Old Bill-the Diesel Gypsy

other dog

I just got an e-mail from William Weatherstone, the greatest truck driver ever in my opinion. Just read his stories about trucking all over Canada and the U.S. in a B-model Mack and you'll see why. We used to talk on Skype every weekend, but I hadn't heard from him lately. He said his wife Murt had had a mild heart attack and was still in intensive care in the hospital...

maybe everbody could put them in their prayers. He's also a member on this site.

Here's his website-

http://www.thedieselgypsy.com/

Be sure to check out "Honeymoon Chariot"

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Bill also said she had been diagnosed with early stages of another serious disease...I sorta don't feel right saying this. He probably wouldn't want me to-

but I feel we should step up, because of my respect and admiration for the man. They do have free health care in Canada, but he's been taking her back and forth from Elliot Lake to Sudbury to the hospital for some time now. I suspected something wasn't right, but I didn't want to come right out and ask.

I'm just thinking we could help, if only a little-there's over 3,000 members here! I know times are tight, they are for me, but if anyone wanted to send him anything to help cover his expenses, or just a card or letter, it would be great. His address is

William Weatherstone

408-100 Warsaw Place

Elliot Lake

Ontario P5A 2S8

Canada

thanks

I really like his stories, they really kept me pre-occupied while i was workin security. I'll see what I can do for the fellar, and I encourage everybody to read his stories. Most of you fellow truckers have had the same experiences yourselves, but he has some good stories.

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

I really like his stories, they really kept me pre-occupied while i was workin security. I'll see what I can do for the fellar, and I encourage everybody to read his stories. Most of you fellow truckers have had the same experiences yourselves, but he has some good stories.

Amen brother! (Bulldogman)

He might hate me now, he didn't tell me to say anything about this , and I certainly don't know that he wanted his address known, but I know from personal experience what a difference some extra money can make at a time like this- that's why I always go to the annual benefit in Toga, Va.

I did not tell him anything about posting anything anywhere either-it'll be a surprise ...or maybe a shock.

I heard from Old Bill. He said he got the picture disc I sent him, but said his PC would be "parked" for a while because he had "a very sick wife who needs my 100% attention now".

He also said his website was good for another 12 months, and if he had to shut it down after that he would put my page and all my stuff on a cd. I told him to not even worry about that (i've printed it all anyway), because he has much more serious issues to deal with now.

I still think our help would be very beneficial to him. Over 3,000 members...half will never see this...half that will won't pay any attention-but what about the rest? Like I said, times are tight-I sat home myself all last week, from Tuesday 'til Friday. But if the rest sent even 5 or 10 dollars each, that's pretty good help i'd say. I put all my pocket change in a coffee can every week, and it's full to the top now. I'm gonna take that to the bank tomorrow, and that's what i'm gonna send, however much it may be. I can barely lift the can.

Remember-there's strength in numbers!

http://www.thedieselgypsy.com/

I'm pretty sure the best way to send money would be through PayPal. I've used it to donate to Hank's. If I have a PayPal account they must not be too hard to get, as long as you have a credit card. If you have questions about PayPal

just ask Barry. ;)

Well, I sent a contribution to Old Bill today thru PayPal-you don't even need a credit card actually, a checking account works as well. And it's secure-if you have any questions about PayPal, just ask Barry. I actually estimated how much change was in the can-anybody want to guess? You saw the picture, however I did pour it into a Food Lion coffee can so I could keep the Richard Petty can, and it wouldn't quite hold it all. I was thinking between 2 and 3 hundred dollars, so I sent $250. The bank said it wouldn't be counted until Monday (holiday-no chance!) or Tuesday.

I certainly don't expect anybody to send that kind of money, i'm thinking the strength in numbers deal-a lot of people helping a little-it adds up!

I'm not gonna be like a politician and beg for donations for Bill, I just remember my own situation with my wife-the Toga benefit allowed me to be with her the last 2 months she was alive, every day and every night. As I may have mentioned before, we met in September of 1984, got married in November 1984, and never even had an argument in the 20 years we were married.( I've already had 26,847 arguments with Jo, and we're not even married...yet.) I'm not saying he's looking at the same situation, but it's bad.

http://www.thedieselgypsy.com/honeymoon_chariot.htm

PayPal asked for an e-mail address to send funds, not a physical address, so his e-mail address is bw@vianet.ca or bw36gypsy@hotmail.com

If you want to hear the whole story, i'll be glad to tell it...

Your a good man for doin that, Nice of you to help out...Thats alot of change though.........alot

yeah, it is-every weekend when i'd get home I just put all the loose change in my pocket in that can. Been doing it for a while, can just got full...very heavy!

Your a good man for doin that, Nice of you to help out...Thats alot of change though.........alot

My fuel tanks, and fund, are still empty; Yet I get no sympathy, just picked on making me feel terrible.

I'm gonna donate to this cause though, and leave the trucks set a little while longer while I conger up some needed fuel.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well, I sent a contribution to Old Bill today thru PayPal-you don't even need a credit card actually, a checking account works as well. And it's secure-if you have any questions about PayPal, just ask Barry. I actually estimated how much change was in the can-anybody want to guess? You saw the picture, however I did pour it into a Food Lion coffee can so I could keep the Richard Petty can, and it wouldn't quite hold it all. I was thinking between 2 and 3 hundred dollars, so I sent $250. The bank said it wouldn't be counted until Monday (holiday-no chance!) or Tuesday.

I certainly don't expect anybody to send that kind of money, i'm thinking the strength in numbers deal-a lot of people helping a little-it adds up!

I'm not gonna be like a politician and beg for donations for Bill, I just remember my own situation with my wife-the Toga benefit allowed me to be with her the last 2 months she was alive, every day and every night. As I may have mentioned before, we met in September of 1984, got married in November 1984, and never even had an argument in the 20 years we were married.( I've already had 26,847 arguments with Jo, and we're not even married...yet.) I'm not saying he's looking at the same situation, but it's bad.

PayPal asked for an e-mail address to send funds, not a physical address, so his e-mail address is bw@vianet.ca or bw36gypsy@hotmail.com

OK then, since so many people axed-

I might be known here as someone who's never serious-and most of the time i'm not, but occasionally I am. It's almost unbelievable, but absolutely true about my wife and I never having an argument. It was like we were meant for each other...I always thought i'd be enjoying this time of my life with her. But-sometimes our plans and God's plans are different.

My wife Becky was diagnosed with multiple myloma, a form of blood cancer in the plasma cells 2 years before she passed away. She was a very beautiful redhead-stunningly beautiful. One time kneebrace and myself took some long loads to San Angelo, Texas and after we got there and got a motel room he said "let's go to the bar and try to pick up some women". I said "i'll go to the bar, but i'm happily married and couldn't be led astray". He said "we're way down here in Texas...you're serious, aren't you?". And I said "yes I am".

She started having pain in her ribs that just wouldn't go away...finally after going to several doctors she was diagnosed with cancer. It was devastating to hear, to both of us. It would take me a week to tell everything here, typing with

one finger, but the whole time she was in the hospital I was there with her-every day and every night. Chemo treatments-I was there.

She seemed to be getting better for about a year after the chemo then all of a sudden BAM!..everything seemed to come back all at once, only twice as bad.

The second annual benefit at Toga (Toga, Va. volunteer fire department-located on rt. 24 in Buckingham co,Va.)

was for her and another woman with cancer. They raised about 12 to 14 thousand dollars I think, I don't remember exactly, to divide between them. I had insurance at work, but it only paid 80% of the bills. The money from the benefit helped pay the rest, but most importantly to me, I stayed with her in the hospital every day, then at home with her every day the entire 2 months. Patsy Moore, at F.L.Moore and sons, paid me every week during that time too so I could pay my insurance, even though I never turned a wheel. From the goodness of her heart...Becky's daughter, my stepdaughter, stole about $2500 from us from the-never mind that,i'm over it-...Becky was only 47 years old when she died.

So, in Bill's situation the reason i'm so concerned about it is that I know the situation he's in. I might feel more concerned than most because he's a good friend, but also because of the feelings I know he has for his wife. Not that she's dying, but still he'll have to give her a lot of care. People helped me in ways i'll never be able to say "thank you" enough for, so i'm trying to help him also, to help me repay some of the help I got.

Here's a picture of Becky in a cabover KW I used to drive, and at home, and one I found of my son Morgan and myself. You can certainly see the resemblance.

My fuel tanks, and fund, are still empty; Yet I get no sympathy, just picked on making me feel terrible.

I'm gonna donate to this cause though, and leave the trucks set a little while longer while I conger up some needed fuel.

Rob

Thank you Rob-I sent you a check for $2.19 to buy a gallon of fuel...musta got lost in the mail. :rolleyes:

And to show my appreciation for your generosity, I promise to not pick on you from now 'til June 1st...hey, wait a minute-I never picked on you anyway. I have way too much respect for you to do that. -_-

Old Bill just contacted me on windows live messenger...then he sent an e-mail, wanting my cell phone number, because i'd had the home phone disconnected. I figured I must be in really big trouble...not the case. He wanted to make sure i'd sent the money through paypal, and that it wasn't a scam. I told him I was afraid he'd be mad, but he said no, not at all-it was too generous. He was really appreciative and said he'd call back in about an hour, after he got paypal figured out...whew! that's a relief.

Bill just called back. I just got off the phone with him-said he had to go before he got teary eyed. Sure makes me feel good that he appreciated it so much, but still sad for his situation. Especially when he said it couldn't have come at a better time, just "out of the blue".

He said he lives on his gummint pension, similar to our social security. Was forced to get out of trucking when he turned 65, and nearly lost everything. A friend built him a computer and taught him how to use it, or he said he would've went crazy.

Anyway, he got his paypal account straight, now he just has to wait for the bank to open.

Wish we could have a big fundraiser for him.

Tom,

My dad once told me that he could not see how I put up with someone arguing with me all the time. He said that I must have been a stronger man than him for hanging in their......Well I have not been able to figure that out to this day but I know what I can take and how long. My fuse was longer than my dad's because he was General Patton tough when my brother and I were kids. Mom says to me even now that my dad should not have had any kids. I understand it now and she is right.......But I commend you for hanging in their.......As they say.....When the going gets tough...The tough get going.

mike

Tom,

My dad once told me that he could not see how I put up with someone arguing with me all the time. He said that I must have been a stronger man than him for hanging in their......Well I have not been able to figure that out to this day but I know what I can take and how long. My fuse was longer than my dad's because he was General Patton tough when my brother and I were kids. Mom says to me even now that my dad should not have had any kids. I understand it now and she is right.......But I commend you for hanging in their.......As they say.....When the going gets tough...The tough get going.

mike

Actually I was wrong, it's only 26,804. I'm gonna get going right now, over to the Chinese Buffet in Altavista :D

And it's not that bad really. Sometimes I tend to exaggerate.

It does take a lot to make me mad though-but when i'm mad, i'm really mad!

Don't worry buddy i'm up to 5,000 or so. Miss Becky was a fine lookin lady, from the way you talked it seems she was a fine lady to be with, and I'm sorry you lost her like that. I lost my dad at 16 in a tragic car accident and there's not a day that goes buy I don't think about him. Alot of his old friends know where i work so they stop buy to visit and tell me alot of old stories about his younger days......Anyway, thats a vey generous thing you done for Bill and hopefully I'll be able to send him a few bucks myself. Like the song "You find out who your friends are" You can really tell how people are when it comes to troubling times.....

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Don't worry buddy i'm up to 5,000 or so. Miss Becky was a fine lookin lady, from the way you talked it seems she was a fine lady to be with, and I'm sorry you lost her like that. I lost my dad at 16 in a tragic car accident and there's not a day that goes buy I don't think about him. Alot of his old friends know where i work so they stop buy to visit and tell me alot of old stories about his younger days......Anyway, thats a vey generous thing you done for Bill and hopefully I'll be able to send him a few bucks myself. Like the song "You find out who your friends are" You can really tell how people are when it comes to troubling times.....

Thank you Joe. After talking to him today I know he'll appreciate it...I don't think things will be getting better for him anytime soon either.

...and yes she was!

I just got to reading this post(late to the party again). This whole deal goes right in line with something in my life the last few years. The fellow that runs the UMTR(racing group) had prostrate cancer, and beat it last year. His wife got cancer last summer and lost to it a few months ago. It hit Dave(and all of us)pretty hard as she worked at each race and did alot to support Dave. With both of them sick, loss of work their funds were nill. There had been a fund set up at 5/3rd bank that was done by another racer to help out. My girlfriend and I have donated to it previously.

When I went to pick up my winnings Saturday(cash), I counted out $200 and stuck it in Dave's shirt pocket. He said, "Well, I'm too tired to argue" and graciously thanked me. I told him that back a month or so ago(just after his wifed passed) that I told myself I was going to come and win this race for HIM! and then give a portion of the winnings to HIM. He hugged me and got teary eyed and thanked me. I told him that some people need it more then I do. I consider myself to be blessed well enough to afford to give something back.

If I'm lucky enough to win again, I'll give again.

A quote from our forums:

"Thanks to all of the racers and pitcrew members for another great race and show.

A special thanks to Larry Kortkamp for dedicating his win to my wife Nona.

Larry, thank you for what you done for my family.

Director of race operations UMTR North"

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks Larry,you're a good man for helping others. I bet he wasn't expecting part of your winnings-that's the good part. I was afraid Bill might be offended, but it was the exact opposite.He greatly appreciated it and said it "couldn't have come at a better time"...gives you a good feeling,eh? (that's Canadian)

I know times are tight for everybody (that includes me!) now, but you never have to look far to find somebody worse off than you are.

I think i'll keep doing the pocket change can for my "Old Bill fund".