Daughter Smashed Her Car; She Can Fixx It:

Rob

Daughter was traveling to school on ice covered hiway doing about 45mph in a stiff cross breeze when a "modern day" wheel holder, (Probably driving a Pete) blew past at about 60mph. The interruption of the wind blast, and then subsequent rush of air after passing, shoved the car to the right losing traction into the grass of the shoulder. Unable to stop, or steer, she lightly impacted a large exit sign that stopped the car abruptly. Nobody hurt, but left with a repair bill that could be quite expensive.

I had told her that the next time she wrecked a car, she would fix it. Well the time is now. With my help, she is making the repair.

Here is a link to tonight's progress. Damn camera malfunctioned when daughter went to snap my photo. I was even wearing the "Chick Magnet" shirt.

Rob

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb81/51Mack/

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Daughter was traveling to school on ice covered hiway doing about 45mph in a stiff cross breeze when a "modern day" wheel holder, (Probably driving a Pete) blew past at about 60mph. The interruption of the wind blast, and then subsequent rush of air after passing, shoved the car to the right losing traction into the grass of the shoulder. Unable to stop, or steer, she lightly impacted a large exit sign that stopped the car abruptly. Nobody hurt, but left with a repair bill that could be quite expensive.

I had told her that the next time she wrecked a car, she would fix it. Well the time is now. With my help, she is making the repair.

Here is a link to tonight's progress. Damn camera malfunctioned when daughter went to snap my photo. I was even wearing the "Chick Magnet" shirt.

Rob

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb81/51Mack/

I don't know-looks like it could have been a high speed U.S.Express Freightliner, or a non-driving Celadon Volvo. Or any bullwagon-i've had all of them blow by me in the snow like they were on dry roads.

That's you in the dump truck,eh?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I don't know-looks like it could have been a high speed U.S.Express Freightliner, or a non-driving Celadon Volvo. Or any bullwagon-i've had all of them blow by me in the snow like they were on dry roads.

That's you in the dump truck,eh?

No, that is Marty, a good friend helping move dirt for the shop. The truck is mine, (51 A-40). I was in the backhoe getting ready to start leveling and took the photos so he could show his wife. Those are the only ones that made it through my computer data loss cause they were on photobucket.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Glad that she is OK. A rustang? C'mon Rob, daughter driving a RWD in winter! Wait I forgot, she is your girl. Is she helping on the trucks?

Yes, she can do most anything in the shop or on the trucks anymore. When she asks questions, I help and guide but she does almost all labor operations.

That car is a real bitch to drive in the winter. It usually stays parked and she drives one of my "shop cars".

Rob

Nice to see Dad kick in and assist when needed; that's what dads are for. How can you say no. I haven't had to fix my daghter's car yet, of course she is only 7 years old! She did hit me up for help building her "Powerpuff Derby" car for Brownie Scouts, though. Gonna have to make room in the shop for that project!

Good to hear she's alright. Probably all but her feelings about the car. Rob i've flown into Galesburg 2002 before for the Stearman show but don't remember Peoria Airport. I'll have to check my sectional to see what the identifier is.

mike

PIA is the identifier for Peoria. I used to maintain the landing lights, and tower genset at Galesburg but Moline does now. They are closer. We used to work there quite a bit until the controller's strike in 81 when president Reagan fired all of em. The tower was never reopened, the field turned over to the park district, and went to uncontrolled FBO.

Rob

Yes, she can do most anything in the shop or on the trucks anymore. When she asks questions, I help and guide but she does almost all labor operations.

That car is a real bitch to drive in the winter. It usually stays parked and she drives one of my "shop cars".

Rob

Wife had a '94 T-Bird with a 4.6 liter V8 years ago. You would put it in drive and take your foot off the brake and it would sit and turn the tires in winter. Now she drives the 2003 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car and it does a little better 'cause it's a front driver. The '91 Cougar I got has the 5.0 liter in it and It is like the T-Bird!!!! Can't wait till I get my pick-up fixed!!

post-984-1235316244_thumb.jpg

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Rob

idea-next time, dig up half a load of dirt out of the front yard and load it in the dump truck and let her drive that to school.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yeah, the 89 to mid 90's Cougars and T. birds were terrible but popular. Sure fixed a lot of them over the years. Put a lot of steering columns in the Cougars cause the bearings did not hold up.

I bought an 89 "Super Coupe" total at auction and was going to build me a high power sand buggy but after sitting a couple of years, I decided that the "Call of the Mack" was stronger so I parted it out.

Those Monte Carlo's have been a pretty good platform. The dash likes to rattle in a lot of them, and some things are cheaply assembled, (no insult intended), but overall a pretty good/reliable car. Just don't get that 3.4 ltr engine hot.

Keep the door hinges lubed about once a month. They love to eat them things!

Rob

idea-next time, dig up half a load of dirt out of the front yard and load it in the dump truck and let her drive that to school.

She used to drive my rollback in the homecoming parade for the high school. I think she's driven the dump truck, but don't remember when.

Don't cut her short on abilities; she's been around me far to long to be weak.

Girl can be as foul as a drunken sailor when mad; (from her mother's side of the family).

Rob

Our Monte has the much better 3800 engine and the only issue we have is that thing above the rear wheel for the vapor system needs replaced and it's sent a code and tripped the CEL. No rattles, only that vapor thing and a burnt out light on the heater control. Wife has always loved high horsepower cars and I don't argue.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Its good to see the younger generation learning to keep things running, i give her a lot of credit, i have 4 nephews who i can,t decide which one to will my 1st John Deere too, If they don,t know how to start it they can,t have it, They are all Collage boys but couldn't,t check the oil in a lawn mower, Keep her at it and she will go far

Its good to see the younger generation learning to keep things running, i give her a lot of credit, i have 4 nephews who i can,t decide which one to will my 1st John Deere too, If they don,t know how to start it they can,t have it, They are all Collage boys but couldn't,t check the oil in a lawn mower, Keep her at it and she will go far

Ain't much she won't attempt if she has a "boost" of confidence from me. Was called "Lil Rob" for quite some time.

I've got to order a few parts for this damage, then pull the a/c down, remove the condensor and radiator to weld up splits in the radiator support. A few final measurements and should be ready to go to paint next weekend.

I'll probably apply the topcoat myself. She will prep for blend both fenders, and driver's door because the fender was shoved back into the door upon impact.

She left for the evening feeling really good with her accomplishments.

Rob