Maxidyne Dual Stick Questions..

I've not been in the trucking industry long. I recently graduated Class A cdl school and have been looking since my graduation date for a job hauling coal. Well I've found a job and went on location today to check out the route and load out, and dump. I then went to look at the truck I'd be driving and it was an older mack 10 wheeler (not sure what model I've looked online and can't find one exactly like it) and have just noticed I've got 2 sticks!!!!!! Being a novice I instantly ran home and to the net where my answer should have been waiting on me. ERNNTTTTT wrong answer. Not seen anything "exact;y" like the info I need. SO one of you MACkers out in the forum tell me what shifter does what and what's the pattern? I know it's a 5 speed MAxiDyne and that's all I know. I'll be waiting for your response..

Edited by BlackSmokeRolling

Hay you gotta start somewhere go for it,the stick on the left is for the main box gears 1 through 5,the stick on the right is for low hole,direct, and reverse.

Sheww yeah I know. I was just praying that wouldn't be the type of old mack I'd have to drive but it is. Thanks for the info. SO just say like to pull out I'd put the 2nd stick in direct and then just shift the gears I through 5(if it was flat land not a hole)? Or do I use the 2nd stick for a splitter?

if your in a hole then you put the second stick into Lo then when your on level ground you hift the second stick from Lo to direct then you shift on the main 1-2-3-4-5

Ok so I get it. In the flat ground my right stick will stay in direct. Which is downward. Then I shift my gears normally. When I'm pulling a grade which I will be with switchbacks and mud and all I'll put the old dog in lo and shift them. There's no splitting involved...

the stick on the Right (aux) is basicly just used when your stoped on a steep grade or in some real thick mud and need a low gear to get started out. some people will use low with 1-2-3 on the main then shift into Direct.

If your pulling a hill just stay in Direct. If you stop on that hill. put the aux into LOW and then 1st on the main untill the ground levels out and you can make the shift back to direct.

and in case you did not know you also have 5 reverse gears

the stick on the Right (aux) is basicly just used when your stoped on a steep grade or in some real thick mud and need a low gear to get started out. some people will use low with 1-2-3 on the main then shift into Direct.

If your pulling a hill just stay in Direct. If you stop on that hill. put the aux into LOW and then 1st on the main untill the ground levels out and you can make the shift back to direct.

and in case you did not know you also have 5 reverse gears

Ok I'm getting some good info here. and if I'm guessing right to dump I'd need my right stick in N and my main in 123 or something...SO where's the PTO located ? ANd gate trip?

Ok I'm getting some good info here. and if I'm guessing right to dump I'd need my right stick in N and my main in 123 or something...SO where's the PTO located ? ANd gate trip?

It all depends on how the truck is set up,it might have a leaver on the dump body right outside the driver door for the gate,if not than look for an air switch in the cab somewhere,as for the pto it also depends on how the truck is set up,look for a pto switch or leaver on the dash or in between the seats,once engaged see if the body goes up in neutral if not use third or fourth gear with the aux shifter in neutral,When is your first day for work,get there an hour early and go over the truck and familiarize. yourself with it. Good luck

that trans could have had 2 diffrent PTOs.

the Mack PTO was installed thru one of the 3 countershafts. this allowd the main to be in N and the box still would go up with the aux in gear. The pump runs off the engine RPM

the other style PTO was side mounted and IIRC you could use 1-5 main gears to control the PTO speed.

the gate could be air operated or manual and the swith is normaly close to the PTO switch/

those 6 speeds are considered outdated by alot of new drivers that think every truck needs an 18 speed. The nice thing with the 6 speed is you wont be shifting gears all day between stop lights. IMO the maxidyne is one of the best engines for offroad work. you get a wide RPM range for each gear and they love to lug thru the mud.

that trans could have had 2 diffrent PTOs.

the Mack PTO was installed thru one of the 3 countershafts. this allowd the main to be in N and the box still would go up with the aux in gear. The pump runs off the engine RPM

the other style PTO was side mounted and IIRC you could use 1-5 main gears to control the PTO speed.

the gate could be air operated or manual and the swith is normaly close to the PTO switch/

those 6 speeds are considered outdated by alot of new drivers that think every truck needs an 18 speed. The nice thing with the 6 speed is you wont be shifting gears all day between stop lights. IMO the maxidyne is one of the best engines for offroad work. you get a wide RPM range for each gear and they love to lug thru the mud.

Terrific info here guys. I went down today to familiarize myself with the truck. PTO and gate trip are in between the seats the shifting won't be too bad since it is a 5 speed so...I won't be shifting alot...

I've not been in the trucking industry long. I recently graduated Class A cdl school and have been looking since my graduation date for a job hauling coal. Well I've found a job and went on location today to check out the route and load out, and dump. I then went to look at the truck I'd be driving and it was an older mack 10 wheeler (not sure what model I've looked online and can't find one exactly like it) and have just noticed I've got 2 sticks!!!!!! Being a novice I instantly ran home and to the net where my answer should have been waiting on me. ERNNTTTTT wrong answer. Not seen anything "exact;y" like the info I need. SO one of you MACkers out in the forum tell me what shifter does what and what's the pattern? I know it's a 5 speed MAxiDyne and that's all I know. I'll be waiting for your response..

where are you from, if anywhere? I travel around West Virginia, Ohio, and Pa. a lot. :Mixer1:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Ok so I get it. In the flat ground my right stick will stay in direct. Which is downward. Then I shift my gears normally. When I'm pulling a grade which I will be with switchbacks and mud and all I'll put the old dog in lo and shift them. There's no splitting involved...

If its a 6spd you'll only use Lo in first gear, then shift to Hi go thru 1 to 5. When you select rev, you have 5 reverse ratios.

At least we can be sure you're not this guy......

Insults are welcomed. But I'll almost guarantee you one thing. Not many other rookie drivers got loaded down with a gross weight of 95660 and came off a straight up and down hill in 2nd LO. BTW on the way up I got stopped MID climb with a dumbass that didn't yell he was loaded on the way down....What a way to get broke in on your first day...

I came to the conclusion today that there's nothing like seat time to figure out how to drive the beast. When I was loaded I put it in low range if I was in a bit of a bine and I just put it in high on the highway. Worked out fine. Got stopped mid hill with a loaded truck coming down and pulled right out. Grossed over 96000 lbs today at the scales. I kept the jake off when I was going to get loaded since the road was wet then I turned it back on once i got loaded came down the hill in LO2nd.

I came to the conclusion today that there's nothing like seat time to figure out how to drive the beast. When I was loaded I put it in low range if I was in a bit of a bine and I just put it in high on the highway. Worked out fine. Got stopped mid hill with a loaded truck coming down and pulled right out. Grossed over 96000 lbs today at the scales. I kept the jake off when I was going to get loaded since the road was wet then I turned it back on once i got loaded came down the hill in LO2nd.

I got in the truck barely got it pulled out and in a few hours I was floating them cogs like a PRO!! Granted I didn't dump like a PRO I did get it dumped though but forgot how to lock the air tailgate. :P

Edited by BlackSmokeRolling

Any other truck but a Mack and this guy is looking at a broken axle, twisted driveshaft, split bellhousing or destroyed rear end carrier. Wouldn't want this guy driving a wheel barrow let alone a loaded triaxle dump

Any other truck but a Mack and this guy is looking at a broken axle, twisted driveshaft, split bellhousing or destroyed rear end carrier. Wouldn't want this guy driving a wheel barrow let alone a loaded triaxle dump

The only way for him to learn is to get in there and do it,sounds like he has the basic understanding of how to drive but just need some hands on experience,I started the same way my dad told me to take the 10 wheeler and go to the pit a bring back a load of sand,so that's what I did,thirty fife years later I'm still driving dumps,but now I own my own :)

USMC Jimbo said:

We all had to learn at one time or another.

I don't know of anyone that was born with "experience".

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Are you insulting that crazy driver or me? I'm kinda confused...