Stretching R model hood

Go to solution Solved by Vladislav,

I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death. Have any of you ever had a R600 hood lengthened to R700 specs? Is there anyone who does it professionally? I suspect that any reputable fiberglass shop could do the job, but someone who did custom semi work might understand the idea a bit more. Thanks to all.

after market or search for a parts truck for donor. to stretch one would either be take two ;do a chop/channel  or one heck of a fiberglass man (person; sorry) to glass a perfect extension.  finding a donor would still be $$$$. shipping/ rework etc. guessing the truck for an extended hood would be a 700 needing a hood and you have a 600 hood donor ? 

• Like 1

Jones doesn't offer a R700 hood. At least I can't find one on the website.

I recently read a post here about a CL that had been converted to a set forward axle. Then they had to "stretch" a CH hood to complete the conversion. That got me to thinking. 

Mech, I think you're on the right track. Splicing two hoods would be a better option.

• Like 1

Such a stretch could be done for sure but wouldn't be an easy deal. Original design of R-model hoods is quite complex. There's an outer shell of what you see from the outside and an inner one. The inner shell conteins the central portion and side walls which isolate the engine bay and form the wheel arches. At the factory they make two shells separately and than glue one into the other. The inner shell has reinforcement bends so when it's in place they become to be tubular channels you can see from the down below.

Telling that you would not only need to add skin to your hood but also perform (actually form) reinforcement channels longer to the cowl end. You sure wouldn't like the seam to crack down in the future so the edge of the existing hood where you add must be ground to as sharp corner as possible to allow overlap of 2 inches or so. Another problem is achieving suitable flatness of the top surface and sides which would require perfect fit of the additional section or (my guess) lots and lots of filler and sanding. 

It's difficult to estimate possible expenses of such a job in your situation but if it would be $2-3K I wouldn't surprize.

Personally I have never done such stretch but have experience of extensive fixing of two R600 hoods. The 2nd one was done in this passed summer by a guy I hired for. He's a body/paint guy so knew the deal in general. Overall it took him 3-4 weeks of grinding/glueing up and I bought 30 kg of epoxy resin, 15 kg of hardener and 15 kg of glass fiber stock. Being honest I have a couple of kilo's rest and uncount amount of dust taken off a vacuum cleaner. He ended up with what I wanted but we haven't it primered and filled so far. And I hope we will in the next summer...

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

reality it would be easier to stretch a frame then a 600 to 700 hood. not like your stretching couple of feet. difference between a 6 and 7 is inches . reenforcing isn't the challenge, the stress on that extension is the issue. a cab which "floats"  constantly  pressures the extension. searching for a 700 hood from this observation point makes more sense ..  don't remember the original post. send the hood to mowerman ;; LOL now there is an experienced hood man for fiberglass work;;; he can redo it . (on the spot now)  Bob .🤣 jack daniels  told me to say it . LOL

• Haha 2

• Solution

Yes, wondering and figuring is the way to new. If the mankind were only duplicating we would still use wariations of stones, not trucks, smartphones etc.

One more aspect floated up in my mind when I typed the above yesterday was the angle the hood sides go from the cowl to the nose. The cowl width is the same and the nose area is too probably equal wide between R600 and R700. If so the angle between hood sides of R700 is sharper. And if you add extension at the cowl its sides should be parallel, not the same surface as the R600 hood side. I just didn't type that originally, there was enogh for that post.  

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

bouncing craigslist found a R-700 hood  for sale . was on northwest OK; problem with  craigs  list is adds are posted from all  states not just area you search. the hood states Denton Dallas. $850.oo OBO. definitely not brand new pictures show it needs work. just passing on found info.

• Like 1