Greetings From Central Pa!

E9V8

My "real" name is Terry, but ever since I built a Wheel Horse garden tractor with a "tricycle" (narrow) front end, I was given the forum nickname of "Tricycle Terry" - or "TT" for short.

I am not new to online forums, and definitely not new to :mack1: trucks. Although I never personally owned one, I spent many hours enjoying the view of that chrome dog that some "other brand" drivers like to tease us about.

I learned to drive in a 1970 R685ST with a 237 & a 5 speed and have been behind the wheel of many other Bulldogs ranging from R models, U models, F models, Superliners, CH's, and MH's - one of which had the mighty E9-450 V8!

As I get settled in and more comfortable around here, I'd be glad to share some photos and drawings I have collected over the years. (and maybe some good stories too!) I do have a Bulldog tattoo on my right arm and an real Olde English Bulldogge (named "Mack") too. (not exactly the correct Bulldog, but a Bulldog nonetheless!)

Thanks for being here and letting me join in!

And to the Watts Mack guys...... if I look hard enough, I think I can find the fluorescent pink hat I got from you back in the late 80's! :D

Edited by E9V8

Terry

Julian, PA

With all of the time I seem to be spending on the internet lately, it's hard to believe I never realized this forum was here!

I guess I've been too busy piloting my own to notice. B)

The holidays went as smooth as could be expected and I hope yours did too, Doug.

If you're ever back up here around the "original home 20", give me a shout.

Terry

Julian, PA

I thought it might be polite of me to add a link to my Flickr album here until I get time to move some pictures around.

If y'all don't mind looking through a bunch of Wheel Horse tractor pictures, start at the beginning. If you do, jump to page 7 at the bottom - that's where the truck pictures start!

My Flickr album link.

Terry

Julian, PA

Hi Terry,

Interesting hobby you have. I remember the Wheel Horse Garden Tractors growing up. A neighbor friend had a 1965 and later bought a 1969. I had a cheap Craftsman that I have a couple of slides, remember old slides?.... I still have them back, taken about 1968. It cost about $375.00 then. My dad bought that for me, so I would get over my liking a particular Go-Cart. He knew how to get me to work for him every summer. After the old Craftsman wore out we looked for a better lawn mower. Started out looking for a Ford. My dad worked for Ford at the time and could not see paying the price with discount. So we looked at Craftsman and made a deal at Sears but it was broken, so we left it. Went to a Big K Store looking at Murray mowers. A man saw us looking and asked us if we were interested in a good mower, we said yes. He told us of a company going out of business that sold Simplicity tractors and Jacobs. We bought a 1983 7112 6 Speed 12 HP with 48 in. deck for $1800.00. It was a steal even back then. I inherited the old tractor and still have it. I now baby the thing and enjoy it. If I can ever figure out how to post pictures, i'll take a photo of it and post it.

Thanks for sharing your interest.

mike

Someone had a pair of Wheelhorse tractors on a small flatbed truck at Macungie last year. One was a 59 and the other a 61 IIRC.

One of them had a sickle bar mower on the front, which I though was the coolest thing I'd seen in a while. I can just imagine that today a lawyer would have a field day if someone tried to sell something like that. :rolleyes:

There's a possibility that was Bob Taylor from over in NJ. He has a smaller red 1956 Ford (maybe a 3/4 ton) that's either an old dealer's truck - or just painted to look like one. He usually has two of the mid-engined Wheel Horses secured to the flat bed while attending shows.

My oldest is either a late '55 or early '56 and the newest is a 1992. I currently have 24 tractors and a pile of attachments and parts - most of which are 1970 or older. Although I can converse intelligently enough about trucks to not look like a total dunce, I can really gab about the little red tractors! B)

Terry

Julian, PA

Welcome to the forum, TT. The more the merrier! Now down to the business of trading information. There is a guy down on 220 in your neck of the woods with a purple Superliner and an MH sitting out by the road. I have been trying for years to read the logo on the back of that MH sleeper, but can never slow down enough with traffic and all. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Also I notice the Purple truck has not moved in a while. Maybe it is for sale???

Sorry to hit you between the eyes right away, but everything clicked in my brain when I saw your home 20. In return for your gracious reply I will try today to post pictures in my album of the first truck I owned, an MH with an E9-450. I still pine for this truck, wish I still had it. That's another thread for Truck Stories. At least everyone can enjoy the pictures. I will try to scan in some pics; I don't have any digital pics of that truck.

Sweet MH, Underdog! I bet you wish you still owned it, don't you? :D

Those trucks along 220 are only 1.5 miles from me! (I'm actually just west of that small town of Unionville on RT504)

Larry Lohr is the gentleman who owns that garage / scrap yard and had pulled a flatbed with the Superdog up until the 440 (yup - it's a V8!) finally decided to break something serious. That particular truck is actually around a 1981 (I think) but now has a Superliner II hood with the rectangular headlights. I remember Larry telling me the model number and that it was something not found too often around here.... something like an RWS747, maybe? (or something to do with the west coast, perhaps?)

The old MH was last used to haul corn in a Fruehauf tub at a local farm. It did belong to Jim Smith (I know that sounds generic, but it IS his real name) who is good friends with Larry and his son, but I believe Larry owns it now. Last I noticed, there was also a red early R-600 (skinny back cab) and a green CH day cab with a set forward axle there too.

I'm on winter lay-off for a few more weeks yet and will have to cruise down there and round up some pictures and information..... and find out what the back of the MH really does have written on it.

Terry

Julian, PA

I thought you might like the pics. Looks like you might have some dump experience, too. I traded the MH on the Vision I am running now. I miss the old girl, I guess we all remember fondly our first loves. Can't complain too much though, I've got a good horse now.

Keep an eye out for me, I still run the old road through the valley down your way. The new bypass is nice but why climb the hills if you don't have to?

Welcome to the forum TT !!!!!! Great bunch of guys in here for sure!!!!!! Fun too, although in a strange kind of inflatable kind of way!!!!!!!!

19.gif

Just make sure you stay between three and five pounds per square inch inflation pressure to acheive everlasting satisfaction.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Underdog..... I got some info on Larry's stuff down there at the garage along RT220 for you!

I just talked to his son on the phone and actually remembered to ask him about that stuff. :D

The writing on the back of the MH cab is "One stack Mack without a window in the back" and I guess the Superliner is going to be sold, but it already has a potential buyer. It's an RWS722LST with a blown 440 V8.

Terry

Julian, PA

1988 Superliner

Hey Underdog..... I got some info on Larry's stuff down there at the garage along RT220 for you!

I just talked to his son on the phone and actually remembered to ask him about that stuff. :D

The writing on the back of the MH cab is "One stack Mack without a window in the back" and I guess the Superliner is going to be sold, but it already has a potential buyer. It's an RWS722LST with a blown 440 V8.

I think the Superliner is on ebay with a starting bid of $11,000.00 stating the engine has problems. Lots of money considering how expensive that engine is to repair.

Could be a different truck though.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1988 Superliner

I think the Superliner is on ebay with a starting bid of $11,000.00 stating the engine has problems. Lots of money considering how expensive that engine is to repair.

Could be a different truck though.

Rob

I believe that's one of Kinard's old trucks from York, PA. (and you're right, Rob - that's a lot of $ for the condition of that truck)

The one that's close to me (that I need to get some pictures of :rolleyes:) is dark purple with a decent sized bunk. I'm not positive on the year, but I think it's a 1981.

Terry

Julian, PA

OK, folks.....

Time was apparently on my side, so I took the liberty of adding 25 images to my newly-created gallery.

I hope there's something in there that you'll enjoy! B)

Looks like a lot of revenue from the past sitting in those photos. They've worked hard and deserve the rest they're enjoying.

Thanks for the photos.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi Terry!

Nice pictures of old Macks. I just bought a MH612 that was part of Martin's Pastry (Potato Rolls) fleet in Chambersburg, PA. The one I am purchasing is a 1992 with an EM7-300 engine, T2050 transmission, and Mack rear axle. It is still in Chambersburg but will be getting it to OH sometime in March. Do you know of any MH's sitting in salvage yards? I am looking for a dual exhaust set-up, air ride passenger seat brackets, and trailer hook-up light.

I will try to post some pictures of my MH612 when I get it home.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Sorry I must have missed your posts last month,Terry. Thanks for the info, though. Last couple times I've gone down through I noticed Lohr's Superliner is gone, so you're right, must be sold.

Cool pictures in your gallery, too. I stopped out on 22 near Huntingdon where those F-models sit just rotting away. Spoke to the owner of the trucks and we exchanged numbers in case I wanted any parts, but they look too far gone even for anything useful. He did say he was willing to let me browse and he would call me before the trucks went to scrap. I don't think those trucks are leaving anytime soon, though. I'd say those F's (and one KW in the back) have been there close to 20 years. The opportunity for big $$$ on scrap has passed us by.

Hi Terry!

Nice pictures of old Macks. I just bought a MH612 that was part of Martin's Pastry (Potato Rolls) fleet in Chambersburg, PA. The one I am purchasing is a 1992 with an EM7-300 engine, T2050 transmission, and Mack rear axle. It is still in Chambersburg but will be getting it to OH sometime in March. Do you know of any MH's sitting in salvage yards? I am looking for a dual exhaust set-up, air ride passenger seat brackets, and trailer hook-up light.

I will try to post some pictures of my MH612 when I get it home.

I've been out of the loop long enough that I can't help much with parts units, "farmer52". Most of the MH trucks I knew of are either gone or only had one stack.

If I come up with anything, I'll be sure to pass the information along to you.

Terry

Julian, PA