Superliner Torque Rod questions

Hi all,

after all my google and forums search I at least found out my '88 RW713 has most probably a Neway Air-Suspension.

What I'm searching for is the correct part numbers of the torque rods of which I have 4 on the rear. Found some numbers in my parts book but it's for a RW613 and when I google them I get no results at all.

Could someone help me out with the correct part numbers?

The rods even look like the bushings can be changed seperately - is that true?

The truck stays some miles away during winter, otherwise I would disassemble it already and take the measures of the bushings myself.

But I would hate to tear everything apart without having the spares in hand.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers Arny

20231220_142340.jpg

Is it an Allentown (US) built truck? Is the suspension original to the truck? I assume you speak English since your written English is very good. If yes to all three of those then just call Watts Mack in New Alexandria, PA and have them look up the part numbers you need. You will just need to give them the VIN number of the truck. 1988 is still readily available information for them. They are classic and antique Mack experts and actually own/host this website. They can get you the info you need.

• Like 1

Actually it's a Canadian built Mack. Not quite sure if the suspension is original to the truck but I'd guess it is. I requested the build sheet from Mack, hopefully it get's that much into detail.

Good idea, I might just call them and ask...

There is a company called ''Atro''  I have been able to get torque rods from them. You may need to measure the length ''on-center'' to find the correct ones..  

Yes, that's Neway airride. Looks factory. I also have that style on my Canadian built R-model.  The best option from what I learned to the moment is purchasing ready rods of the needed length and replace them. BTW depressing the cone pins too probably will be a PITA. I still have a couple of brackets off differentials I removed together with a rod or just a pin and they're waiting for a gas torch to be fired up. Couldn't do anything good with those when on a truck. Even with a big sledge hammer.

The bushings are replacable in theory. They're supplied by Atro (with poliurethane?) and by others. I orered PAI parts since they were easy to purchase at the time and cost reasonable. When they were here and I tried the replacement I found out the long rod was fitted fine (sure using hydraulic press and fashioned spicer made by lathe) and the short rod had holes LARGER than new bushings were supposed to fit into. 

That short rod got its way to a machine shop where its holes were bored and sleeves pressed in. So it's ready for new bushings (and I'm not ready to put my hands on it yet). But the 2nd set is on the waiting list. And I expect the same issue there.

In my particular case importing the complete rods is expensive story since they're heavy and also not really cheap. New bushings were nearly $30 for the one with a brace and $50 for the pin. You need 4 of each style for a tandem truck.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012