B Model Car Hauler

I recently did a post on the introduction forum about the B model that my racing partner and I are going to use to haul our car trailer. We're just getting started but I thought I'd start a tread so that I could post some progress pictures as we move along.

In this first picture we've just started to dismantle the truck. The Bulldog's name is Winston. He spends quite a bit of time at the shop, the Boxer is his girlfriend Ruby.

2008-12-04016cr.jpg

In this photo the box is coming off.

2008-12-09001cr.jpg

The frame is really clean, there's almost no rust. The truck was from Texas, up here in the rust belt trucks get rustier than this after just one winter.

2008-12-09009cr.jpg

We're going to shorten the wheelbase and lower the ride height a little. I really like the way they stamped MACK right into the housing.

2008-12-09011cr.jpg

We've got a really nice shop but unfortunately we only get to work on the B model when we get caught up on the other, working, trucks but we're hoping to make decent progress on this project. I'll keep adding photos to this thread as the job progresses.

Jim

is that a gas or diesel mack cant see the number im going to be putting a bed on my mack its a dove tail with ramps thats my car hauler nice truck though

It's a B-85 with a 707ci gas engine. We're going to re-power it to diesel but haven't made any firm decisions about what engine to use.

This truck would be great as a bed truck but we've already got an enclosed fifth wheel trailer so we're going to turn this into a short wheelbase tractor. It'll have rear fenders and a small box, it should look a little like an old tow truck. Here is a sketch I did a while ago that gives an idea of the look we're after.

Jim

B-61pickupweb.jpg

what are you going to do with the gas engine id like to have one that size

A local guy got most of the fire truck parts but so far we don't have any plans for the engine. As I said we're almost certainly going to replace it with a diesel.

We will be using the box and fenders but I'm not sure about the running boards.

Jim

There was a fellow on the old Mack board that made something just like you have in mind. He took the old tow bed and removed the booms but left the sweeping sides on it. Really neat unit.

http://groups.msn.com/bigmacktrucks/notund...erednomore.msnw

BTW....wish my ol dog was that clean underneath!! Wow!

I do the same with my truck,

Aug28_0002.jpg

I thought of putting a bed on the truck, but I want the ability to also pull a real trailer too.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

There was a fellow on the old Mack board that made something just like you have in mind. He took the old tow bed and removed the booms but left the sweeping sides on it. Really neat unit.

http://groups.msn.com/bigmacktrucks/notund...erednomore.msnw

BTW....wish my ol dog was that clean underneath!! Wow!

I do the same with my truck,

Aug28_0002.jpg

I thought of putting a bed on the truck, but I want the ability to also pull a real trailer too.

Thanks for the link Freightrain. I really like that truck, similar to what I have planned for mine.

Freightrain, Thanks for posting that link, that's pretty much the look we're after. I've always liked the way the old tow trucks looked. I was looking at your truck and trailer, the Mack looks just about perfect in front of a trailer like that.

00005267.jpg

c-2-6.jpg

We've been towing the trailer with a 3/4 ton pickup but the Mack is going to be much cooler.

2007-10-08034cropped.jpg

Ya, it's scaled just about right for the trailer. I get ALOT of comments about it, either on the CB or at the place I stop at.

Are you planning on air ride? I would, unless you plan on cutting the springs like I did.

My trailer is 3K lb on the pin, and with the springs cut down, it squats the rear about an 1" or so and rides really well. If I had left the springs stock, it would beat the trailer to death. The trailer is 14K lbs, with my 673 and 4.62 gears it will run along about 65 mph on the governor all day. Still slows down for big hills, but does the job. I have plans on stretching it about 36" so I can add a small bunk and then put air ride out back. Might switch it down to about 4.10 gears in the process.

Not sure what your springs ratings are, but something to look into.

Jul07_0002.jpg

I would consider adding a small bunk to yours, as the cab isn't prone to "comfort" and long rides(ask me how I know LOL! ). My girlfriend has a hard time sleeping sitting up, so a bunk will make the trips easier on both of us. Plus the added storage will help. Just a thought.

Another note, might have to really watch how you run your exhaust on the B model. Mine really spits running down the road and if I had a white trailer(like yours) it would look like a '60's trailer after any kind of trip(sooty on the front). Something to think about. Since my trailer is faded black, the soot isn't noticable.

BTW, really neat drag car! Real throw back to "Two lane blacktop".

My car:

scan0110-1.jpg

Larry

There was a fellow on the old Mack board that made something just like you have in mind.  He took the old tow bed and removed the booms but left the sweeping sides on it.  Really neat unit.http://groups.msn.com/bigmacktrucks/notund...erednomore.msnwBTW....wish my ol dog was that clean underneath!!  Wow!I do the same with my truck,Aug28_0002.jpgI thought of putting a bed on the truck, but I want the ability to also pull a real trailer too.
That IS a real trailer Larry. You've got every right to be proud of your outfit,that's a sharp looking unit! :thumb:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Freightrain, Thanks for the suggestions. I know what you mean about the cab being kinda small for a long trip. It's even worse for us because Winston the Bulldog comes to most of the races. I think we're going to tough it out and stick with the regular cab though. By the way we usually get to a race or two in Ohio every year, usually Thompson or Norwalk. Maybe we'll run into you at the track some day.

We've made a little bit of progress on the truck. The rear axle is out right now and we're working in getting the box cut down so that we can try it in place.

2008-12-12008cr.jpg

2008-12-12006.jpg

We also got a donor truck (bus really) :( It's a 96 International with a DT466 and an Allison automatic. The 466 is a pretty good little in line six cylinder but unfortunately it's not as cool or as powerful as any of the Mack engines we were considering. It was cheap though, I hope it works okay. It's got Hydraulic disk brakes all the way around so we might use the axles too.

2008-12-12001cr.jpg

I'm hoping to try the box in place tomorrow to get a better idea of how the truck will look.

Jim

We got the box cut down and we set it in place to get an idea of how it will look. Nothing's carved in stone yet but I think the wheelbase will be pretty close to what you see in the photos and the side of the box is about as high as it can be to allow for room to clear the trailer. We just rolled a single tire into place but there will of course be dual tires on the rear axle.

Jim

2008-12-13004cr.jpg

2008-12-13005cr.jpg

Looks great!!!

I run Thompson a couple times thru the summer for the stick shift races (www.UMTRNORTH.com). I've thought of getting to Gasser Reunion, but just haven't yet. Fun Ford Weekend isn't around anymore, but supposed Norwalk is going to run a Ford show to fill the gap on the same weekend as always.

Is your car a stick shift??

Nice shop!! Need to fill it in like mine LOL!!!! You've got WAYYY too much room to work on that truck. I usually go OUTSIDE to change my mind LOL!!!!

SDC10061.jpg

Keen eyes will recognize Rob's "new" jack sitting behind the truck. It's patiently awaiting his presence to carry it home to Illinios.

Larry

I'm gaining ground on my end. Truck is back together and hope to sport new paint towards middle of week. Still don't have A/C condensor, engine oil cooler, (backordered) and steering cooler, (same reason). Also need to get new headlamp capsules, (driver's side was busted, passenger side hard to see at night).

Gonna have to miss my bulldog on the hood for awhile. I didn't like the support on the original and need to re-engineer mounting.

Sure could use that jack for several things I've got going on. Gettin anxious. Blew the seals in my five ton unit so only have a bottle jack now.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Looks great!!!

I run Thompson a couple times thru the summer for the stick shift races (www.UMTRNORTH.com). I've thought of getting to Gasser Reunion, but just haven't yet. Fun Ford Weekend isn't around anymore, but supposed Norwalk is going to run a Ford show to fill the gap on the same weekend as always.

Is your car a stick shift??

Freightrain, I regret to say that the 55 Chevy has an automatic. (TH350)

We were at the Gasser Reunion last year, here's a picture. We hope to be there again this year.

Jim

GSR_1773.jpg

• 1 month later...

We haven't had much time to work on the Mack but we have made a little bit of progress. Today we installed some new taillights. We plan on adding more lights between the tailgate and bumper later but wanted to put some directly onto the fenders.

309036crweb.jpg

We used some bezels from some old flood lights that we had. They fit perfectly into some pieces of 5" exhaust pipe.

309030web.jpg

The rear fenders had some rust on the surfaces where they bolted to the box and running boards. We trimmed the mounting surface off and welded the fenders directly to the box.

309027web.jpg