Engine Oil

Underdog

I am getting ready to do an engine service on my F-model and I would appreciate any feedback on what type of oil is recommended for the END673 vintage 1963. I have no maintenance history on this truck and don't know what type or grade of oil is currently in this engine. I did open the valve covers and it looks pretty clean there, no sludge. Overall this truck seems to have been well maintained over the years. Would I be safe to use a modern multigrade detergent oil? The F is equipped with a bypass filter. I use Mobil Delvac 15W-40 in my modern truck and it would be logistically simple to use the same oil in both trucks.

I am getting ready to do an engine service on my F-model and I would appreciate any feedback on what type of oil is recommended for the END673 vintage 1963. I have no maintenance history on this truck and don't know what type or grade of oil is currently in this engine. I did open the valve covers and it looks pretty clean there, no sludge. Overall this truck seems to have been well maintained over the years. Would I be safe to use a modern multigrade detergent oil? The F is equipped with a bypass filter. I use Mobil Delvac 15W-40 in my modern truck and it would be logistically simple to use the same oil in both trucks.

That is what I run in my Mack Diesels and have not had problems. Been using it about 17 years now. Same thing with the gensets at work that are not two stroke, (still use straight 30wt in those).

Is your filter a bypass type for sure? That timeframe is about when they went to the full flow type.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I never did see a F model with a by/pass filter. The by/pass filter will have two # 6 oil lines at the bottom and not have a oil cooler. A full flow parial/flow by/pass will have one # 6 and two # 16 lines at the bottom. It is a bypass and a full flow together. And that engine will have a oil cooler.

glenn akers

I run Rotella in mine. 7 yrs without issues. Mine was surprising clean inside too?

About this filter issue. I know mine has the two large lines, one small. Can't recall what filter # I run, but am curious if there is different ones for same housing? This always peaks my interest, as I never remember what I have.

I only put 5-7Kmiles a year on oil change so I don't get it very dirty anyhow.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I run Rotella in mine. 7 yrs without issues. Mine was surprising clean inside too?

About this filter issue. I know mine has the two large lines, one small. Can't recall what filter # I run, but am curious if there is different ones for same housing? This always peaks my interest, as I never remember what I have.

The Mack I run at UPS in lexington has 1.7 million miles on the chassis. Only the second engine. They use Chevron 15w4O. :rolleyes:

For many years the # was 236gb311a. Changed many of them but dont know if that is still good. I only know of one filter for that can.

glenn akers

That is what I run in my Mack Diesels and have not had problems. Been using it about 17 years now. Same thing with the gensets at work that are not two stroke, (still use straight 30wt in those).

Is your filter a bypass type for sure? That timeframe is about when they went to the full flow type.

Rob

Thanks to all for the replies and the clarification on filters. It has the large #16 lines on it. My mind is more in the modern age, I just never thought about a full-flow being mounted out away from the engine like that. When I open up the can I will post any part numbers I find.

Thanks to all for the replies and the clarification on filters. It has the large #16 lines on it. My mind is more in the modern age, I just never thought about a full-flow being mounted out away from the engine like that. When I open up the can I will post any part numbers I find.

Glad to be of help.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Underdog,

I have the same issue as you about the oil to use in the bee truck. The previous owner of my truck said SAE 30 but, showed me a gallon jug of Delvac 15w40. I always heard not to use different oil brands and stay with the same weight. I'm still not sure after all the posts what to go with. By looking at my owners manual part of the manual says use SAE#30 weight but, another part leads me to believe the 10w 30 detergent above a certain temperature. And another thought leads me to not worry as long as I keep it clean. I just know, not to use a mineral oil 30 weight.

mike

Underdog,

I have the same issue as you about the oil to use in the bee truck. The previous owner of my truck said SAE 30 but, showed me a gallon jug of Delvac 15w40. I always heard not to use different oil brands and stay with the same weight. I'm still not sure after all the posts what to go with. By looking at my owners manual part of the manual says use SAE#30 weight but, another part leads me to believe the 10w 30 detergent above a certain temperature. And another thought leads me to not worry as long as I keep it clean. I just know, not to use a mineral oil 30 weight.

mike

Any oil meeting the specification for usage in a diesel engine will work. Diesel rated oils have the designation beginning with a "C" such as "CE", "CF", "CG", and so forth where oils for gasoline engines are rates with "SE", and such.

I would not hesitate to run a good quality oil such as Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac in a 15W40 formulation these days.

When the B series of trucks were manufactured, many of the multigraded oils were not in existance as the polymers contained within had not been invented yet.

Rob

Will these oils for diesel's get black very soon after an oil change? I use Pennzoil in my car and tractors because it stays yellow in color longer before it starts to turn dark. I used to use Mobil 1 in my Mustang and would be black as soon as circled the ranch, come back and check it.

mike

Underdog,

mike

My main concern is with the detergency of the oil. My experience with antique cars has been to use a non-detergent oil unless the engine has been overhauled or otherwise de-sludged. This truck was in service as recently as 2006 and appears to have been well maintained, so chances are a modern multi-grade detergent oil is already in there.

Will these oils for diesel's get black very soon after an oil change? I use Pennzoil in my car and tractors because it stays yellow in color longer before it starts to turn dark. I used to use Mobil 1 in my Mustang and would be black as soon as circled the ranch, come back and check it.

mike

Diesel oil will usually get black pretty quick after a change. But I have noticed the oil in my CX to maintain its clarity a little longer on my last few changes. Perhaps this is due to our new "cleaner" lower sulphur diesel fuel?