Quad Box Rebuild

joes mack

do any one know anyone that does rebuilds on the quadbox trannys mine is so loud you cant stand to be in the cab in high split it was suposed to rebuilt when the guy gave it to me but it dont sound too good. i was also wanting to know if a 8ll out of a 87 RD888 would be fairly easy to swap in to my 1969 DM600 with a 237 the RD has a 350 in it will the bell housings match up? i dont know anyone whi has ever done a swap like that before most put a 6 speed in but that would slow it down too much sence my truck has 7.58 rears and the RD has 7.29 and it used to run about 55 on the highway before it was wrecked. any help would be greatly appreciated. i want to keep the truck running good because it drives like a dream loaded or empty and i like it better than some of the newer ones i have drove for years. mabey it is because it is mine or it is better built than the DMs/RDs ftom the 80/90s. i would like to retire it so i can restore it one day but cant aford to sence coal busines arround here is so slow. cant even find a haul for it now. evereone has under cut the haul bills no one can make any money. thanks joe

i would like to retire it so i can restore it one day but cant aford to sence coal busines arround here is so slow. cant even find a haul for it now. evereone has under cut the haul bills no one can make any money. thanks joe

sounds just like flatbed work. Hope it picks up after New Years.

I saw a quadruplex transmission and an R-model cab for sale in the Truck Paper several years ago for $700.

Wish i'd bought them now, could have resold the cab and had a spare trans.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

do any one know anyone that does rebuilds on the quadbox trannys mine is so loud you cant stand to be in the cab in high split it was suposed to rebuilt when the guy gave it to me but it dont sound too good. i was also wanting to know if a 8ll out of a 87 RD888 would be fairly easy to swap in to my 1969 DM600 with a 237 the RD has a 350 in it will the bell housings match up? i dont know anyone whi has ever done a swap like that before most put a 6 speed in but that would slow it down too much sence my truck has 7.58 rears and the RD has 7.29 and it used to run about 55 on the highway before it was wrecked. any help would be greatly appreciated. i want to keep the truck running good because it drives like a dream loaded or empty and i like it better than some of the newer ones i have drove for years. mabey it is because it is mine or it is better built than the DMs/RDs ftom the 80/90s. i would like to retire it so i can restore it one day but cant aford to sence coal busines arround here is so slow. cant even find a haul for it now. evereone has under cut the haul bills no one can make any money. thanks joe

I've seen 8LL's installed into Mack trucks in the past and would be quite certain you could accomplish that also. Mack uses a different type of transmission bellhousing when using a Fuller transmission that incorporates the rear engine mounts. as a Mack transmission uses the case itself for this mounting. If you purchase a used 8LL trans all you would really need to acquire with the purchase is this bellhousing. The rest of the parts are pretty much standard. I'm not 100% certain but think you may be able to reuse your existing clutch cable setup also. Of course driveshaft work, and the shifter handle would be needed but it should be pretty straight forward to change over.

A loud noise in an overhauled transmission is not the best thing to have. I don't know much about transmission but there were several different variants of the same model and if used parts are mated together that are close, but not perfect, the result is noise. Of course a bearing could be bad or going that way, gears could be worn needing replacement, and a multitude of things could be defective/worn out. Maybe the trans had the top cover taken off, looked at and called "rebuilt"? One never knows when acquiring from an individual.

The remaining mines around here are slow too. I'm not involved with them but the last one in close proximity closed about 10 years ago. Still a lot of coal in the ground, too expensive to get it by the time the government is taken into account.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

everyone around here that has parted out trucks thinks there goin to quit makin trucks or something you can just about buy new parts for what they want for theres. i found another quad pretty close bit the guy wanted 5000 for it i think it had gold gears in it or something. i guess he didnt want to sell it. i gave less than that for my truck 8years ago. but had to do a lot of work to it to get it road worthy but shes starting to have problems agin. joe

Edited by joes mack

if the goverment gets their way they wont be any mines left. will the bell housing off the 350 mack fit the 237? i have no idea about this stuff ive only changed engine/trans with same type that was in the truck ive never tried to retofit any thing on a mack done alot to race cars before though. ihave no idea who rebuilt it but were probabily paid with pot or beer arround here. joe

Edited by joes mack

Hi Joe, I'm not much of a mechanic but do know that the flywheel housings on the engine can be different but similar. The only real difference that I know of is the older 237 engines used a lead seal for the rear main, where the newer engines use a lip type seal. The transmission bellhousings will mate up correctly assuming you currently hava an SAE #1 housing now and will find this same size for the Fuller.

A couple others on this board will be able to answer those questions much more effectively than I can.

We are victims of a government out of control. At the current pace, collapse is about the only option.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

i know the engine is only been rebuilt for about 5 years by local mack dealer it was an exchange i think it is the newer style it has 2 oil filters the one that came out of it only had 1 big one dont know if there are that much difrence in them. old style or new style. how do you put pictures on here id like to put some on here like you guys have? (love the B models almost bought one i think they are one of the best lookin trucks ever made) you guys have some sharp trucks.. joe

Edited by joes mack

how do you put pictures on here id like to put some on here like you guys have? (love the B models almost bought one i think they are one of the best lookin trucks ever made) you guys have some sharp trucks.. joe

you should see "attachments" right under your post. right under that you'll see a box with "browse". click "browse" and you should be able to access any pictures on your PC. Right click on the picture and when another window opens just click "select". The file name will appear in the space beside the "browse" button. Then just click the "attach this file" box. Wait for the symbol indicating it's finished, then click "add reply" and that's it. You might want to resize big pictures first, as they take a long time to post and download.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Sounds like maybe the "rebuilder" used a compound countershaft drive gear which was from a different model quad box than the one it was put into, such as a TRQ 7210 vs a TRQ7220.

They look pretty much the same to the naked eye, but if they're intermixed, the howling noise in the higher gears is the result.

That said, I've also experienced that howling noise in 4th hi & 5th hi with some hi mileage 7220's that were all original, but "well worn".

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

thanks for all the info on the trans looks like in going to have to swap in the 6 speed took it out last nite split the cases. main shaft roller bearings on tranny was in bottom of trans not good. broken gears on main shaft 3 teeth missing on big gear at back. (rip quad box) hello 6 speed thats gonna suck. love the 18 speed for haulin coal off road/highway just cant beat them. thanks agin for all the info and time to read my post.. joe

thanks for all the info on the trans looks like in going to have to swap in the 6 speed took it out last nite split the cases. main shaft roller bearings on tranny was in bottom of trans not good. broken gears on main shaft 3 teeth missing on big gear at back. (rip quad box) hello 6 speed thats gonna suck. love the 18 speed for haulin coal off road/highway just cant beat them. thanks agin for all the info and time to read my post.. joe

Sorry to hear of the demise of your quad box.

Did you check Adelmans Truck Parts in Canton OH? They used to always have a few quad boxes laying around, not sure if that's the case anymore.

Regarding the 6 speed swap, if your referring to a TRXL 107 or TRXL1071 Mack 6 speed, those transmissions are direct drive in high gear, so with the 6 speed in high gear your top speed @ 2100 RPM will be the same as it was with your quad box in 4th direct @ 2100 RPM.

thanks for the info called aldermans today they dont have any in stock but they will rebuild mine for 2000 for shiping gears and everything. i was shocked to hear the price because it was so cheap to rebuild compaired to other places. now i have another stupid question does the triplex and the quad have the same front box? a friend told me where two triplex trans are at that are in cabover trucks that i pass every day and i didnt even know that they were macks. thanks agin for the info this is the best place on the net in my book and the members are the best too.. joe

The fellow I bought my B model from sold out his towing business a couple years ago and now works at Adelmans. I try to keep contact with him ocassionally.

There are quite a few gear differences, but I think the box itself is the same between Tri and Quad. The rear box is what makes the major difference(2,3,4 splits). My triplex makes noise on the coast side of 5 OD(going highway speed), but it's livable. The worst on long downhill grades, but just a touch of throttle makes it go away. Just kinda a rattlin' clank, not a constant whine.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

i was just thinking that if they were the same front box then mabey i could switch the back ones out with mine but i know there a two diffrent quads a big and a small one but i dont know about the tri. id hate to buy them only to find out they wont work i guess im just being a cheap skate trying to enginer something up so i dont have to spend so much money. if anyone knows if they will work like that please let me know thanks joe

The "baby" quad box is a TRQ77 or TRQ770 depending on whether it is single or double overdrive, those are a completely different transmission than the TRQ 720, TRQ7210, and TRQ7220.

The main box on a TRT7220 series triplex should be the same as a main box on a TRQ7220 series quadruplex, although I'm not sure about the drive gear at the back of the mainshaft that drives the compound countershaft.

o k thanks for the info i went to this guys house he has 2 f models 3 h models and 3 b models hes getting up in years and is going to start selling these trucks or scraping he said if any one would be interested in these i could talk to him to try to get some prices for them. joe

• 2 years later...

Sounds like maybe the "rebuilder" used a compound countershaft drive gear which was from a different model quad box than the one it was put into, such as a TRQ 7210 vs a TRQ7220.

They look pretty much the same to the naked eye, but if they're intermixed, the howling noise in the higher gears is the result.

That said, I've also experienced that howling noise in 4th hi & 5th hi with some hi mileage 7220's that were all original, but "well worn".

True, look same but differnt drive gear for the rear box. The fly wheel housing can be changed from most 672 cube engines but should be dialed indicated to check for run out.The trans bell housing can vary from a single plate to a double plate clutch.The frame mount bolt holes will be in differnt place in most R models when you do this. glenn

glenn akers