Howdy From Southern Illinois

Double L

They had to put a compressor on it but Jimmy couldn't get the fan to come on with the AC like it's supposed to, so he called Peterbilt in Richmond and told them i'd be stopping by. I unloaded in Petersburg first, then ran up to Richmond to the Peterbilt place. Got there at 1 o'clock, but they had so many Pete's in the shop they said it would be 5 or 6 o'clock before they could even look at it, so I told them i'd run the fan on manual, and left.

It is good that you weren't stranded waiting "your turn" for repairs. Been hot and of course that is when a/c failures occur.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...to appeal to the masses... reminds me of the Jeep CJ's. They were a very capable off-road vehicle, but they had a tendency to tip over easily when cornering at high speed, especially with bigger tires. High speed cornering was not their intended purpose, nor high speed travel at all, but i've been passed on the interstate many times by Jeeps, running 70+ with kids hanging out of them everywhere. So they changed everything to make them safer on the highway, and in the process took away a lot of the off road ability.

The CJ's are another excellent case in point. We fixed many of those from rollovers in the late 70's to early 80's in their heyday with the younger set, (myself included). If you go back to the CJ2, and CJ3 days with the four cylinder "Whirlwind" powerplants, with spicer 30 running gears, they were virtually indestructable. Difficult to run modern hiway speeds they were never designed for anyways. I've never owned one myself, (too small) but have had plenty of mud boggers of nearly every type. Never had anything that particularly got me upset when a tree got bashed except I had one less thing to hug......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

just checkin' in- truck's in the shop. AC compressor 'sploded. Don't mind cold, but I cain't take the heat!..maybe I am a-well, never mind, we'll just let it go.

Wuss :blah:

The AC in my :mack1: hasn't worked since I bought the thing in May '08....I have fun whenever I hear someone griping about THEIR boss...I tell 'em "just be glad you aren't working for the cheap bastard I do...he made me drive a truck all last summer with no AC...refused to fix it for me...told me to roll the windows down if I was rolling and I'd get all the air I needed, and if I was stopped waiting somewhere to get my butt out of the truck and sit under a shade tree....that he couldn't afford for me to idle away that $5/gallon liquid gold and having AC in the truck would just encourage unnecessary idle time..."

They usually tell me I should find someone else to drive for.... :blush:

See now, ya'll we will be argu'n over pickups too. I'm a diehard FORD guy. Got a full garage of'em.

I got a '47 8N, an '86 Ranger, a '92 Ranger, and a '96 F250. :thumb: Even the first semi I looked at to buy was a '97 LT9000, but it needed WAY too much work (the worst kind, too...electrical...nothing with a dash switch worked) so I kept looking.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I kept looking.

Yes but in the end the light from above shown through brightly, bringing guidance with the correct decision.

Divine intervention?

Rob

Yes but in the end the light from above shown through brightly, bringing guidance with the correct decision.

Divine intervention?

Rob

I've always liked Mack trucks...but I'm also a die hard Ford man too. If I couldn't have a Mack, an old Ford would be my next choice. the one I looked at had a 475 Cat w/jake 13 speed trans, and 3.55 rears w/ 11R24.5 rubber.

jake, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, windshield wipers, etc...none of that worked. Drove nice...engine had plenty of power and pulled real well on the test drive....but I would have had to figure out why nothing with a dash switch worked.

Only lights that DID work were the brake lights...once they were put back on the truck. Only had 400K miles...missing an interior door panel....dent on a fuel tank...and some holes in the rear of the cab where it looked like something was mounted & then ripped off again...

The payments would have been the same as I'm paying now///but it would have been paid off in half the time.

l_a3fb59b0b3b0abafac44853edd80270a.jpg

l_ab4b21b625438fff28c815ca427dfd3f.jpg

l_686daaee8ec68cc5c0a457147a599fe6.jpg

l_dbcbe26442dffca84b0a603270ba2ffa.jpg

As soon as my Mack is paid off, I may be looking for another one of these to pick up cheap as more of a project truck to build on while I keep working the Mack...

...or not.

Never know. ;)

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Oh yeah...I keep forgetting to mention....South Roxana, IL is NOT "Southern Illinois". Heck, it's NORTH of St. Louis! If I drive north for 2 hours, I'm STILL not far enough north to reach South Roxana. :rolleyes:

North of I64 is Central Illinois. There. I said it. :tease:

I always like the LTL9000 series of trucks. One of the best looking ones out there at that timeframe. I repainted one Dodge Viper Red in April of 97 and it really looked sharp. Had all new aluminum wheels, new front chrome bumper with five PerLux driving lamps, new OEM door shells, (they were terrible about rust), windshield and seals all around, dual stacks that were new also. This one really stood out. Only bad thing is the owner wanted the tanks and steps to be body color and that did not do the truck justice at all. It was an 87 model and still used the aluminum hood fasteners instead of the later model rubber ones as in your photo.

I'll have to see if I can locate the box of photos they would be in sometime.

Rob

Oh yeah...I keep forgetting to mention....South Roxana, IL is NOT "Southern Illinois". Heck, it's NORTH of St. Louis! If I drive north for 2 hours, I'm STILL not far enough north to reach South Roxana. :rolleyes:

North of I64 is Central Illinois. There. I said it. :tease:

Hmmm oh hell I won't argue with ya driver!

Hmmm oh hell I won't argue with ya driver!

Don't worry...I no longer give a FF what the Chicago Tribune prints...grandma sent me a clipping about the armadillos being seen in "Franklin County, deep in Southern Illinois." I called my grandma to give her a hard time about it too...and told her Franklin County wasn't "DEEP" in Southern Illinois...that it was barely far enough South to be considered Southern Illinois....sort of a northern border county. It's still over an hours drive north from my house.

I've often wondered how many cities there are that claim to be the "Capitol of Southern Illinois" too...I know Belleville and Carbondale both make the claim. Although still South of 64, Belleville is too far north. Carbondale is a danged college town...during the school year, you have more people from Chicago than anywhere else living there, so how can that be the capitol? Heck, Carbondale ain't even the county seat...that's over in Murphysboro.

I don't know why I get riled up about stoopid crap like that....and I understand why anyone would want to try to claim Southern Illinois as their home....basically anywhere other than Chicago really isn't all that bad....the farther away both geographically and politically, the better.

Don't worry...I no longer give a FF what the Chicago Tribune prints...grandma sent me a clipping about the armadillos being seen in "Franklin County, deep in Southern Illinois." I called my grandma to give her a hard time about it too...and told her Franklin County wasn't "DEEP" in Southern Illinois...that it was barely far enough South to be considered Southern Illinois....sort of a northern border county. It's still over an hours drive north from my house.

I've often wondered how many cities there are that claim to be the "Capitol of Southern Illinois" too...I know Belleville and Carbondale both make the claim. Although still South of 64, Belleville is too far north. Carbondale is a danged college town...during the school year, you have more people from Chicago than anywhere else living there, so how can that be the capitol? Heck, Carbondale ain't even the county seat...that's over in Murphysboro.

I don't know why I get riled up about stoopid crap like that....and I understand why anyone would want to try to claim Southern Illinois as their home....basically anywhere other than Chicago really isn't all that bad....the farther away both geographically and politically, the better.

Amen brother amen!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For an update, well I'm not getting married and me and the gf broke up...The best thing to ever happen! Only thing I plan to marry now is a truck! :thumb::mack1: Oh yeah I just started college a week ago going for a management degree and going for a degree in management is my true calling because it's a piece of cake and I love doing business homework!

For an update, well I'm not getting married and me and the gf broke up...The best thing to ever happen! Only thing I plan to marry now is a truck! :thumb::mack1: Oh yeah I just started college a week ago going for a management degree and going for a degree in management is my true calling because it's a piece of cake and I love doing business homework!

Hi Double L,ain't heard from you for a long time. Sorry about the gf not working out,but glad you're doing well in your other endeavors.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

damn...broke up a month before the wedding? Hopefully you hadn't spent too much non-refundable money on the shindig that ain't gonna happen.

Hopefully it wasn't anything like this... :wacko:

My fiance is SUPPOSED to be moving up here...just as soon as she gets her job transferred up here....which she hasn't been very pro-active about pursuing. She finished school in June...and I've been waiting ever since. She wants a spring wedding, and I've teased her that she probably won't even be up here by then :lol:...of course I thought it was funnier than SHE did :pat:

I give her a hard time...lets her know I care B)

Good luck on the whole college thing...probably better these days than the trucking thing anyway. Between the crappy rates and the increased police presence (gotta make up for the $11 billion deficit somehow)...just ain't as much fun out here these days. :(

damn...broke up a month before the wedding? Hopefully you hadn't spent too much non-refundable money on the shindig that ain't gonna happen.

Hopefully it wasn't anything like this... :wacko:

My fiance is SUPPOSED to be moving up here...just as soon as she gets her job transferred up here....which she hasn't been very pro-active about pursuing. She finished school in June...and I've been waiting ever since. She wants a spring wedding, and I've teased her that she probably won't even be up here by then :lol:...of course I thought it was funnier than SHE did :pat:

I give her a hard time...lets her know I care B)

Good luck on the whole college thing...probably better these days than the trucking thing anyway. Between the crappy rates and the increased police presence (gotta make up for the $11 billion deficit somehow)...just ain't as much fun out here these days. :(

We canceled the wedding a long time ago. I didn't spend any money, her parents were paying for it. I know what you mean how trucking isn't what it use to be but if your gonna make it in this world of trucking you got to diversify and be able to haul whatever comes your way. I Riechmann Transport is running dry vans now along with their flatbeds. I appreciate the luck on the college and it's gonna be a breeze. But I can to the realization there is no more middle class either your poor or your rich!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry, I'm right near (or pert-near as you real downstaters say) the intersection of I-80 and I-39 and we get referred to as being "down state".

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg