Preferred exhaust expansion font.

So, I made up the exhaust from the turbo down to where it goes horizontal between the trans and frame but, in my zeal to get that done , I did not think that it would/may require an expansion joint. The pipe is solid between the turbo and the clamp mounted to the trans mount which is all solid but I was not thinking about thermal expansion.  What are the pros and cons of the woven SS joints vs the steel bellows type or is there a 3rd, better option??. 

Its not an expansion joint, it's a flex pipe. You're fine on rigid pipe until you make the transition to the frame mounted muffler stand. That transition will need to be flex pipe. Never used the bellows type.

The engine and transmission can rock sideways in the frame a good bit under load. Especially if your transmission bolts work loose.... 🙄

Edited by JoeH

12 hours ago, JoeH said:

You're fine on rigid pipe until you make the transition to the frame mounted muffler stand. That transition will need to be flex pipe.

Yes, I know I need flex pipe (and rubber mounts) to allow for movement between the power train and the frame/cab. This is pipe mounted rigid at the turbo to a rigid mount on the trans, about 40" long. There can be no movement between those two mounting points since the motor and trans are "one", but my concern is thermal expansion. Will the pipe "grow" when it heats up putting stress on the pipe and the two mounting points requiring an expansion joint to allow for said "growth", or am I over thinking this ?. 

I think you're overthinking it. Its thin wall metal, and gets softer the more you heat it up.  I'd think the pipe would give before anything else.  My '79 endt676 is rigid pipe off turbo, down along transmission, and below frame.  It then has flex pipe before heading to the muffler.  Pyro says downshift at 1125 degrees, and it's factory rigid.

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 1

Thanks Joe. I just called the guy that I bought the cab from as I THOUGHT I had seen an expansion joint on his B-61. He said "nope", rigid all the way is the norm and it is common to have a solid clamp close to where I put mine. Had me concerned as this is EXACTLY the kind of screw up I do on a regular basis where to would be easy to fix NOW but difficult after the thing is done IE. the cab is on it.  

• Like 1