427 Oil Cooler.......

My 2002 Pre Emission 427 has a leak that is running down the block right in back of the oil cooler. I'm assuming it is the cooler leaking. I have to bring the truck home for service next weekend and I'm wondering what kind of job it is to replace the seals????? This truck sat from January 08 to November when I bought it. I'm surprised that this is the only leak so far. I serviced it before I put it on the road and boy did it smell bad out of the breather and it had a ton of blowby. After about a week the smell went away and the blowby is down about 2/3rds. She is running great now. I dosed it up with Howells for about the first 5 tanks of fuel. So, is the oil cooler seals something I can do when I service, or do I need a couple of days???? :wacko:

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????

My 2002 Pre Emission 427 has a leak that is running down the block right in back of the oil cooler. I'm assuming it is the cooler leaking. I have to bring the truck home for service next weekend and I'm wondering what kind of job it is to replace the seals????? This truck sat from January 08 to November when I bought it. I'm surprised that this is the only leak so far. I serviced it before I put it on the road and boy did it smell bad out of the breather and it had a ton of blowby. After about a week the smell went away and the blowby is down about 2/3rds. She is running great now. I dosed it up with Howells for about the first 5 tanks of fuel. So, is the oil cooler seals something I can do when I service, or do I need a couple of days???? :wacko:

I have no idea, but since nobody's replied...Rob?

...he's probably at Red Lobster, i'm sure he'll get back to you soon ^_^

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Well, if Rob is at Red Lobster, he will be busy trying to get that crab claw released from his nose....One of these days he'll learn not to harass the waitress.........19.gif

Its not that big of job to do just be sure you got all the parts.

Well, if Rob is at Red Lobster, he will be busy trying to get that crab claw released from his nose....One of these days he'll learn not to harass the waitress.........19.gif

I tend to not offer advice unless I have an answer that can be of use when it concerns someone's livelyhood. This is of a serious nature considering that truck produces an income for it's owner/operator. A leaking oil cooler is an issue that can rapidly escalate to catastropic proportions so I thought it should be left to experts with the newer engines. I've never even seen a 427 Mack engine, as it is much too new for me.

Now that bitch at Red Lobster owes me a free dinner for sikking her damn crab on me!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Blowup toys, crabs, what next??? I believe the original post had something to do with oil coolers. On very rare occasions the experience of Underdog becomes of some practical use. I have previously performed the operation you describe, with very few cuss words. Not bad at all, Dave. Just need some patience and dexterity to get at some of the top bolts and line up the O-rings upon assembly. I think the O-rings are sold in a set, all in one package for the cooler, and you might want to add the O-rings and gasket for the filter tower since you will have it off anyway.

No crabs were injured in the posting of this response ! ! !

I personally like the way threads over hear can weave uncontrollably. Kinda like me at 3AM on my way back from Ashland VA........Am

Anyways, These oil coolers don't look as bad as the one on my 95 350...... That one looked like a real gem to line up!!!!! I have to give it some thought.........Thanks for the info!!!!!!

The leak (oil) is usually the oil filter stand to block gasket. Mack updated the gasket with a steel core around 2003/2004. I assume your oil cooler is the plate style (square box) instead of the old "round" style. Also on the back side toward the top of the oil filter stand there is a large pipe plug that sometimes seeps oil. It not one of my more favorite things to do as it seems you need 3 hands to hold everything up and start the bolts.

I don't know if it is prudent with the type oil cooler that you have but I always use silicone lubricant on all "O" rings when reassembling. You can buy lubricant sold for this purpose, but I purchase a tube marketed as brake caliper lube. It is much less expensive, and you get about 50 times as much product in the larger tube.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Blowup toys, crabs, what next???

Answering your question:

The next animal to enter the equation:

The automated "Chicken Choker"; Guaranteed to fit all sizes, and marketed exclusively by the fine folks at the Uranus corporation.

Invented by myself, and presently "patent pending".

I'm gonna be another friggin Ron Popiel.

Rob

I don't know if it is prudent with the type oil cooler that you have but I always use silicone lubricant on all "O" rings when reassembling. You can buy lubricant sold for this purpose, but I purchase a tube marketed as brake caliper lube. It is much less expensive, and you get about 50 times as much product in the larger tube.

Rob

Is that large size lubricant good for "edge wetting" as well?

Is that large size lubricant good for "edge wetting" as well?

I would assume so, but the chemical properties may promote irritation to sensitive materials.

Rob

I took a couple photos of the product that I use. This tube was about $6.00 last summer and it works very well on "O" rings, and brakes as it is marketed for.

I noticed that it said "avoid prolonged skin contact", or something to that matter. That means if it is used for sex lube, 30 seconds to put it on, 45 seconds to do the nasty, 90 seconds to wash it off should not cause too much damage. Just don't use it where your eyes would be in close proximity as it is ane "eye iritant".

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Rob

My reply about the smell comes from 1st hand exp., 2 yrs ago i got 2 John Deere D,s a 37 and a 42, someone had took the rad. cap from 1, After a lot of tinkering i filled her full of water to try to get it running. After awhile it fired up and ran for about 10 minutes when the god awfullest smell started, The water wouldn,t run out of the drain plugs, Because at least a half a dozen rats had crawd down in the bottom of the rad, and died, What a mess i had to pull the head crap every where, everything was plugged full of remains

My reply about the smell comes from 1st hand exp., 2 yrs ago i got 2 John Deere D,s a 37 and a 42, someone had took the rad. cap from 1, After a lot of tinkering i filled her full of water to try to get it running. After awhile it fired up and ran for about 10 minutes when the god awfullest smell started, The water wouldn,t run out of the drain plugs, Because at least a half a dozen rats had crawd down in the bottom of the rad, and died, What a mess i had to pull the head crap every where, everything was plugged full of remains

sounds nasty, rat stew!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Hmmmmm, interesting......

Well if anything crawled up the breather tube to take residence inside my engine, at least the 'ol Bulldog would have had a nice little snack........

As for the latest left turn we have taken here, I find that the use of lubricant takes away the cute noise that kinda sounds like moving a straw up and down in the lid of a "to go" soda cup.............6.gif

Hmmmmm, interesting......

Well if anything crawled up the breather tube to take residence inside my engine, at least the 'ol Bulldog would have had a nice little snack........

As for the latest left turn we have taken here, I find that the use of lubricant takes away the cute noise that kinda sounds like moving a straw up and down in the lid of a "to go" soda cup.............6.gif

sounds like the springs need a good oiling, or go to a "full foam" matress because if the tool and receptacle make that kind of noise, you have other problems to be concerned with!

Rob

Well, I did a service today and the leak is definitely coming from the filter head where it bolts to the block......a dinner engagement made me postpone a repair until the temperature will be in the teens with 6 ft of snow on the ground............I work outside.........

remember to get the correct gasket...don't let "jodi" get ya the wrong one!

Nah, that's one thing I don't worry about. Up at Baltimore Mack, Hagerstown, there is a parts guy up there, good 'ol Reed, that has been in the business since Noah was floating around looking for the Bahamas.........He is the absolute BEST!!!!

In fact the whole gang up there is a lot of fun!!!!!!!!