Where is the serial number on Mack engine

So I have an old Mack truck. The title was lost and the previous owner had it titled as a 54. But it has a R600 body. It also has all original interior and engine/transmission (2 stick). I have looked for the serial number on the engine but can’t find it. Can anyone tell me where to find it and what year they think the old Mack is? And how much it is worth. IMG_0322.thumb.jpeg.abe3492ad0c1d5190f606b16c9661fef.jpegIMG_0321.thumb.jpeg.c36850312422f6e8d18096ba5654a1dd.jpeg

It should be stamped back of the engine right behind the rear  head good luck … quick guessing value is 8 to 10,000 depending on condition of everything cab  looks real good according to the photo it was probably a kit they were putting together in the middle 60s. I’m sure more guys will chime in 

I believe they call them. BCR’s quite common back then…. bob

• Thanks 1

are you actually looking for the trucks V.I.N.  ?  i dont like the can of ether..  thats a bad sign..  how about some pics of the engine, which is probably an E-6..  on the frame behind the right steer tire is the trucks V.I.N. also on that triangular part of the door frame in the picture. 

• Like 2

Joey Mack- the ether was never used on the old Mack. We have an old Allis tractor and have had to use it on tractor. 
I will look for the serial numbers and post a picture of the engine. The engine is strong and starts right up. We have used it a lot to haul big rounds of hay. Usually 16 (1400 lb) bales with no trouble. Probably won’t get to post engine picture until Tuesday as it is Easter today and have grandkids coming down. Thanks for the info everyone. I  appreciate it!!

• Like 2

another possibility in conversation it may be a '64 not '54. was involved in two B C R conversions ; this could be a BCR. which for info stands for B model converted to R model. does have the B model radiator -looking at the two front side spacers used in very early R's  still having B model components. much like a '66 DM being restored. on BMT.😇

• Like 1

study the pictures show a lot of B model; or confusing could be a very early R. front axle hub caps/ early style R heavy one piece hood and the Mack name front and sides. can't judge by the interior== a BCR comes completely groomed (if ordered as such).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Yeah, I noticed the outer panels were definitely BCR. I’m sure this guy is gonna get an earful , but I’m sure that’s what he’s looking for. Happy Easter. Mecho… bob

would not  go with definitely a BCR;; your DM also has radiator side panels if I recall correctly. also number one R model ==R607T- 1001 has the side panels since that is one very early R having many B model parts. HAPPY EASTER  to You also Sir.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Mecho forgot to mention it depends on what year the engine is location of their numbers mine are  behind the rear head on the block  Bob

The engine numbers on back of block means it was ordered for a cab over, conventional was right in front of injection pump on the rounded part of the block   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 2

Thanks for the information everyone. The neighbor borrowed it to haul some big rounds home so I haven’t got a chance to look at the engine block yet for numbers but I will as soon as he brings it back. Here is a picture of drivers side of engine  this was when we first went and got it  the other side has the Mack logo on the engine  it needed new batteries but fired right up  IMG_0320.thumb.jpeg.2c550e28dac85ff2a10a65d827193cf3.jpegIMG_0316.thumb.jpeg.2934669cce0613f759573997d2652dc4.jpeg

these latest pictures favor more the B C R idea. 1- those radiator front side panels look to be VERY EARLY change over or homemade. solid metal work not factory metal with imitation grooves pressed in. 2- other then someone installed an alternator, engine goes to the "B" model family. early intake manifold/ much older oil filter.3- radiator smaller B style having framework around it going to fire wall. 4- older style shutter stat. 5- oil fill on front valve cover; not side of block,6- non turbo? . 7- radiator fill =older version. 7- starter might be on passenger side; can't see in picture. still a real nice unit. 

• Like 1

I will put a serious attempt to go over to #1 R-607T =1001 and take some pictures for comparison . #1 is not a BCR and memory cannot compare these two. I know it does NOT have the short oil filter. another project has taken monday (possibly beyond LOL). keep searching recommended locations for a vin/ serial number.

Thanks mechohaulic! Yes it does not have a turbo. Still waiting for the neighbor to bring her back so I can search for the serial /VIN numbers. I will post more engine pics when he returns the old girl. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:44 AM, mechohaulic said:

these latest pictures favor more the B C R idea. 1- those radiator front side panels look to be VERY EARLY change over or homemade. solid metal work not factory metal with imitation grooves pressed in. 2- other then someone installed an alternator, engine goes to the "B" model family. early intake manifold/ much older oil filter.3- radiator smaller B style having framework around it going to fire wall. 4- older style shutter stat. 5- oil fill on front valve cover; not side of block,6- non turbo? . 7- radiator fill =older version. 7- starter might be on passenger side; can't see in picture. still a real nice unit. 

I guess that was what I was trying to say the BCR has its own panels different than mine… bob

On 3/31/2024 at 7:35 AM, terry said:

The engine numbers on back of block means it was ordered for a cab over, conventional was right in front of injection pump on the rounded part of the block   terry:MackLogo:

Sorry, answered the wrong one… bob

• Haha 1