Rears,gears,and "speed"

the top of a b is about 65 right? but is you put a bigger engine in it would it go faster?or if you change the rears?gears~looking for a little more than the speed limit around here...

Speed is dependent on top rpm, tire size, gear ratio, and transmission. For example an over the road B model was usually geared between 62 and 72 mph at 2100. :SMOKIE-RT:

I'm not sure I remember all the numbers right, but my B 61 had a 6:52 rear which limited to gear speed and to to compound the problem I put small tires on it so I would up with a non acceptable 54. I probably should have replaced the smail tires but I repace the rear with 5:72? and got a gear speed of 68 at 2150 so I usually run the interstates at 65 @ 2100-

well,i guess ill leave the dump truck i want as original as possible(including the no power steering) and buy another b model sometime down the road and put different diferentials in it,a bigger engine and a 5 spd. trans for long hauls seems how a 20 spedd could get anoying...and i want the dumper to stay one

how hard is not having power steering anyway? im gonna try it but i just want others opinions on it

well,i guess ill leave the dump truck i want as original as possible(including the no power steering) and buy another b model sometime down the road and put different diferentials in it,a bigger engine and a 5 spd. trans for long hauls seems how a 20 spedd could get anoying...and i want the dumper to stay one

how hard is not having power steering anyway? im gonna try it but i just want others opinions on it

my B model feels like it has power steering and it does not. as long as its rolling its not to bad. My R model has no power steering and it is harder to turn the wheel than my B model is.

How would a 20 speed (I assume you mean a quadruplex) get annoying? What will really be annoying is having a 5 speed in a dump truck & trying to start off in soft ground with a load on! I can smell the burning clutch facings all the way from here! Not only that but you'll lose top end speed because the quad box is a double overdrive trans & the TRL 107 5 speed is direct in high gear. The quad box is direct when the main is in 4th & the compound in direct. The T 2050 5 speed is an overdrive trans, but there again you'll have no deep reduction to get it moving off road or on a hill. In my experience if you multiply the lowest gear ratio in the trans X the rear axle ratio, the number must be at least 60.0 in order to have acceptable startability off road. This calculation is for a truck on 10:00x20 or 11R22.5 rubber, larger tire sizes will require still deeper reduction( a higher number for overall reduction. As far as power steering? Just think of all the people who pay good money to go to a gym & work out. You'll get a work out for free. Just kidding , manual steering ain't easy, but when I was a kid that's what I learned on & then power steering seemed like heaven.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Believe it or not,my '58 B-83SX wrecker will run over 100 mph.How much more,I've never found out,can't find a road long and smooth enough.

Hey Superdog, bring it DownUnder. We have the Eyre Highway. Probably the most noteworthy feature of this stretch of the Eyre is the 'Ninety Mile Straight', which starts about 30km south-east of Balladonia and shoots in a straight line all the way to Caiguna. At 146.6km, this is one of the longest straight stretches of road in the world.

Caution though.... the Royal Flying Doctor Service occasionally uses the highway to make a landing - you'll see relevant signs and markings on the bitumen along the "runways". Landings are always heralded by personnel located on the road itself - police, roadhouse staff or others seconded for the purpose - so you'll have plenty of warning of an impending arrival. It's a rare occurrence, but it does happen!

Rod :thumb:

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

• 1 year later...

As said before, you will probably appreciate power steering, especially on a dump. "Way back I drove an LF 10-wheel dump that usually went out loaded at 73,000 lb. Any corner or other tight turn had to be planned. The technique was to use a very low gear so both hands and feet were free, stand in the cab, and lean into inching the wheel around. Some turns that looked easy took two cuts. It was easier, of course, unloaded, but still work. I would not like to try present day traffic without power steering.