E-7 Lifter H Ring

CML Service

Hi Folks,

I was just at a friends shop and he showed me a repeat problem he has with a E-7 engine. It seems the H ring that prevents the lifter from rotating has moved too far up it's bore. That caused cam and lifter failure. The manual talks only briefly about this condition but gives no remedy for it. Has anyone else seen this? What can be done to correct it? I seems the H ring only relies on interference fit to prevent rotation.

Chuck

Hi Folks,

I was just at a friends shop and he showed me a repeat problem he has with a E-7 engine. It seems the H ring that prevents the lifter from rotating has moved too far up it's bore. That caused cam and lifter failure. The manual talks only briefly about this condition but gives no remedy for it. Has anyone else seen this? What can be done to correct it? I seems the H ring only relies on interference fit to prevent rotation.

Chuck

Sorry I cant help ya We do have the tool for install at work but have never used it!H rings have never been an issue.

Hi Folks,

Chuck

Mack makes 2 different oversize H-rings that will fit tighter in the bore. It just sucks that you have to pull the head when you install them. We usually pull both heads and cam and check all H-rings for proper height and position. We see this quite often when the rocker arm shaft hold down bolts break on powerleash engines (AI and AC ASET engines) and the customer keeps driving. Usually breaks the creramic roller lifter and knocks the H-ring loose.

Mack makes 2 different oversize H-rings that will fit tighter in the bore. It just sucks that you have to pull the head when you install them. We usually pull both heads and cam and check all H-rings for proper height and position. We see this quite often when the rocker arm shaft hold down bolts break on powerleash engines (AI and AC ASET engines) and the customer keeps driving. Usually breaks the creramic roller lifter and knocks the H-ring loose.

Good info 68 we have had no failures of this nature even thou weve had sum broken bolts, but this is good info on the h ring Thanx for posting it!Most of our customers shut the engine down when the poping starts!

Thanks for the info on the oversize rings. This engine did originally break the rockershaft bolts and damage the shaft. Do the oversize rings require any machining? Oh yea I guess my brain was still in neutral yesterday . This is an E-tech engine.

Chuck

We usually just drive in the standard size H-ring but if it goes in to easy, we drive it out and put in the over size H-ring. We have never used the double oversized H-ring yet. No machining needed. Any time we replace a camshaft in an ETECH, ASET AC or AI engine, we check the H-ring height with a flat edge and a welding rod to make sure all the H-rings are all the same height. You can do this with the heads on. If you find one a little high you can tap it down with a long small punch. If its really high or loose in block , you have to pull the head and replace it. When the valve lash get excessive due to backed off rocker arm adjustment, broken rocker arm or hold down bolts or bent push tube, the roller lifter had nothing holding it down and the camshaft slings the roller lifter up like a slide hammer and beats the H-ring up out of the block. Very important to check this because you will putting in another cam and lifters soon if the H-ring is to high and new lifter starts to wobble due to not being fully supported. We know because we have screwed up more than one.

• Thanks 1

• 10 years later...
5 hours ago, Kiadrake76 said:

Can the H ring possibly be installed from the bottom? My supervisor is determined to try it. From what I've read here the head had to be pulled. But, I'd be grateful to learn otherwise.

My vote is no-go on the bottom-up installation. You'll never know if your in perfect alignment.

H ring.pdf

Edited by Mack Technician

5 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

My vote is no-go on the bottom-up installation. You'll never know if your in perfect alignment.

H ring.pdf 295.46 kB · 4 downloads

Agree. It would be very difficult if not impossible to get it in straight without the tool.

Whenever I replace one, I always put some sleeve retainer on them. Don't know if it helps hold them better but can't hurt I figure.