Transmission whine

My t318 is making a whining noise that doesn't sound good.  I think I only notice it in low range but maybe I just can't hear it in high.  The trans has 2 ptos hanging on it.  I normally hit the neutral switch and put it in gear in the morning and let her warm up some, the noise is very noticeable then. Anyone that has ideas or something to check would be much appreciated.  I'm thinking the worst and hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

not always the easiest; I would get out the ole length of 3/4 heater hose while it's running (and no one will get in) ;; on the creeper and listen for a better location on the  whine . case some youngster  is wondering the heater hose is method from days gone by before all the fancy tech toools. one end to your best ear other follow along transmission (NOT follow the trans) I know how these sick minds think here, LOL it's difficult due to noise travels ; in some cases you can narrow down noise location. if the PTO is in whine mode at start up , it should be hot and louder after running. 100% agreement with the PTO idea.  

• Like 1

then there are tec questions needing answers which may help ::: 1= have both PTO's been on there??2- has one been recently installed ?? 3- can you engage a PTO without it's application (pump/ hose etc) ?? 4- if so is there a difference in noise with either being engaged ?? 5-  to shim requires specs and shims . 

• Like 1

the transmission was re-built..  When I used to rebuild transmissions, I stripped them clean..  when the transmission was done I would hook air to it and bench test it for shiftability including range shifting.  I would put the stick on it and hook shop air to the shift cover, run all lines correctly and use my home made crank to operate the transmission and all its gears and ranges.  then I would set the PTO'(s) and be done..  

KIMG2646.JPG

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Thank you for the replies.  I should add, it has 30-40000 miles on it since rebuild. The noise started fairly recently. Last week I did notice some loose nuts on both ptos and tightened everything up. 

I bet they were pre loaded, and pushed themselves loose, or they werent tight and they were side loaded..   Can you re-set the PTO's, or do you have to hire someone?  

Both pros have been on since rebuild.  They both are powering winches,  tomorrow I will run each separately without running winches and report back. Thank you guys.

• Like 1

I loosened up both ptos almost to where they would start leaking,  ran everything for a minute and noticed no change in sound.  I drove it and the whine is there in low range but the second you shift into high range it stops whining.  The sound doesn't change using the splitter.  Does that still sound like a pto problem?

Not sure, may not be..  another possible cause would be too much pre load on the rearward bearings..  I'm trying to stay away from going too deep into this.  It's hard to diagnose this one without hearing it and driving the truck.  

• Like 1

Still think PTO how ever as Joey states Is a hard call ! That fact you hear it in neutral says something to me, Its in the main box and it only telegraphs in  direct when driving ! just my thought! Check the drain plug for chunks and get some one to double check the Ptos in my opinion! Wouldn't want to rip a trans out with out evidence!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Late to this 

Reckon you have a crook bearing on the high range gear on the main shaft 

If the whine is only there in low range, this is the only time high range is spinning on the shaft 

In low range the low range gear is fixed on the shaft 

If it was mine I would pull the transmission out and lift it apart before something goes kahput and big dollars are needed 

Two things to remember are

1 I am only going off whats written here

2 it isn't my truck, so I'm not spending my money 

Good luck

Paul

I like Paul’s answer it might be a counter shaft bearing ? My duplex in my b model will whine in high gear with aux stick in low then will go away when aux stick is shifted to high I know there was some failure at one time seeing part of my trans case has been welded back together 

• Like 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

Thanks everyone.  I still haven't nailed down what it is.  I'm local so I've been using it some and hoping for a good outcome.  I tried the hose trick and couldn't make any more sense of it.  I also used a temp gun to check temps all over trans and both ptos and all temps are within + or - 10 degrees. We'll see what happens. 

• Like 1