Jay Leno's Garage - Jeff Dunham's AMC Gremlins

kscarbel2

This was run by a local AMC dealer in D modified production. 4 speed, 258 six with a dealer only Factory Go-Pak consisting of factory ported head with larger valves, solid lifter cam, tri y header, a pair of 390 cfm Holly 4 barrels and 4:11 Detroit-locker rear. Consistent  mid 13s on  10 inch slicks

http://gremlinc-mp_zps7906ae1a.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

57 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Had to laugh when the V8 died and they found out the updated ignition failed(likely a Pertronix?).  People give me grief when they find out my blown 390 still runs a stock, 1964 single point distributor.  Goes to 6K rpm without issue.  I've wanted to upgrade the ignition but have seen enough of those conversion fail that I figure just leave the points in it.  Oh, someday I upgrade it to something.

Local family of boys live/breathe AMC(don't ever call it "almost a chevy" in their presence).  Their gremlin does go in the 8's with a super built 401 sumthin or other and a dash of N2O.  Street car.  It can't weigh more then an empty can of tomato soup.  I know how flimsy those cars are.  

The '55 I'm running an " old fashioned" Mallory Dual Point with an equally "old" Mallory Mag-Spark coil pack. Machined new shaft bushings a few years ago from brass pipe from Home Depot because there are no replacements. Never any problems. My Mustang I'm running a re curved OEM SVT FORD Dura Spark with an AL9 MSD box only because I need the Vacuum retard. I have a spare box installed but haven't used it.

Saw a bunch of the Pertronix fail because the installer's leave in the resistor wire in the primary ignition circuit, under extended use the module fails. Those that read the installation instructions generally do not have the failures.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hmmm, interesting Paul.  Never had one or installed one before so I'm out in left field on that.  Just know what I have heard, but I know how that goes.  I wonder why the module fails with a reduced input voltage?  You would think it would be the other way around?

I've wanted to get a boost retard MSD for my blower car, but just don't want to spend the money!  For what little driving I do with it anymore and the fact I don't really beat on it as I don't want to find out what those 1968 cast pistons are made of!

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

i

4 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Hmmm, interesting Paul.  Never had one or installed one before so I'm out in left field on that.  Just know what I have heard, but I know how that goes.  I wonder why the module fails with a reduced input voltage?  You would think it would be the other way around?

I've wanted to get a boost retard MSD for my blower car, but just don't want to spend the money!  For what little driving I do with it anymore and the fact I don't really beat on it as I don't want to find out what those 1968 cast pistons are made of!

I was told with reduced voltage it tries to draw the extra power from different areas of the module,  which over loads some electronic gizzmos.  Personally I don't even like the MSD units.

The 1984 Dura-Sprark  with the Ford motorsport module is about as far as I want to go with the ignition. Bad enough the turbo waste gate limits, injection spray and duration, fuel pressure and volume and nox  stages are all computer controlled.

P.T.CHESHIRE

I run a Unilite module(so many hate those too) in the race car with 6AL.  When I dynoed this last motor(first time ever for me) we had ignition issues and the shop was jabbing me about that Unilite module so I bought a new one and it still messed up.  They gave me more grief.  OH, come to find out it was the dyno wiring!!!  Seems a weatherpack plug was "loose" and causing all the problems.   Never got any reprieve for the unilite though.

Everything else has points in it! LOL!!  

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 6/30/2016 at 1:17 PM, Freightrain said:

Had to laugh when the V8 died and they found out the updated ignition failed(likely a Pertronix?).  People give me grief when they find out my blown 390 still runs a stock, 1964 single point distributor.  Goes to 6K rpm without issue.  I've wanted to upgrade the ignition but have seen enough of those conversion fail that I figure just leave the points in it.  Oh, someday I upgrade it to something.

Local family of boys live/breathe AMC(don't ever call it "almost a chevy" in their presence).  Their gremlin does go in the 8's with a super built 401 sumthin or other and a dash of N2O.  Street car.  It can't weigh more then an empty can of tomato soup.  I know how flimsy those cars are.  

"Empty can of tomato soup"  that's pretty funny.  But the flimsy construction of some light-weight cars is a problem in and of itself.  Back in the day my piece-of-junk 1958 Austin Healy with a FoMoCo 289 (ran B modified) was constantly falling apart.  One time the slicks hooked up suddenly and the jolt ripped the rear friction shocks right out of the frame.  Didn't need the shocks but left two big holes in the frame where they were mounted.  I finally gave up on keeping the POS together and moved on to Pontiacs.

• Like 2

In my opinion AMC made some good products, they definitely had some wacky/goofy designs, but alot of cool stuff as well.  Not to go off topic, but some here may be interested.  I'm currently on the home stretch with getting my Amx drag car together.  The motor is 431" and made 730 hp and 565 ft lbs, backed by a Jerico DR-4 and a Dana 60 rear.  I also have a SC/rambler, but it is needs a full restoration, and I need to take a break from AMCs for awhile.  I need to finish the AMX up so I can get to working in the old IH I recently purchased.  Andy

Edited by hurstscrambler
  • Like 2

On 7/2/2016 at 0:39 PM, grayhair said:

"Empty can of tomato soup"  that's pretty funny.  But the flimsy construction of some light-weight cars is a problem in and of itself.  Back in the day my piece-of-junk 1958 Austin Healy with a FoMoCo 289 (ran B modified) was constantly falling apart.  One time the slicks hooked up suddenly and the jolt ripped the rear friction shocks right out of the frame.  Didn't need the shocks but left two big holes in the frame where they were mounted.  I finally gave up on keeping the POS together and moved on to Pontiacs.

My arch enemy when I had my 340 Dart GTS was a 390 4 speed Machine.Always ended up winning or losing by inches.   Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE