Muffler Location?

post-84-1239392407_thumb.jpg

Hey y'all,

Thanks for the compliments, I don't post a lot but I do appreciate the support.

I have to custom make all of the exhaust from the turbo back because I moved the engine back 2 inches and am using a different manifold to mount the turbo, therefore no store bought stuff will work.

I have a question about muffler location. I mocked up the exhaust this morning and in my infinite wisdom I thought it would be nice to tuck the exhaust and muffler a little tighter to the cab. I'm quite sure that originally the exhaust needs to be out far enough to help clear a trailer. Is this right? But it also seems too far for a truck that may never have a trailer behind it. Other than burning the paint (it's not that close) are there any objections that I might be unaware of? Does it look weird? Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks again,

Jim Thelen

Assembly dept. mgr.

PAI Industries

wow, it actually looks too perfect to be real...drive out the door when it's not quite all the way open, that'll take care of that problem...is that 5th. wheel huge, or is that a miniature truck...or camera angle?

No, but seriously it looks great, like you positioned it using satellite technology! :Mixer1:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Looks great.

There has been various mounting locations I've seen in the past depending on the owner.

Tom, that looks like a late model fifth wheel on there(new actually). The old Fontaines didn't have grease grooves in it, or square in shape. I think the camera angle has alot to due with the "size" in the picture.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I think you will be ok, It look very nice. I have found that if you are using the original non turbo engines with a muffler that you want to mount the muffler as far from the cab as posible. It will make some kind of low "droan" noise that will drive you nuts. It has something to do with that reverberation from the engine hitting the baffles in the muffler. The turbo eleminated this noise. Once again LOOKS GREAT!!!

Morgan

a.k.a. Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Looks like a winner to me. Like you said also I would be concerned about the distance from the cab to keep the heat from burning. It's difficult to see it from only one angle that you have presented us. And I guess you have allowed for the heat shield also?If you can post more picture angles.

Thanks for posting!

mike

Fred is right. If no turbo, you need to keep that muffler away from the cab. Mine droned horrible, til I put a muffler under the cab.

Herb is right too! Don't really need a muffler with a turbo motor.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks again guys,

I appreciate the feedback, some of these little details concern me 'cause I don't know the trucks like y'all do. I'm sure it would sound better without a muffler, but, I think the looks would be better with one (I'm working on the shield at the moment), plus we won't be driving it too much. And Tom, Larry's right, the fifth wheel is a new Fontaine SLTPL 6000. The fifth that was on the truck originally was in real rough shape (as was the whole truck) with a super cobbled up mounting arrangement and I thought it would look better again with a later deal on it (actually a little smaller). You'll see in my gallery this Fontaine during the week I spent on it to make it fit and look good.

As far as PAI making any B-Model stuff, no. But, I have used many, many parts off the shelf for this truck including all of the air components, valves, compressor, and brakes, spring brake chambers front brake chambers and slack adjusters. I used our sleeves, pistons, rods, camshaft, and all of the bolt on accessories, w/pump, oil cooler, alternator, and probably much more stuff.

HOWEVER!!! I had to modify, fabricate or otherwise almost all of this stuff because most of these pieces are for R models and later and would not just bolt on or in.

Thanks again and I'll keep postin'

Jim