Got The Emblem:

Received the RL-700-L emblem today and it is acceptable. The seller did not use a bit a cushioning material and the emblem arrived with a broken mounting stud. It was in the box and you can see it in the photo. Oh well, the plater will be able to repair and replate it. Just adds about $35.00 to the cost. Considering how rare this emblem is, I really don't mind that at all but it makes no sense to throw something like that into a box unpadded.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

Glad you showed us this because, i have the original emblem that has broken studs also. I thought it was forthless because the owner ground the chrome finish off down to the brass coating. The emblem is B61 radiator under the dog. So if I understood you right, the studs can be fixed and then chromed. If so i'll take it to a shop. If I could find 2 Thermodyne emblems and 1 Diesel , I would have a complete original Truck.

Thanks

mike :)

:mack1:

Rob,

Glad you showed us this because, i have the original emblem that has broken studs also. I thought it was forthless because the owner ground the chrome finish off down to the brass coating. The emblem is B61 radiator under the dog. So if I understood you right, the studs can be fixed and then chromed. If so i'll take it to a shop. If I could find 2 Thermodyne emblems and 1 Diesel , I would have a complete original Truck.

Thanks

mike :)

:mack1:

You could do that with that grille shell emblem, or carefully unfold the flap the stud is attached through, drill out the stud and replace it with a small "elevator bolt". These have a very flat head on them, (look at a garage door track) and are basically flush on the head side. Then solder the bolt to the flange and carefully fold it back over. If you use a stainless bolt, it will never rust, and the repair is not seen once installed.

Chrome plating is actually "grown" on a part. Threads have to be covered to not fill and render them unusable due to size. They would need to be covered to not plate. That is why I reccommend stainless.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

I'm afraid the emblem will bend if I try to lift up to get under to drill out old studs. I know that an emblem can be bought from Kevin, but hoped I could somehow fix it. I'll still take your advise and try it and see if I can bend it back straight on the edges. Can't hurt.

Thank You

mike

Rob,

I'm afraid the emblem will bend if I try to lift up to get under to drill out old studs. I know that an emblem can be bought from Kevin, but hoped I could somehow fix it. I'll still take your advise and try it and see if I can bend it back straight on the edges. Can't hurt.

Thank You

mike

Soften the metal with a torch using Mapp gas. The existing plating may be discolored a little bit, but the heat will relax the metal at the metalurgical level, enabling it to bend readily.

Rob

Rob,

Actually I would like to separate the two metals. I know this was a brazing process at the factory on the front lip. The rest of the metal is not attached. Can the metal be re-bent without breaking after it has been bent the first time?

mike

The emblem with the script "Mack" is an electroplated stamping from brass sheeting in the beginning process. The mounting studs are then placed into the pre punched holes in the webs, and a press flattens a ledge that retains the fastener. The webs are then folded over to make the mounting studs protrude through the grille shell when mounted. It is then ready for installation.

The heat from the torch will relax the base metal and allow you to bend it with little effort. Just don't get it hot enough to melt. The chrome plating will probably discolor, but with new mounting studs installed, the part is worth replating.

A new part is available, but expensive.

Rob

Rob,

Yes I've seen the cost of New part and my heart stopped beating for about 20 seconds. There was a dent on the front side so I took a piece of wood on the back side and hammered it back out toward the front. Still has a defect in the metal but maybe the plater can fill it in. I'll surely be satisfied after I get new studs installed. I believe i'll use the stainless studs as you said but fine threads only and use small lock washers and nuts.

mike

He may have broken it taking it off , some guys cant do simple tasks.

The seller made contact with me this evening and apologized for not padding the shipment and wants to pay to have it repaired. He says both mounting studs were secure when he shipped it but did not think it would have needed padding. I did tell him it usually costs about $35.00 but I would know later in the next week as to cost.

Maybe this will work out after all.

Rob

:repost: Just wondering as to what diameter the studs are to be, and what length can I get by with?

Thank You

mike

1/8th to 3/16th of an inch with a total stud length of 1/2" should do just fine.

You could do away with the studs and replace with rivenuts as they are easy to work with once the setting tool is purchased. That way you would run a capscrew in from the backside of the grille shell and it would not be noticable from the face view.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Rob,

I'm ready to get the radiator emblem plated. The studs are made of brass. My g/f tried to post pictures but, had no luck so far. I also have a picture of the other emblems that are broken, with good chrome. I zoomed in on the subject matter, when ready to post pictures it told me the subject was too large. I'll figure something out later.

mike

Rob,

I'm ready to get the radiator emblem plated. The studs are made of brass. My g/f tried to post pictures but, had no luck so far. I also have a picture of the other emblems that are broken, with good chrome. I zoomed in on the subject matter, when ready to post pictures it told me the subject was too large. I'll figure something out later.

mike

Resize the photos to 640X480 resolution before posting.

Rob

She asked how do you resize a photo?

mike

I use my camera software that came with the camera. You can also do it with windows picture viewer software.

Rob

I use my camera software that came with the camera. You can also do it with windows picture viewer software.

Rob

I use "paint"-just right click on the picture, another window opens and one of the selections will say "open with". move the cursor over that, another window opens and one of the options is "paint" on my vista. I click on "paint" and the whole picture shows, way bigger than the screen. click on "image" at the top and then "resize" and you can type in what percentage of the original size you want. I usually go about 35-40% to start, that's still usually a little bigger that full screen size.Then you can also use "crop" to cut out stuff you don't want in the picture, and you can write on it, draw on it, change all sorts of stuff-like I did the speedometer and Rob's beard pictures. When you're done you have to click "save" ,under "file". Click "save as" to keep the original too, because once you click "save" that's what it'll be, and you can't get the original back. "Save" is fine if you're just resizing, but if you're doing other stuff to it, you might want to do "save as" so you can keep the original photo too. :D

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Let me know if this worked.

Worked great with good detail.

Other dog's been out driving his Pete again as the hallucinatory effects are taking hold early in the week.

Rob