Plastic Vs Aeroquip-stratoflex:

Rob

I've got a 72 R685ST that is loaded with plastic lines, and an 73 RL797L that does not have any except the air shift lines, and underdash plumbing. The RL has all Aeroquip hoses and no plastic with the exception of the aforementioned areas. My 77 R795, and 78 RL755L have no Aeroquip lines at all. Everything is plastic after the air compressor. All of the trucks use a copper, or steel discharge line from the compressor that converts under the cabs to plastic or Aeroquip.

Is this the difference between an eastern, and western built trucks?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sounds to me like a difference between plants, suppliers, build specs., lowest bid, repairs over the years, etc.

Quite possibly there Greg. That Aeroquip hose is expensive and I'll bet there is in excess of 100 feet of different sizes on the 73 truck. It has wedge brakes and all five lines from each axle are aeroquip. It is also factory as the original paint on the frame also covers the hoses, fittings and everything else.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My 73 RS797LST had some of each. That is not surprising, considering it's age. My observation is that the plastic seems to hold up better. It weathers better and apparently is impervious to oil, inside and outside. It is less expensive and easier to work with, but it wont stand up to heat as well. As far as to what is original, only a build sheet would tell.

:mack1: With a 35 year truck it would be hard to tell what all has been updated with the air lines, but would a 35 year old truck even have original plastic lines, most trucks that old ran copper didn't they. terry

From what I've observed over the years, plastic air lines came on the scene around 1970, at least in Mack trucks anyhow.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

:mack1: With a 35 year truck it would be hard to tell what all has been updated with the air lines, but would a 35 year old truck even have original plastic lines, most trucks that old ran copper didn't they. terry

I can't answer that qualitatively as there are no splices in the aeroquip lines at all. The lines are point to point run, and have been there many years. The frame is aluminum and brown in color as are all the hoses, tanks, valves and all underpinnings.

The 72 truck does not appear to be changed from "as built", but I'm not sure there either.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Both Synflex and the Aeroquip are very tough hoses. Both will do a great job, some customers in the vocational area like the aeroquip hoses better, but the synflex is tough as nails.. don't discount that plastic (synflex) piping...

mike

• 1 month later...
Both Synflex and the Aeroquip are very tough hoses. Both will do a great job, some customers in the vocational area like the aeroquip hoses better, but the synflex is tough as nails.. don't discount that plastic (synflex) piping...

mike

The 69 flintstone i just pulled down had aeroquip braided lines and lots of copper lines. I was surprised to see so much copper! I just put it down to when they made trucks back then, they were made to last unlike today.

Grant