Campbell county, and have half as much land. They asessed my property at twice what I paid for it, and now I gotta pay property tax on the mixer too. In Appomattox an antique vehicle was exempt.