Tu-flo 501 Compressors

Mike

When phaseing in the air compressor to the engine, is their a geared tooth that both comp. & engine have to line-up in-order to be phased in ? Or does the comp. piston have to be at TDC or something same as timing an car engine ? The books I have do not go into detail enough for me to know. Any help is appreciated.

Thank You!

mike :mack1:

When I put the compressor (back) on my truck I just had to line up the shaft on the compressor to the one on the motor and bolt on. What an effin bugger that was putting it back on.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Yea, and I bet you and I both need a floor jack to keep it up level with the engine. I'm juggleing with my timing with having a new building for this truck and my other toy's, so I have not taken this out of the truck yet. Trying to get my ducks in a row and get some ideas to what to expect. Each manual that I have on the compressor is just alike, not giving much info.

Thanks for your reply!!!

mike

Yea, and I bet you and I both need a floor jack to keep it up level with the engine. I'm juggleing with my timing with having a new building for this truck and my other toy's, so I have not taken this out of the truck yet. Trying to get my ducks in a row and get some ideas to what to expect. Each manual that I have on the compressor is just alike, not giving much info.

Thanks for your reply!!!

mike

I've never had a 501 off of an engine but a 500 slips right on with little effort. Use a new phonelic drive gear on the coupling.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

I would and I will after I figure out what a phonelic is. I ain't never had one of them before. I hope ya don't have to pull a pin and throw it.

mike

Phonelic is a reinforced plastic. The drive teeth on the auxillary shaft that the compressor splines into are this material. They are to quiet the operation, (like that helps) and cushion the backslap of the compressor.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ok, I got it loud and clear, now I know what it is, it shows it in the manual. Didn't know it was plastic, just thought it was another piece of metal shaft extention. You would think they would have used a longer comp. shaft with a neoprene gear. I wonder which would have lasted longer? All are getting plenty of lube.

mike

Thanks for your reply!!!

mike

I hadn't bench pressed in a while so I thought I'd practice up. I shoved it up between the block and frame from underneath while I had help w/the bolts. It never fails also that all the big sh*t requiring full physical effort breaks when it's 90+ degrees and humid out...

Good luck!

I hadn't bench pressed in a while so I thought I'd practice up. I shoved it up between the block and frame from underneath while I had help w/the bolts. It never fails also that all the big sh*t requiring full physical effort breaks when it's 90+ degrees and humid out...

Good luck!

It's a hell of a lot more difficult to stick one on a B model with the sheet metal on that it is an R model. Done that a couple of times. Kinda nice to get the bottom bolt started after getting the splines lined up to take the weight. Then you can let your arms get blood back into them! You don't want to drop that heavy SOB cause you are in the way of it's path to ground!!

Rob

I have had to start working out again not because I wanted too but, because of a bulging disc in my neck. I had a resent trip to the E/R and the MRI showed up this time...been livin with this for a year now not knowing who was beating me up in the middle of the night. I sleep alone and wonder if the people that used to live here had a key to get in?...... Not trying to make this a long story but........ several years ago in this house about 3:00 a. m. I was dead asleep when I woke from a knock at my door. I thought to myself, who would be at my door at this time of night?.....well I jumped up went down the hall to the kitchen.... looked out the window down at the driveway with no lights on in the house.... and I could make out some guys in my driveway waiting...... the knock came again.....I went into the living room, turned on the porch light.....this man in a black vest was wanting to know if a particular person lived here......I said NO....and I could see his side arm ready for serious business.....I told him who I was and finally asked him who he was to ask me all these questions...... he was a bounty hunter.....he then showed me his badge, said sorry and left........I mean Man things can happen to a person real quick and not know why or how. Totally not prepared Imust be slippin or gettin old......LOL

Thanks

mike

Having done it about 3 times in the last 4 or so years, here is my 2c worth.

Mike. You had me worried when you said "When phaseing in the air compressor to the engine, is their a geared tooth that both comp. & engine have to line-up in-order to be phased in ? Or does the comp. piston have to be at TDC or something same as timing an car engine"

That really had me going, because no I had not lined anything up!!!

Gambi80 said "What an effin bugger that was putting it back on"

UNDERSTATEMENT of the year - however, it can be done.

Mike. I did not use a floor jack. What I did was tie a rope around it and loop it around something up top.

Raise the compressor with one hand and pull on the rope with the other.

Oh. I should mention, that at about this time, my 2 month old pup decides to come under with me and help by licking my bald head.

Funny that the more I laughed, the more she licked and compressor slipped back down to floor. Did this about 3 times!

I think the operation would be a lot easier with two people (and NO pup). The person, up the top, just to take the tension on the rope and also direct how to position the compressor and the person underneath, just providing the brawn.

Oh. Forgot to tell you guys that these were all changed on my B61 which is right hand drive and therefore there is a big steering box to complicate matters.

But as I said, it can be done!

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

When phaseing in the air compressor to the engine, is their a geared tooth that both comp. & engine have to line-up in-order to be phased in ? Or does the comp. piston have to be at TDC or something same as timing an car engine ? The books I have do not go into detail enough for me to know. Any help is appreciated.

Thank You!

mike :mack1:

Mike. You just slip it on it don't have to be timed. They call it a " celeron" coupling. Oh and don't

forget the the little oil tube. Easy to forget if you are in a hurry. The older you get the heavier they get. Mark.

I did mine a few times. Back when I had it rebuilt, then again couple years ago when one of the brass fitting cracked and started to leak coolant. GAWD, what a disaster that was. Put it on/off a few times trying to get the new fitting to fit in the area the old one was. Wouldn't go into pump far enough, had to take it out and retap the pump farther so it coule go in and clear everything. It had to clock in a certain position, so had to be care tapping it as to not go too far and have it not stop right. Man....leaning over that fender, going underneath, leaning over fender, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Surely hope I never had to do that again.

Oh, ya, forgot I turned the pump shaft just slightly as i was wrestling with it. That screwed up the alignment and then it wouldn't go back on motor. Drop it out, turn just slightly, re-try. Drop, turn, retry....repeat, repeat, repeat.

Dam, can you tell it was a biotch.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The only compressors I'm aware of that had timing issues, were the earlier Cummins compressors, manufactured by Cummins. Since the couplings did not have a master spline they would fit and work any way you could stick them on. If not timed properly they would rattle even more than normal, which was really bad. If I had a failure on one of my own trucks I always tried to round up a Bendix to replace it. Mostly a used unit, to get the necessary parts to change it over. Today, it is easy to get an argument started over where they needed to be timed in the first place. I never had to tie a rope around one on a Cummins, but I have used the rope trick on starters several times. If you could teach the puppy to hold the rope or start the bolts, it would be a really good trick.

Gambi80 said "What an effin bugger that was putting it back on"

UNDERSTATEMENT of the year - however, it can be done.

I thought I'd keep it clean for the kids!

Mine had to come out because the accessory drive shaft went bad...so I had to drop the compressor and oil pan, among other things, to put a new one in. Definately put the F U in fun... :wacko:

Thanks guys for the replys. You guys sure know how to make me laugh. I have been with my mother most of the day hoping to get some things done at my home also. Finally got home at 6:20 p.m. changed oil in my car. The g/f called while I was under the car and I told her that I would not be in a very good mood if I did not get some truck time this evening. So she asked me if I wanted her to come over so I could start the truck and run it some. Since i'm on a hill I like to have someone around incase the truck lost air and have no brakes she can put the chocks behind the tires. So it has been started and driven some today. Crazy thing has happened while running it the air builds up to 110 lbs then goes down to 90 lbs the govenor is cutting in and out almost like it is suppose to. This is the first time this afternoon that this has happened since i've had the truck. I almost forgot at this time I need to go out and release the air out of the system and drain the oil out of the one air tank tonight.

Later

mike

Mike said

Since i'm on a hill I like to have someone around incase the truck lost air and have no brakes she can put the chocks behind the tires.

Mike, I think you better put some spring brakes on that truck before you have a catastrophe!!!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"