Freuhauf Brochure From The 1940's

ThaddeusW

So I finally got around to rotating, cropping and saving the individual pages from cover to cover and decided to make it into one big PDF. This near perfect condition Fruehauf trailer brochure was among my grandfathers stuff when we cleaned out his old room (he passed away Jan 2000). Well I had it sitting around and decided to scan it. There was some color but only the illustrations of the trailers were color. My Linux system was not properly initializing the scanner for color so only black and white for now. Looks sharp and very readable, no squinting unlike some scanned brochures which are shrank down and compressed to the brink of unreadable. Its 7.8 MB in size so if your on dial-up please be patient. If you want the original jpg's I made from the raw scanned data please message me, they are about 5.5MB total.

Ok finally here is the link to my little page:

http://tswoskowiak.googlepages.com/home

If anyone wants to re-post the link on the ATHS forum please feel free to do so. Enjoy!

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 1 month later...

It's amazing how aerodynamics and fuel savings were being promoted long before fuel mileage was really ever an issue. I'm kind of curious how well those "differential duals" worked...and why they haven't made a comeback with the high cost of fuel. I'm surprised that there's as much difference between the inner and outer wheel in a corner as what they claim. Left side vs. right side, sure...but two feet of difference on the same side of the truck? :blink: I also thought it was interesting the weight limits on the carryall were given for 10 mph and 20 mph...not much gets hauled at those speeds these days :lol: I wish the pics were better on the dump, too...curious to see how the power 5th wheel operated, or where the hydraulic hoist is in the picture with the raised dump bed.

Interesting read for sure B)

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

It's amazing how aerodynamics and fuel savings were being promoted long before fuel mileage was really ever an issue. I'm kind of curious how well those "differential duals" worked...and why they haven't made a comeback with the high cost of fuel. I'm surprised that there's as much difference between the inner and outer wheel in a corner as what they claim. Left side vs. right side, sure...but two feet of difference on the same side of the truck? :blink: I also thought it was interesting the weight limits on the carryall were given for 10 mph and 20 mph...not much gets hauled at those speeds these days :lol: I wish the pics were better on the dump, too...curious to see how the power 5th wheel operated, or where the hydraulic hoist is in the picture with the raised dump bed.

Interesting read for sure B)

It looks like an inner and outer hub rotating separetely but would lock when the brakes were applied. Don't need it now cause of super singles. I think the "Power 5th Wheel" had a gear mounted on the side that would engage a gear on the trailer. The hydraulic pump would be mounted on the trailer and driven by that gear set-up, no need for a wet-line on the truck.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

It looks like an inner and outer hub rotating separetely but would lock when the brakes were applied. Don't need it now cause of super singles. I think the "Power 5th Wheel" had a gear mounted on the side that would engage a gear on the trailer. The hydraulic pump would be mounted on the trailer and driven by that gear set-up, no need for a wet-line on the truck.

Super singles are junk...have a blowout and you are stranded, and if that blow-out was any distance off the beaten path, good luck trying to find a tire guy willing or able to try finding you without a long hike out to the main road. You'll never find one on my truck. I'm curious how well they worked...and why they didn't catch on. Possibly too many moving parts that would wear out and cause costly repairs and downtime? Tires and fuel cheap enough back then that it wasn't worth the extra cost? Perhaps it was an idea 60-70 years ahead of its time...l_f692bdd5e2d2460d8cd0b93fd32ad1f5.gif

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Super singles are junk...have a blowout and you are stranded, and if that blow-out was any distance off the beaten path, good luck trying to find a tire guy willing or able to try finding you without a long hike out to the main road. You'll never find one on my truck. I'm curious how well they worked...and why they didn't catch on. Possibly too many moving parts that would wear out and cause costly repairs and downtime? Tires and fuel cheap enough back then that it wasn't worth the extra cost? Perhaps it was an idea 60-70 years ahead of its time...l_f692bdd5e2d2460d8cd0b93fd32ad1f5.gif

I rarely seem them except on long haul trucks and tankers. For long haul they do help with weight and fuel savings. The tankers are always looking to shave weight and the super singles do help in that area. But for vocational or any where off road work is done they are nearly absent. The only vocational trucks I see with super singles are the all wheel drive front discharge mixers. They are popular in Europe though. Many dump trailers have them as well as just about every other trailer in Europe. They even have low profile 19.5 super singles for trailers. They still use duals in very heavy situations though. Super Singles have their place and its up to the operator to evaluate them for use.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 1 year later...

Garrett O'Grady

Mrs.Quirk

5/3/10

The Byzantine Empire

The Byzantine Empire came to power after the roman empire fell in 476 A.D.

There goverment system was like the roman empires.they were feared as opponents in battle.Their

culture and religion was much like the romans.

The Roman Empire was one of the strongest civilazations of their time

but"When the Roman Empire fell in A.D. 476,its legacy would live on in the form of what we know

refer to as the Byzantine Empire.".The Byzantine Empire"chronologicly it spanned the period

from about 330 to 1453,and at its height ruled the lands from The Euphrates in the east to the

strait of Gibraltar in the west."."The Byzantine empire was the continuation of the Roman empire

in the eastern mediterranian during the middle ages.".The Byzantine empire was diverse with ethnic

groups"Ethnically the empire was diverse,its subjects including Greeks,Armenians,slavs,Arabs,

Egyptians,and Latins, Although its culture from the seventh century on, was predominantly Greek.".

The most important place in the empire was constantinople the capital of the empire, "The center of

the empire, in both cultural and political terms, was contantinople,the site of the court of the empire,

with its many bureas and complex ceromony,and the seat of the partriach of constantinople,

the spiritual leader of Byzantine christianity.".

As the Byzantine empire began to grow it started to become an intimidating

opponent for other civilazations,"The Byzantine Empire grew gradually and organically from the

old Roman Empire,and it is not possible to assign any precise date for its foundings.".The empire

had thier first emporer Constatine,"Constatine was not primarily an innovator,and he built firmly

on the foundations of his predecessors."."He did however,build a great eastern capital at

contantinople;he also became a christion and encouraged his subjects to do likewise."."The age

of constatine also witnessed the culmination of a process of political reorganization that had

begun in the third century and had even furthered by the tertrarchs.".Under the rule of constatine

things started to change,"The loose administration of the Roman Empire was replaced by a

tightly organized structure that was,at least theoretically,personolly coorinated by the all power

emporer."."The emporer was in general secluded from ordinary idivisuals and his person

elavated far beyond that of mere mortals."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing the Fruehauf brocure.I own a 40's era Fruehauf short lowboy that I pull with my BCR.It was built for the Army Corps of Engineers as a pull trailer.Somewhere along the line somebody pulled out the dolly and replaced it with a kingpin.Although mine wasn't in your brochure,it has a lot of the same features as their civilian models shown.Thanks again. :thumb:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 1 month later...

I rarely seem them except on long haul trucks and tankers. For long haul they do help with weight and fuel savings. The tankers are always looking to shave weight and the super singles do help in that area. But for vocational or any where off road work is done they are nearly absent. The only vocational trucks I see with super singles are the all wheel drive front discharge mixers. They are popular in Europe though. Many dump trailers have them as well as just about every other trailer in Europe. They even have low profile 19.5 super singles for trailers. They still use duals in very heavy situations though. Super Singles have their place and its up to the operator to evaluate them for use.

I just got back from Iraq and have a little more insight into the super singles you speak of in europe . There were tons of european and european inspired trucks and trailers in IQ mostly Mercedes and Volvo tractors and Shmitz and Gorica trailers they were almost eclusively tri axle trailers with 385/65 R22.5's not your average low pro 445/50 R22.5 super singles the same goes for Mixers here they run 445/65 R22.5 tires. The 385/65's and 445/65's are very high load rated tires and are mostly made with cut and chip resistant compounds the 445's are actually a heavier load rating than most common 22.5 duals. I ran 425/65 R22.5's on the front of one of my trucks and 315/65's on another both tri axle dumps and had less issues with them than the dual 14 and 16 ply 22's and 24's I ran on the rear. The super single is a fuel and weight saving tire put them on an alum wheel and you can drop over 150lbs per hub coming from duals so in bulk hauling they are a great way to save weight if you ran them truck and trailer you could save over 1200lbs thats another half ton of cargo pretty good from a tire that gets better fuel mileage and wears longer too. I have done the math and if I buy another dump trailer I plan to get it set up with 385/65R22.5's and will probably put them on the tractor drives too, if I can save over a half ton there and get better mileage it pays in the long run not to mention there are tons of 385's out there used that come off of steer axles on heavy trucks with plenty of life left in them when put on a trailer youd never have to buy new tires again. I just thought Id drop that thought in there everybody take it easy Im back out. Ryan Bassett

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

So I finally got around to rotating, cropping and saving the individual pages from cover to cover and decided to make it into one big PDF. This near perfect condition Fruehauf trailer brochure was among my grandfathers stuff when we cleaned out his old room (he passed away Jan 2000). Well I had it sitting around and decided to scan it. There was some color but only the illustrations of the trailers were color. My Linux system was not properly initializing the scanner for color so only black and white for now. Looks sharp and very readable, no squinting unlike some scanned brochures which are shrank down and compressed to the brink of unreadable. Its 7.8 MB in size so if your on dial-up please be patient. If you want the original jpg's I made from the raw scanned data please message me, they are about 5.5MB total.

Just out of curiosity, what software did you use here? It came out very clear.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"