Galvanized Steel Tank:

Rob

Does anybody know if a galvanized steel tank can be used to store diesel fuel? I have a nice 35 gallon water tank from an older camper that we tore apart and this tank would be great to use for a temp fuel source on an engine test stand.

I know a lot of fuel tanks are galvanized in gasoline applications, but I've never seen a truck tank for diesel galvanized. They are either aluminum, mill finish steel, or plastic.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well, Rob, as you know, I'm no chemist, but I can't see any reason why that wouldn't be OK as long as the tank is clean inside.

Diesel fuel isn't corrosive or reactive toward zinc as far as I know, so the fuel shouldn't "attack" the galvanized interior.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I was always told no on diesel in a galvanized tank. It attacks the zink and breaks it loose sending it into the fuel system. It will then jam up parts like injectors and cause no good. If you look into replacement tanks for some pick-up trucks it will state "Not for diesel" because of this. I can't remember what it is in diesel that does this but I do recall it is a no no. Get yourself a 5 gallon plastic marine tank for a test stand. You will never have a problem of stale fuel when you remember to fill it!!!!!!!! LOL!!! Sorry, couldn't pass that up!

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

I was always told no on diesel in a galvanized tank. It attacks the zink and breaks it loose sending it into the fuel system. It will then jam up parts like injectors and cause no good. If you look into replacement tanks for some pick-up trucks it will state "Not for diesel" because of this. I can't remember what it is in diesel that does this but I do recall it is a no no. Get yourself a 5 gallon plastic marine tank for a test stand. You will never have a problem of stale fuel when you remember to fill it!!!!!!!! LOL!!! Sorry, couldn't pass that up!

I just did some research and it appears that you are correct, Greg.

Re diesel fuel compatibility with metals:

From the Federal Regulations for Coast Guard fuel tanks:

46 CFR § 182.440 Independent fuel tanks.

(a) Materials and construction.

TABLE 182.440(a)(1) footnotes

"5 Gasoline fuel tanks constructed of iron or steel, which are less than 5 millimeter (0.1875) inch) thick, shall be galvanized inside and outside by the hot dip process. Tanks intended for use with diesel oil shall not be internally galvanized."

Also, in 46 CFR § 182.440, Paragraph (9):

"(10) Iron or steel diesel fuel tanks must not be galvanized on the interior. Galvanizing, paint, or other suitable coating must be used to protect the outside of iron and steel diesel fuel tanks and the inside and outside of iron and steel gasoline fuel tanks."

From here:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=178948&page=8

See, I said I wasn't a chemist!

I thought I'd read it was incompatible someplace but was unsure if it were all "in my head", (you know how much resides there). I'm building an engine stand to run engines on prior to installation and now may use the lower structural tubes as a fuel tank. I have a remote mount hand pump for priming. This galvanized tank is clean as it was the "potable" water storage for the camper.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yur spel chekker was off cause it is spelt "qwesstyuns". Eyem hear four ya!!!! B)

Gee thanks Greg, next time I have a kression 'bout how to spell sumpin' i'll feel free to ax you.Could I get your home number?

Sometimes i'll be awake at 3 or 4 in the morning and think "damn...how do you you spell 'Tucumcari".

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I thought I'd read it was incompatible someplace but was unsure if it were all "in my head", (you know how much resides there). I'm building an engine stand to run engines on prior to installation and now may use the lower structural tubes as a fuel tank. I have a remote mount hand pump for priming. This galvanized tank is clean as it was the "potable" water storage for the camper.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Rob, I've given this some more thought and I now believe that the galvanized tank would make an ideal storage vessel for your special recipe road kill sauce.

That stuff would probably eat through a plain steel tank within days, but the galvanized coating would likely slow it down to weeks or months at least.

That's my opinion anyhow.

Could I get your home number?

Sometimes i'll be awake at 3 or 4 in the morning and think "damn...how do you you spell 'Tucumcari".

I refer all calls between 9PM and 7AM to Rob. He is usually up during those times as I have seen his posting times here. Try 1-800-EAT-MORE, 1-800-ALL-CRAP, 1-800-EAT-ANML, and lastly 1-800-KNW-ITAL.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

I refer all calls between 9PM and 7AM to Rob. He is usually up during those times as I have seen his posting times here. Try 1-800-EAT-MORE, 1-800-ALL-CRAP, 1-800-EAT-ANML, and lastly 1-800-KNW-ITAL.

thanks again,i've saved them all on my phone.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, I actually stored some diesel in a blue 5 gallon galvanized can, dont remember how long it was stored,buttttttt,,,gave it to my neighbor whose tractor was out of fuel way off in field, actually told him it was old fuel, clean can out to get fresh fuel and he could keep can, he said "aw heck, diesel dont never get too old for my tractor",screwed his pump up and sample from can showed gadjillions X 10 of lil bits of galvanize microscopic poopoo. All of the galvanizing had turened loose in can, and was floating helter skelter,,,,,and thas the way it was,,,DO NOT STORE DIESEL IN GALVANIZED CANS! (or koolade for that matter)

when you weld galvanized steel you should have a fan blowing the fumes away from you or it'll make you sick. I've hauled lots of structural steel to the galvanizing plants in Ashland and Petersburg, Va. and Graham, N.C. And I pick up a lot of coils now where they galvanize them, with no ill affects-i'm pefectly normal :wacko:

Hi Rob and all. Before bulk distribution of fuel was introduced here in the 1960's, the oil companies here were very fussy about not putting diesel fuel in galvanized drums. There were still a lot of old heavy Galvanized Drums in circulation from WW2, but they were very particular to put only Petrol or Kerosene in them. Their story was that the Sulfur in the Diesel reacted with the Galvanizing and with a little moisture from condensation, formed Sulfuric Acid which, among other things, corroded the Barrels and delivery Valves in the Injector Pumps over a period of use. Apparently the Oil Companies had to compensate some users who had bought diesel fuel which had been stored in the Galvanized drums and caused damage to injection systems. Best regards Michael.

when you weld galvanized steel you should have a fan blowing the fumes away from you or it'll make you sick. I've hauled lots of structural steel to the galvanizing plants in Ashland and Petersburg, Va. and Graham, N.C. And I pick up a lot of coils now where they galvanize them, with no ill affects-i'm pefectly normal :wacko:

I was in a train car one time cutting galvanized tubing in steel mill, it was making beautiful white smoke billowing up around me, thought i had died and was sitting on a cloud somewhere, couldnt find my harp, very soon i awoke at steel mill infirmary with drastic nose bleed singing jimi hendrix tunes, but im fine now,,,,JUST WISH THOSE VOICES WOULD STOP!