Bleeder Screws

Greg Rider

I installed a replacement brake line and now I need to bleed her brakes. I got 3 of the 8 bleeders loose with DAYS of penetrating spray and very gentle pressure on a 6pt wrench. I tried tapping lightly on the bleeeders with a hammer to "help" the spray. I fear breaking one off and don't really want to open up that can o' worms. I've broken them on cars and pick-ups before and know that the wheel cylinder has to come out. I just want to prevent all that work over a $5.00 bleeder. Any advice please.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

I installed a replacement brake line and now I need to bleed her brakes. I got 3 of the 8 bleeders loose with DAYS of penetrating spray and very gentle pressure on a 6pt wrench. I tried tapping lightly on the bleeeders with a hammer to "help" the spray. I fear breaking one off and don't really want to open up that can o' worms. I've broken them on cars and pick-ups before and know that the wheel cylinder has to come out. I just want to prevent all that work over a $5.00 bleeder. Any advice please.

A little heat around the threads of the wheel cylinder and penetrating oil as the area cools followed by a little vibration from an air hammer somewhere close to the area ususally works. You do not need enough heat to destroy seals, just get the area a couple hundred degrees, (warm). The cooling down will draw the penetrant into the threads as it cools and the vibration helps it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I don't have a big torch set but I will try with the propane unit. I was concerned about the heat with the seals. Just not looking foward to removing drums on that rear-end if it goes wrong. Thanks for the advice.

#1 on A-model registry

I don't have a big torch set but I will try with the propane unit. I was concerned about the heat with the seals. Just not looking foward to removing drums on that rear-end if it goes wrong. Thanks for the advice.

Use Mapp gas Greg. Propane will not concentrate the heat as needed due to lack of BTU content in the fuel gas.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Use Mapp gas Greg. Propane will not concentrate the heat as needed due to lack of BTU content in the fuel gas.

Rob

I did not know that! Learn something new everyday! That's why I trust the people on this forum. The only BS here is the fun kind.

#1 on A-model registry

I did not know that! Learn something new everyday! That's why I trust the people on this forum. The only BS here is the fun kind.

Everybody says I'm full of it.

Rob

I'm full now! :D:D Had Tater-tot casserole and Toll House cookies for dinner :thumb::banana::tease:

And I wasn't invited?? A little Tabasco sauce to go with that fine cuisine and I'd be set.

Rob

And I wasn't invited?? A little Tabasco sauce to go with that fine cuisine and I'd be set.

Rob

No, just a big wopp of sour cream!! Chased it with a half frozen Cherry Coke!

#1 on A-model registry

• 2 weeks later...
I'm full now! :D:D Had Tater-tot casserole and Toll House cookies for dinner :thumb::banana::tease:

"...I do like tater tots..."- Clint Eastwood on whether or not to eat the governors t-bone steaks and tater tots, in the movie where he's after Kevin Costner, who has the little boy in the casper the ghost costume.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

What I meant to say was-

if all else fails, you can crack (loosen, I should say) the line where it goes into the wheel cylinder and bleed it there. However,That will only release the bulk of the air from the cylinder. The bleeder screw is placed at the highest point of the fluid cavity as to facilitate entrapped air rising to that elevation to be removed by "bleeding". As you will remember from elementary physics: A fluid medium, (liquid) cannot be compressed. A gaseous medium, (air in this case) readily compresses to many times it's atmospheric pressure/state.

Hydraulic power is based upon the principal that a liquid cannot be compressed. This lack of compression allows the movement of fluid under pressure to perform mechanical work. In this case, ultimately spreading of brake shoes to provide friction against a brake drum. :D

if all else fails, you can crack (loosen, I should say) the line where it goes into the wheel cylinder and bleed it there.

That will only release the bulk of the air from the cylinder. The bleeder screw is placed at the highest point of the fluid cavity as to facilitate entrapped air rising to that elevation to be removed by "bleeding". As you will remember from elementary physics: A fluid medium, (liquid) cannot be compressed. A gaseous medium, (air in this case) readily compresses to many times it's atmospheric pressure/state.

Hydraulic power is based upon the principal that a liquid cannot be compressed. This lack of compression allows the movement of fluid under pressure to perform mechanical work. In this case, ultimately spreading of brake shoes to provide friction against a brake drum.

Rob

I may crack the lines because the replacement was at the master cylinder. I took out the line-lock for some needed room under the dash. I was going to set the shoes out tight so bleeding would be true. I know that a lot of time is wasted pushing the shoes out trying to get a firm pedal.

#1 on A-model registry

That will only release the bulk of the air from the cylinder. The bleeder screw is placed at the highest point of the fluid cavity as to facilitate entrapped air rising to that elevation to be removed by "bleeding". As you will remember from elementary physics: A fluid medium, (liquid) cannot be compressed. A gaseous medium, (air in this case) readily compresses to many times it's atmospheric pressure/state.

Hydraulic power is based upon the principal that a liquid cannot be compressed. This lack of compression allows the movement of fluid under pressure to perform mechanical work. In this case, ultimately spreading of brake shoes to provide friction against a brake drum.

Rob

Wait a minute......Will the person using Rob's identity please untie him and let him go!!!!!!!!!!

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????

Rob

that's the same thing I said :rolleyes:

that's the same thing I said :rolleyes:

I thought I was listening to the 2nd harmonic of the converstation but could not discerne if I were correct, nor had a strip line filter readily available to be certain, so I apparently posted out of context.

I apologize for the replication/repeat of the information presented forth wit.

Rob

I thought I was listening to the 2nd harmonic of the converstation but could not discerne if I were correct, nor had a strip line filter readily available to be certain, so I apparently posted out of context.

I apologize for the replication/repeat of the information prestented forth wit.

Rob

...huh? :huh: