compressor

On 1/3/2024 at 10:24 AM, Mackpro said:

On trucks where the air compressor gets it’s fresh air from the piping between the air filter housing and the turbo, we see guys running dirty air filters and the engine is sucking for fresh air so hard it pulls oil up past the rings on the air compressor which pumps it into the air drier/air tanks. Very common on the 2003.5 -2007 Aset Ac engines . Could also happen to any truck with air compressor getting its fresh air this way. 

My '79 endt676 we tried a small filter they make that goes right on the compressor, so it had an intake independent of the engine. Still pumped oil.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I see an air problem 1st thing I check is how well the truck holds air going down the road. Take it out on the expressway with a trailer (if it is a tractor) in light traffic and see how long it runs between gov cycles (blow off if it has an air drier) On the highway without using brakes, it should go a MINIMUM of 15 minutes between cycles, if it can't do that, all other "fixes" will fall short.

I realize a truck in town is going to use more air than a truck on the highway, but if the system leaks going down the road, then it will use more in town. Most trucks I see fail this test if they are a few years old or older.

I had mine, at one point, air ride truck and trailer, air start, go 45 minutes between cycles, that was one tight truck! 30 min is about the best I can keep mine to.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:40 AM, mack88 said:

replaced with new one was told to open tank run at 1100 rpm for half hr to break in the rings thanks for the replies.

Let us know if this one pumps oil too....