Question About Changing Power Divider

gumbiegumbie

My truck has the power divider that locks by itself and I'm wanting to change it to an air operated one. My dads truck has the air operated one and with the trucks side by side it looks like everything is the same size and bolt pattern and it just seems that if I had the air power divider off a salvage truck it would go right on there. My question is Will it??? Has anyone done this swap? Will I have to change the shaft or is it just as simple as unbolting the power divider on there now and bolting the new one in its spot and running an air line? They look the same length as well so im thinking i wont even have to change the lenth of the drive shaft because if there is a tiny difference im not seeing the slip joint should compensate for the difference. Yall give me some input, let me know if you think this will work. I know some will want to know why I want to change it, and my answer is because it makes a ping sound when it engages and/or disengages and everyone says thats normal and just the way that piticular one works but I dont like it. I want to be able to lock or unlock it myself. ((( I guess its just a control issue LOL!!! )))

:mack1: It is not just a bolt in job, unless you are familiar with a mack power divider it is hard to explain, the outer cam of the power divider has to be changed and it is held in with a large nut and you have to lock up the shaft to get the proper torque. And when you take the power divider assy. out you have to be careful and don't damage the shims for the ring and pinion, and yes the air divider is longer and drive line has to be shortened. terry

I want to be able to lock or unlock it myself. ((( I guess its just a control issue LOL!!! )))

Leave it be.........

I built 2 truck last summer with 3rd drive axles the first one we put the air power divide in. the second one we did not. we soon found out it was unnessecary. It's a preety big job to change over, because you have to have special tools for the big nut inside the cam (pretty major torque). unless the diff has been run without lube its better left alone!!

Well I guess I'll just leave it alone if its thats much trouble. I really like how it locks when it needs to I just dont like the popping all the time. Someone else said something about miss matched tires making it pop when I first got the truck and I knew it was fixing to have to have tires so I just ignored the popping until I put 8 virgin tires on and I will admit it done it less after that. Is it just the normal way it works for it to pop now and again when it locks and unlocks or should I never even know when it does it if its working properly. I'm wondering if something needs to be fixed but I dont want to spend alot of money if thats normal. My front driveshaft is one built at a shop and I'm almost positive it doesnt have the cardboard silencer tube in it anymore because you can hit the shaft with a wrench and it ((( rings ))) like a tuning fork which only magnifies the sound when the power divider locks in and out. Just let me know if yall think it needs attention or if I should just drive it until it breaks and then worry about it. Thanks!

My truck has the power divider that locks by itself and I'm wanting to change it to an air operated one. My dads truck has the air operated one and with the trucks side by side it looks like everything is the same size and bolt pattern and it just seems that if I had the air power divider off a salvage truck it would go right on there. My question is Will it??? Has anyone done this swap? Will I have to change the shaft or is it just as simple as unbolting the power divider on there now and bolting the new one in its spot and running an air line? They look the same length as well so im thinking i wont even have to change the lenth of the drive shaft because if there is a tiny difference im not seeing the slip joint should compensate for the difference. Yall give me some input, let me know if you think this will work. I know some will want to know why I want to change it, and my answer is because it makes a ping sound when it engages and/or disengages and everyone says thats normal and just the way that piticular one works but I dont like it. I want to be able to lock or unlock it myself. ((( I guess its just a control issue LOL!!! )))

I did it. the outer cam is a little longer with notches on the front of the cam that locks in, it is a good setup but there are a fine spline and a course spline, i had to buy a course spline to match the pinion 400 bucks, if i were you i would leave it alone while it is working.