•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Noob With First Mack Vision Need Help Understanding

• Please log in to reply
    25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slopoke

slopoke

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 23 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:Vision
    • Year:2003

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:45 PM

I JUST PURCHASED A USED 2003 VISION THAT WAS A SLEEPER AND CONVERTED TO DAYCAB AND A 3600 GALLON SEPTIC TANK SYSTEM MOUNTED. ITS A VERY NICE RECONDITIONED 400,000 MILE TRUCK. MY PROBLEM IS THIS IS THE FIRST MACK I HAVE OWNED AND THERE IS A RED O WITH A X THROUGH IT THAT COMES ON AND BUZZES THERE IS A SWITCH ON THE DASH WITH THE SAME DESIGN ON IT. I JUST PICKED IT UP THIS MORNING IN MIAMI AND IT CAME ON 5 TIMES ON THE 8 HOUR TRIP HOME SOMETIMES FOR A MINUTE AND ONE TIME FOR 20 MIN. ALL FLUIDS ARE FINE AND ALL GAUGES ARE NORMAL BUT WITHOUT A MANUAL I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ALL THE THINGS ARE FOR. I ALSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE GEARS GRINDING ESPECIALLY WHEN DOWN SHIFTING IS THIS NORMAL? CLUTCH IS FINE. sORRY IF I RAMBLED ON BUT I HAVE ONLY OWNED FORD F750S AND NEVER HAD A TRUCK LIKE THIS. THANKS

#2 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,779 posts
    • Model:B61
    • Year:1961

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:23 PM

I ALSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE GEARS GRINDING ESPECIALLY WHEN DOWN SHIFTING IS THIS NORMAL?

Practice makes perfect. The gear stepping is different from Eaton manuals.
    -Thad
    What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

#3 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:43 PM

I JUST PURCHASED A USED 2003 VISION THAT WAS A SLEEPER AND CONVERTED TO DAYCAB AND A 3600 GALLON SEPTIC TANK SYSTEM MOUNTED. ITS A VERY NICE RECONDITIONED 400,000 MILE TRUCK. MY PROBLEM IS THIS IS THE FIRST MACK I HAVE OWNED AND THERE IS A RED O WITH A X THROUGH IT THAT COMES ON AND BUZZES THERE IS A SWITCH ON THE DASH WITH THE SAME DESIGN ON IT. I JUST PICKED IT UP THIS MORNING IN MIAMI AND IT CAME ON 5 TIMES ON THE 8 HOUR TRIP HOME SOMETIMES FOR A MINUTE AND ONE TIME FOR 20 MIN. ALL FLUIDS ARE FINE AND ALL GAUGES ARE NORMAL BUT WITHOUT A MANUAL I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ALL THE THINGS ARE FOR. I ALSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE GEARS GRINDING ESPECIALLY WHEN DOWN SHIFTING IS THIS NORMAL? CLUTCH IS FINE. sORRY IF I RAMBLED ON BUT I HAVE ONLY OWNED FORD F750S AND NEVER HAD A TRUCK LIKE THIS. THANKS

The red "O" with the "X" through the middle is the low air annunciator, and the buzzer accompanies it!! Either you have a problem with an air leak, or the compressor is bad, or a bad switch. If the air is in fact low while driving, the brakes with start to apply at around 40 psi or so. You should have a pressure gauge in the dash, how was it reading? Did you notice the air pressure on either the red, or green needle showing low? You should not be able to get the spring brakes to release until at least 60 psi on the gauges.

Rob

You are correct as the red annunciator lamp is in fact a circle with three arrows pointing to it, my apologies. I haven't been around this newer stuff much and I did in fact think it had an X through the circle. Oh well, they say the mind is the second thing to go.....

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#4 OFFLINE   lucerne tractor

lucerne tractor

Lucerne Tractor Works

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 500 posts
    • Model:Vision CXN613
    • Year:2005

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

I have a 20 speed two stick. I find that every gear has a mind of it's own and only wants to be shifted at it's own certian point. For instance, taking off with no load in high 1 which would be 4th going to hi-2 you double clutch and wait a bit then shift about the same for hi-3, then you double clutch and wait a little longer for hi-4, for hi-5 you double clutch, tap the throttle and shift quick. Down shifting 5 to 4 you just tap the throttle and shift, 4 to 3 let it lug to 900 rev it to the max and shift, 3 to 2 rev a little at 1200 and shift rev a little more from 2 to 1 and thats only 5 gears. If you find it grinding, don't force it, let out the clutch, hold the shifter with just a little pressure on the gear you want and slowly rev the throttle, watch the tac, it will drop right in at the right rpm, if it doesn't your not on the right gear. You always will miss a gear when another truck is next to you, or pulling into a pit or truck stop. Shift in the dark on back roads for a while!!!

#5 OFFLINE   slopoke

slopoke

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 23 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:11 AM

The red "O" with the "X" through the middle is the low air annunciator, and the buzzer accompanies it!! Either you have a problem with an air leak, or the compressor is bad, or a bad switch. If the air is in fact low while driving, the brakes with start to apply at around 40 psi or so. You should have a pressure gauge in the dash, how was it reading? Did you notice the air pressure on either the red, or green needle showing low? You should not be able to get the spring brakes to release until at least 60 psi on the gauges.

Rob

I was thinking it was pressure but both needles were between 120 and 140 psi everytime. is the switch with the same symbol just a bypass button? I am trying to locate a manual for the truck. I appreciate the help Im going out now to check it out there might be a faulty sensor somewhere.

#6 OFFLINE   HK Trucking

HK Trucking

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

Here's a scan of the dashboard symbol explanation from a CL manual, this may help.

Posted Image

As far as the shifting difficulties, every truck has it's own personality and you have to get comfortable with it.

The bottom line is that the engine RPM's must match the road speed for the gear you're shifting into.
    "If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

#7 OFFLINE   Barry

Barry

Are you talkin' to me?

• Admin
    • 2,401 posts
    Contributor

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:33 AM

Circle with a red X sounds like engine shutdown. There are a number of things that can cause that light to come on...most likely a faulty sensor.

Posted Image
    Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

#8 OFFLINE   Terry T

Terry T

Terry T

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 438 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:13 PM

"The red "O" with the "X" through the middle is the low air annunciator, and the buzzer accompanies it!!"

Actually the low air indicator is a small circle with 3 arrows pointing at it. The "O" with an "X" is the shut
    down indicator hence the button with the same symbol which reads "shut down override".

#9 OFFLINE   slopoke

slopoke

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 23 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

Actually the low air indicator is a small circle with 3 arrows pointing at it. The "O" with an "X" is the shut
    down indicator hence the button with the same symbol which reads "shut down override".

the button doese not read anything or I would have figured that part out. The low air light actually says LOW AIR but I did find it a little low on water when I checked it this morning. and it has not gone off again and thanks to all of you for your help. I actually figured out the shifting and although I have not perfected it I am doing better. I will list a pic of it when I figure that out too. Thanks again Will

#10 OFFLINE   slopoke

slopoke

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 23 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:13 PM

Attached File  DSCF0074.JPG   319.86KB   17 downloadsAttached File  DSCF0075.JPG   327.39KB   10 downloadsAttached File  DSCF0076.JPG   325.77KB   6 downloadsHere are the pics of my 2003 Mack vision. It was a sleeper but converted to a day cab and refurbished. It has a 3600 gallon tank for septic pumping. I have it all figured out and actually did 2 service calls this afternoon. Thanks again for all the info.

#11 OFFLINE   Barry

Barry

Are you talkin' to me?

• Admin
    • 2,401 posts
    Contributor

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

Nice truck! I love those stripes!

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   HK Trucking

HK Trucking

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:26 PM

Looks good!

A septic pumper co. up here has the following message lettered on the front of their trucks: "USED FOOD HAULER", and on the back of the tank it says:"THIS JOB SUCKS"

Just thought I'd mention that.

#13 OFFLINE   lucerne tractor

lucerne tractor

Lucerne Tractor Works

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 500 posts
    • Model:Vision CXN613
    • Year:2005

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

What a beautiful truck. Partial to white, those stripes are a knock out. Glad you got it figured out, enjoy.
    We have a pumper up here that has (we take alot of #@*$ from our customers) another waste management company says (satisfaction guaranteed or twice your trash back)

#14 OFFLINE   mackboy

mackboy

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 223 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:f 700 and rw613
    • Year:1980 and 1987

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:04 AM

:SMOKIE-LFT: :mack1: nice truck you have there can you put some lighter fotos on the forum thanks :SMOKIE-RT: :mack1: :bulldog1: :thumb:

#15 OFFLINE   Terry T

Terry T

Terry T

• 438 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:02 PM

Slopoke: Very nice looking CX. One of the septic pumpers up this way claims "No. 1 in the No. 2 business"

Mackboy: If you see the images dark, I would bet your monitor is failing, We went through that on our old computer. It made viewing most pics very difficult, unless they were taken in a very bright room or in very bright sunlight.

T.

#16 OFFLINE   b61mack

b61mack

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 684 posts
    • Model:B61T B61LT R685ST
    • Year:1963 1958 1972 the Bs are sleepercabs

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:22 PM

Slopoke: Very nice looking CX. One of the septic pumpers up this way claims "No. 1 in the No. 2 business"

Mackboy: If you see the images dark, I would bet your monitor is failing, We went through that on our old computer. It made viewing most pics very difficult.

T.

I think he is talking about the shadetrees, good looking truck, but in the sunlight i bet it would realiy shine

#17 OFFLINE   slopoke

slopoke

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 23 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback I will get better pics tomorrow I live in the woods so the shade doese make a difference. I was going to take some today but my wife told me she was going to pack my bags if I touched the truck at all today so I had to finish the roof on her porch. As far as the sayings Ours was at one time "Your Sh%@ is our bread and butter" and it always "SMELLS LIKE MONEY" :blink: Thanks Will
    Hey what about "Yesterdays Meals on Wheels" :lol:

#18 OFFLINE   Barry

Barry

Are you talkin' to me?

• Admin
    • 2,401 posts
    Contributor

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

Best one I saw was a septic tank truck that said, "Sh!t Happens!" on the bug shield!

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   HK Trucking

HK Trucking

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,557 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

[quote]....... but my wife told me she was going to pack my bags if I touched the truck at all today .......[quote]

Did you tell her you're gonna miss her??????????????

:lol:

#20 OFFLINE   slopoke

slopoke

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 23 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:40 PM

Attached File  DSCF0049.JPG   338.48KB   13 downloadsWell the whole reason I bought the Mack was Three weeks ago I was loaded comming off a Island doing about 40 in my 2001 ford f-750 with a 2500 gallon tank when a guy in a 97 ford explorer fell asleep at the wheel and hit me head on and I rolled the truck. They put us both in the same ambulance and I remember the EMT telling the guy he got the Sh?! knocked out of him. and the local news headline was"Overturned truck causes stink in the lowcountry" Nothing spilled so that was good. I like the :mack1: alot better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users